PDA

View Full Version : BCA Privatizing League Program

Mr Ingrate
02-10-2004, 05:04 PM
Here is an exerpt taken from a letter received by my BCA league operator. It origninates from other league operators, not BCA.

"The Billiard Congress of America (BCA) is a non-profit association. The BCA Board of Directors is composed pimarily of manufacturers, retailers and proprietors concerned with trade within the billiard industry. If you examine the board of directors listed on the website, you will note that no league or player representation exists; yet the President of the American Poolplayers Association (APA) serves on a board seat. There is no representation for our contingent despite the league membership being the largest membership in the organization - both in numbers (60,000) and in membership income to the association which this board directs.

The most profitable program to the BCA is the annual Trade Show, usually held in Las Vegas. The leagues and player programs are also profitable, but not to the extent of the trade show.

With this understanding, the board of directors has evolved to the point where it no longer wishes to oversee league and player issues; so it can concentrate its efforts on trade matters. We applaud this decision, but we do not abide with the direction this decision has taken. The Board of Directors, with little discussion towards spinning the leagues and player programs off to its own not-for-profit sanctioning body, has determined to sell the leagues to a for-profit entity in the hopes that a for-profit entity would have the strongest incentive to expand the league and player programs - greed.

The Presidents of various BCA state associations have voiced their disapproval of this direction in letters to the BCA. These individuals recognize that the BCA league system is attractive to the majority of pool leagues (of all types) in this country because it is a not-for-profit sanctioning body best overseen by a board of directors, not an owner.

We request your support in drawing the BCA board of Director's attention to this concern. If successful, we hope the BCA Board will assist us in spinning off a new national league sanctioning body governed by a board of league operators, players and business people - administered as a financially responsible non-profit association chiefly guided by the interest of the sport.

Should the BCA Board go forward in selling the leagues and player programs (and they have hired a broker to locate interested bidders and coordinate the sale), the Presidents of the various BCA state associations are prepared to establish a new national league sanctioning body for the 2004/2005 league year with a national 8-ball championship at its conclusion. This is not the direction we desire, but if the board does not reconsider its decision (we believe most current BCA leagues would not want to sanction under a for-profit entity), it may be our only alternative."

Anyone know what's going?

SpiderMan
02-11-2004, 10:37 AM
I'm very interested in knowing more about this, so I'll
bring it back to the top of the page for awhile.

RandyG, do you know anything about it?

SpiderMan

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Mr Ingrate:</font><hr> Here is an exerpt taken from a letter received by my BCA league operator. It origninates from other league operators, not BCA.

"The Billiard Congress of America (BCA) is a non-profit association. The BCA Board of Directors is composed pimarily of manufacturers, retailers and proprietors concerned with trade within the billiard industry. If you examine the board of directors listed on the website, you will note that no league or player representation exists; yet the President of the American Poolplayers Association (APA) serves on a board seat. There is no representation for our contingent despite the league membership being the largest membership in the organization - both in numbers (60,000) and in membership income to the association which this board directs.

The most profitable program to the BCA is the annual Trade Show, usually held in Las Vegas. The leagues and player programs are also profitable, but not to the extent of the trade show.

With this understanding, the board of directors has evolved to the point where it no longer wishes to oversee league and player issues; so it can concentrate its efforts on trade matters. We applaud this decision, but we do not abide with the direction this decision has taken. The Board of Directors, with little discussion towards spinning the leagues and player programs off to its own not-for-profit sanctioning body, has determined to sell the leagues to a for-profit entity in the hopes that a for-profit entity would have the strongest incentive to expand the league and player programs - greed.

The Presidents of various BCA state associations have voiced their disapproval of this direction in letters to the BCA. These individuals recognize that the BCA league system is attractive to the majority of pool leagues (of all types) in this country because it is a not-for-profit sanctioning body best overseen by a board of directors, not an owner.

We request your support in drawing the BCA board of Director's attention to this concern. If successful, we hope the BCA Board will assist us in spinning off a new national league sanctioning body governed by a board of league operators, players and business people - administered as a financially responsible non-profit association chiefly guided by the interest of the sport.

Should the BCA Board go forward in selling the leagues and player programs (and they have hired a broker to locate interested bidders and coordinate the sale), the Presidents of the various BCA state associations are prepared to establish a new national league sanctioning body for the 2004/2005 league year with a national 8-ball championship at its conclusion. This is not the direction we desire, but if the board does not reconsider its decision (we believe most current BCA leagues would not want to sanction under a for-profit entity), it may be our only alternative."

