PDA

View Full Version : New Table, Awkward Roll

YourHero
02-10-2004, 06:43 PM
a buddy of mine just got a new table about a month ago, it's 8x4, but fairly inexpensive (for a pool table at least), i'd say $1000-1200. Anyways, after about a month of playing, i've noticed that the balls roll very very weird.

if you hit them with a good amount of speed they'll go their intended paths, but when you're doing a slower shot, they'll take the strangest curves, veering way off the straight line it should go. and this isn't due to english or anything liek that, i mean it literally seems liek there's a dent in the table the way some of these balls roll.

we leveled the table and everything, i was wonder what it could be that's making these balls roll strange. a few things i thought might be it were:

1) the felt might not be stretched completely, it is somewhat loose but it seems pretty level to me.

2) those fuzzies that build up on the felt, he reallly hasn't brushed it down, but i don't think that they could effect the roll of the balls that much.

3) he did buy his balls at walmart for like 30-40 bucks, could that maybe be it?

any suggestions would be helpful, it's really frustrating sometimes when you're trying to kiss a ball or position play and the ball doesn't follow it's path.

nAz
02-10-2004, 06:56 PM
Is it a real slate table 3 piece or some kind of subsatute like wood or plastic that warps quickly.
if it's a 1-piece slate it can be cumbersome and difficult to level. It is generally only " in thickness and may warp, preventing a flat surface.

CaptMorgan
02-10-2004, 07:28 PM
yeah man cheap balls could be the problem if the arent "perfectly round" but I would bank it more on either the felt or what's underneath the felt be it slate or whatever. Some felts can get gulleys (gutters, ditches, dogtrails, whatever you call them) in them from extended use where balls are hit in the same place a lot. Sort of like the streaks you see on tables with a lot of 9 ball played on them. You always see the trails from each side of the head string down to the spot from where ppl break. On tables with bad felt you'll see weird rolls around these places sometimes. I'd say invest a couple hundred and upgrade to Simonis cloth, it's about the only thing I'll play on since the first time I played on it. Unless you find out it's the slate, then nothing will save you but new slate.

Paul_Mon
02-11-2004, 07:52 AM
IMO, you've got two things to do that may help. Stretch the cloth tighter and brush the table down. If your cloth is making fuzzies (pilling) these will definitely make the balls roll off. If these rolloff's are random then the pilling and loose cloth will probably eliminate them. If you can repeat the rolloffs then it is probably the table level, or a popped seam. Try brushing it down first or you can use the attachment on the vacuum cleaner. With cloth such as yours you want to start at the head of the table (where you break) and brush/vacuum towards the foot.

Paul Mon

woody_968
02-11-2004, 09:42 AM
Do the balls roll off in one certain area or is it just once in a while? It could be several things, but the cheap balls could be the answer. I bought a cheap set just to get going and some of mine are out of round or unballanced. The fifteen ball in my set will literaly "wobble" back and forth when I set it on the table. Cant wait to order my centennials /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

hhsaloon
02-11-2004, 12:45 PM
Even after addressing the cloth and possible slate issues, I think you have problems with those balls. A while back I was talking to a table mechanic about everything under the sun about why the balls didn't roll true on my table. I answered all his questions and his last question was about the balls. I said it couldn't be the balls they cost $50! The rest of the experienced CCB'rs can envision the grin this guy had on his face. That is when he educated me on the cost of a GOOD set of balls. I replaced the set I had with some centenials and never had that problem again. I was about ready to get underneath the house and put in some cinder block piers directly under the legs of the table because I was sure the house was crooked. Invest in a good set, you won't be sorry.

Steve - Detroit
02-11-2004, 01:09 PM
Throw the balls in a box and take them to the local pool hall where you know the tables are good. If they still roll strange you'll know they're the cause. If they roll true, at least you've eliminated them from the equation.

logixrat
02-11-2004, 09:43 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote YourHero:</font><hr>
we leveled the table and everything, i was wonder what it could be that's making these balls roll strange. a few things i thought might be it were:
<hr /></blockquote>

I'm suprised no one has asked this....but, how EXACTLY did you level your table?? Did you and your buddy do it yourself? If so, did you use a PRECISION level commonly referred to as a "machinist level" (aka "Starret level")? I only ask because many people think you can use a carpenter level like you can get from Home Depot or Lowe's to level a table. The truth is that carpenter level may get you close, but you will need the machinist level to get it down to the dime so the balls don't roll awkwardly.

Assuming you already leveled the table the RIGHT way, then heed the great advice of these other fine people.

Good luck!!

ceebee
02-12-2004, 07:58 AM
one method of testing the levelness of a Pool Table is to place an 18 inch square piece of good &amp; clean glass on the table. Then place the Cue ball on the glass... the Ball will roll in the direction of the low spot.

The term "good" glass means that the side of the pane are true &amp; parallel.

If the ball rolls toward a certain spot, rotate the pane of glass 90 degrees &amp; check to see if the ball rolls to the same spot. If it does, the pane of glass is probably OK.

Place the pane of glass in several spots for a god check of the table. In the final analysis, the rool of the ball will "tell the tale".

YourHero
02-12-2004, 03:32 PM
thanks for all the suggestions, i went to his house yesterday and i noticed that already the cloth was close to becoming unhinged at the pockets, so it could be that it simply isn't tight enough. but we're going to try all those methods and see how it goes. btw, he got it for real cheap, i checked under and it isn't slate, it seems to be some kind of wood, but still, i don't think that it could warp after barely a month's use could it? thanks for all the advice.

Paul_Mon
02-13-2004, 12:13 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote YourHero:</font><hr> i checked under and it isn't slate, it seems to be some kind of wood, but still, i don't think that it could warp after barely a month's use could it? <hr /></blockquote>

Yep it could've. Or more than likely it was never flat to begin with. Don't throw a lot of money at this table.

Paul Mon

logixrat
02-14-2004, 12:20 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote YourHero:</font><hr>btw, he got it for real cheap, i checked under and it isn't slate, it seems to be some kind of wood, but still, i don't think that it could warp after barely a month's use could it? thanks for all the advice. <hr /></blockquote>

Not sure your technical depth with pool tables, but many times a real slate table has what they call a "slate liner" glued directly to it, so it forms "one piece". Basically you have your 3/4" to 1" thick slate and then glue holding a piece of 3/4" particle board (usually). And when you look from the bottom, it may appear as wood only as all you can see is the slate liner.

Was you there when the table got covered? If so, was the TOP grey or still wood? Also, can you EASILY lift the table up? If so, it is probably wood. Just be careful not to pass it off as a piece of crap just because it was "cheap".