PDA

View Full Version : Favorite Pool Movie

YourHero
02-10-2004, 06:32 PM
when i think of pool movies, only 3 come to my mind.

The Hustler
The Color of Money
Poolhall Junkies

Now The Hustler was pretty damn serious, and Poolhall Junkies was all fun, Color of Money seemed to fall right in the middle. Personally, I was able to watch Poolhall Junkies more than a few times. The others I haven't watched as much, but are still quality movies. Which do you guys think are the best? and are there any others i may be missing out on?

CaptMorgan
02-10-2004, 07:18 PM
I gotta go with the Hustler. It's just one of those classic movies I can watch whenever I'm bored and never really grow tired of. Color of Money was good and I've watched it a dozen times but I just can't see it on the same level as The Hustler. Poolhall Junkies is by far the more entertaining as far as making me laugh and stuff and it's more up to speed with today's rooms but it just doesn't capture pool like The Hustler, just something about the classics you gotta love.

JPB
02-10-2004, 07:48 PM
The Hustler is so far better than the others that it isn't close. It isn't a debate really. The only debate is whether the Hustler was a pool movie. It wasn't really. But it portrays pool better than all the others. To compare The Hustler with the other two is an insult to The Hustler and unfair to the others.

BTW, Stickmen was kind of entertaining. Predictable, kind of stupid, but some hilarious parts. Good soundtrack.

9ballbc
02-10-2004, 10:34 PM
Here are the "pool" movies: Hustler, Baltimore Bullet, Baron and the Kid, Color of Money, Kiss Shot, Chalk, Running Out, and finally....Poolhall Junkies.

I have them all. The Hustler and Chalk are the most realistic depiction of the game at it's darkest and most dramatic moments. The Hustler is my favorite. Chalk is a low budget film with poor lighting and sound but it's a good movie - a little on the dark and dreary side. In The Color of Money, Tom Cruise plays an unbelievably over cocky punk that would get beat up in most places within the first 10 minutes of playing.(too unreal)

Kiss Shot is a good family oriented film. Baltimore Bullet is a good movie - more of a comedy, but some slick hustling goes on. Baron and the Kid is Johnny Cash's version of "The Gambler" with Kenny Rodgers - only it's about pool instead of poker. I have not seen Running Out but I have tried to contact the producer to get a copy. No luck yet. He told me he was going to get a bigger budget and re-shoot the movie but he didn't offer me a copy of the low budget version. I really liked PoolHall Junkies. I think my favorite character was the rich guy played by Christopher Walken.

Sorry to be so long.....just wanted to write a little about each movie made. Thanks, BC

Ralph S.
02-10-2004, 10:37 PM
The Hustler....hands down.

woody_968
02-11-2004, 09:56 AM
I would have to also say the hustler. But I must admit when I was around 21 or 22 the Color of Money was the only pool movie I had, and therefore had watched it so often I had the whole movie memorized /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Dagwood
02-11-2004, 10:49 AM
I would have to say that I enjoy each movie which I own equally...The Hustler, The Color of Money, and Poolhall Junkies. Each one brings a different perspective to the pool life. Of course, The Hustler is the classic, with great acting performances by Jackie Gleason, Paul Neuman, George C. Scott, and Piper Laurie. I think that out of the three, Poolhall Junkies is the movie most pool shooters nowadays will identify with, of course because it's the most modern of the three. Hard for me to choose which one is the "best", but just on a merit basis, I'd have to say The Hustler.

Dags

Big Dave
02-11-2004, 01:35 PM
Has anyone seen this movie yet? http://www.behindthenine.com/.

Cueless Joey
02-11-2004, 01:49 PM
Is this even a question?
The Hustler is a classic. The rest are soso or duds.

WaltVA
02-11-2004, 03:35 PM
An "underground 9-ball tournament for $500,000 cash"???

Walt in VA

datplayer
02-11-2004, 07:27 PM
The Hustler may be the best made movie and a classic, but, imo, The Color of Money is much more fun to watch. I wasn't even able to watch the Hustler in one sitting. But again, it's a matter of opinion. No need to blast the other films if you don't like them.

logixrat
02-11-2004, 09:34 PM
If it's about pool, it has to be good right? Personally I found PHJ the most entertaining. I have Color of Money on DVD and am working on the other two. They are all good, just in different aspects...and all worthy of owning, at least IMHO.

bigshooter
02-11-2004, 09:39 PM
The Hustler has my vote although I do love the Color of Money escpecially since it came out just as I was graduating high school and moving into the most serious pool playing era of my life and it got me really charged up but everytime The Hustler is on I watch at least part of it, I just can't resist.