Anyone know what's going?
<hr /></blockquote>

Pelican
02-11-2004, 12:55 PM
Anytime the profit motive is brought into play things usually get more and more expensive. If another organization spins off to retain the not for profit aspect and can keep the BCA format I hope it would really expand it's base. We do not have BCA where I am located so I shoot APA. Nothing against APA, I just prefer some of the rules provided by BCA.

houstondan
02-11-2004, 01:17 PM
direct answer: no.

but, i copied it to my league operator for response. it would seem that the most likely bidder would be apa.

oh boy.

dan

pooltchr
02-11-2004, 02:55 PM
I guess I don't see what exactly the BCA has to sell. The leagues in and of themselves are only the rosters of players that pay their dues to play in the league. If the APA bought it, how many players would switch to APA? The two leagues are geared toward a different type of player. APA is more for beginner and casual players. BCA seems to be more for the advanced skill players. But the BCA doesn't own the leagues. They just collect the dues and run the national events and handle the pay-outs for those events. They are not franchises like the APA leagues. Anyone can start a BCA league just by doing the paperwork and sending in the dues. How much value can there be in a league like that? (I'm asking from a business standpoint...I know there is value to the players)

Buzzsaw
02-11-2004, 03:38 PM
Unfortunately, I don't know a whole lot about BCA charter memberships. I believe for anyone to hold a sanctioned VNEA tournament or league you have to be a charter member. In order to be a charter member you must be a vendor of some sort within the billiard community. Is it the same for BCA? If so then I don't think just anyone could start one of these leagues. BCA would have to change their by-laws as well.

Mr Ingrate
02-11-2004, 05:40 PM
Hi Dan,

I agree with you on the most likely bidder; however, the USPPA could be a dark horse. I played USPPA for awhile when I was in CA and liked it a lot.

randyg
02-11-2004, 06:43 PM
SPIDERMAN: Know too much. Most everything said is rumor. The BCA did hired a private comopany to see if their league system was profitable or NOT. The answer was yes. Most BCA Board Members do not understand the league structure, nor do they care to.

I beleive that we will always have a not-for-profit BCA Pool League Organization. Either the Board will spin it off with John Lewis in charge or a group of current league operators will acquire the league system and govern it under the guidence and blessing of the BCA. I'm not in any form of panic or sweat, this is way to large to F--k up. Even the BCA Board can't screw this up.

Just for your info, I did submit a bid to purchase the BCA League with intentions to have it continue as is. The only difference would be our own Board of Directors (League Operators) to govern.....randyg

Scott Lee
02-11-2004, 09:16 PM
Steve...Somebody must see a value. I heard through the grapevine, that the starting bid was $700K! That not chickenfeed! LOL

Scott Lee

pooltchr
02-12-2004, 06:37 AM
Scott,
Obviously someone with a lot more money than I have! I guess my thoughts would be that if someone were to pay that kind of money, it would be hard to justify keeping it as a non-profit organization...unless it was someone that really loves the game, and needs a pretty nice tax write-off. Anyway, I'm glad Randy jumped in to shed some light on the situation.
Vegas in April?
Steve

randyg
02-12-2004, 09:42 AM
POOLTCHER: Non-Profit does not mean that you can not make a profit. A careing benefactor would certainly recover his investment and more.....randyg

UWPoolGod
02-12-2004, 09:54 AM
Non-profit as in not increasing the bank account..but still paid off the house (used at an office no doubt), car (used for heading to BCA meetings), computer (have to update rankings)....etc.

Rich R.
02-12-2004, 11:10 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote UWPoolGod:</font><hr> Non-profit as in not increasing the bank account..but still paid off the house (used at an office no doubt), car (used for heading to BCA meetings), computer (have to update rankings)....etc. <hr /></blockquote>
It could also mean salaried administrators and staff. /ccboard/images/graemlins/blush.gif

pooltchr
02-12-2004, 01:25 PM
Randy, If someone like you were to buy it, I would suspect it would be as much a labor of love as a profit making venture. I have nothing against making a profit. That's why I charge for lessons. I just don't think we need another APA type league.
JMHO
Steve

randyg
02-12-2004, 03:18 PM
POOLTCHER: Certainly not a very good investment. Would have to be a labor of love. How's your school going. I hear nothing but great things about you.....randyg

Scott Lee
02-12-2004, 05:00 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote pooltchr:</font><hr> Scott,
Vegas in April?
Steve <hr /></blockquote>

Yes...see you there!

Scott

randyg
02-12-2004, 06:18 PM
Scott &amp; Steve: Let's do lunch together on Friday?....randyg

pooltchr
02-13-2004, 06:29 AM
I have never been one to turn down a lunch invitation!
School is doing well. I have a student this weekend, and a couple of guys that want to take the course in a couple of weeks. Will want to talk about the next step with you sometime soon.
Thanks for the compliment!
See you in Vegas.
Steve

Scott Lee
02-13-2004, 11:42 AM
Randy...Count me in!

Scott

reiny
02-15-2004, 02:15 AM
&gt;i am one of the bca assoc. presidents opposed to "selling us players out"..if the sale goes through myself and 16 other presidents will form new assoc. with same rules and non profit status...as for randy g. saying he has submitted bid this is not true to my knowledge as of friday...i would hope that our efforts to get the bca board to "spin us off" to non-profit status will succede as splitiing the bca leagues up would be tragic to the sport of pool..we need the support of you the players and operators to make this happen..feel free to call me and discuss this matter in depth 608-963-8811...i would be happy to enlighten any of you concerned bca players on this situation...
thanks for all your efforts!
randy r.-wis bca president

randyg
02-15-2004, 07:03 PM
REINY: I agree, keep us together. Hope for a spin-off.

The BCA Board had a meeting this week end in Az. The sale of the league is NOT on their adjenda.

I was the very first person to submit(in writing)that I would like to be considered as a potential "buyer", if the Board is going to sell the league. Several Board members have called me and discussed my intentions for the league....randyg