Keith Talent
02-11-2004, 10:59 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Cueless Joey:</font><hr> The Hustler is a classic. The rest are soso or duds. <hr /></blockquote>

How true. And it amazes me that this could be the case when I think of all the gut-wrenching stories I've sifted through just reading this board over the past year. The game has a romantic appeal to nonplayers, no doubt, but only "The Hustler" came close to capturing the pathos of it all ... and even that had some false touches -- the trick shots, the heavy drinking during a high-stakes, all-night game (or am I wrong here? ... I can't imagine anybody boozing while playing for 20G. Taking speed, OK, but nothing that would drag you down.)

It's been said that "Playing off the Rail" could make a decent flick, and I think it could, though it doesn't really have a dramatic climax ... it just sort of stumbles to a close when no more big games can be found.

Opportunity's knockin, I'd say.

ryushen21
02-11-2004, 11:47 PM
I gotta go with The Hustler. If for no other reason than they played my game in the movie. Straight Pool all the way!

Wally_in_Cincy
02-12-2004, 08:53 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Keith Talent:</font><hr>...It's been said that "Playing off the Rail" could make a decent flick, ... <hr /></blockquote>

I've said it before and I'll say it again. McGoorty needs to be made into a movie. Or even a tv series. A different adventure every week. With narration by "McGoorty". Who would be good for that role?

Frank_Glenn
02-12-2004, 11:06 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Wally_in_Cincy:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote Keith Talent:</font><hr>...It's been said that "Playing off the Rail" could make a decent flick, ... <hr /></blockquote>

I've said it before and I'll say it again. McGoorty needs to be made into a movie. Or even a tv series. A different adventure every week. With narration by "McGoorty". Who would be good for that role? <hr /></blockquote>

John Huston, unfortunately, he isn't available.

hondo
02-13-2004, 01:29 PM
The Hustler was great.
Color of Money- pool shots were too arty farty.
Did anyone other than me like The Baltimore Bullet?

boalt06
02-14-2004, 01:20 AM
While it is a close call, it is still an esay answer: the hustler! For the first reason, Fast Eddie. Fast Eddie is way cooler than Vince, and the former could definately kick the latter's ass. And, Paul Newman is better than Tom Cruise. Finally, Fast Eddie has way better lines than tom cruise. I.e., "Kid, I dont rattle, but just for that, I'm gonna beat you flat!" /ccboard/images/graemlins/cool.gif

cycopath
02-16-2004, 03:19 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote hondo:</font><hr>Did anyone other than me like The Baltimore Bullet? <hr /></blockquote>

It was about pool, so I liked it.

Wished they'd showed the blonde's chest a bit more though.

Alex_Delodge
02-16-2004, 11:12 PM
Hustler of course.

I'm finding it hard to understand that no one hated Pool Room Junkies like I did.

You have a movie about pool in which it's obvious all the supposedly good players know [censored] all about pool. Every one of you took one look at the way these people were stroking and said these people couldn't hold a cue I could give them the 5 out.

The main character is supposed to be a top player but he has never played any other top players, just losers? We all know that no one can get even close to professional level without playing people of top caliber, and playing them over and over for years.

The same guy sets up a time shot we all know you could practice forever and not have a great percentage on and he shoots it one handed for huge stakes? I wanted to puke.

This guy's supposed to be a top player and be a veteran at the game and he's banking shots over and over in a game money game? His arm's swollen and black and blue and he's going to be able to compete with "another" pro?

His friends who have been around pool rooms for years but are not as good as the main character have never seen anyone dump? Instead they say "something's wrong, he didn't play like that before? Then he keeps playing the pro until he's bankrupt, and goes out to get more money afterwards, after the pro has not even kept the game close but has shown his true speed and he would know he needs the 5 out to win?

Then near the end the main character has to ask the advice of the pool room owner as to how to play safe on the most rudimentary safety that anyone who has been playing for more than a few months has learned?

Then finally, the pro gets his comeuppance on a "gotcha" trick that would only work on a six year old?

What a piece of [censored].