PDA

View Full Version : Update on Predator BK Ferrule problem

Eric.
02-11-2004, 11:24 AM
I have a Predator BK that had a ferrle that started mushrooming and developed several small stress cracks.

http://www.billiardsdigest.com/ccboard/showthreaded.php?Cat=&Board=ccb&Number=117388&Foru m=All_Forums&Words=Eric.&Match=Username&Searchpage =0&Limit=25&Old=allposts&Main=117388&Search=true#P ost117388

When I first called Predator and spoke toa woman that answered the phone, after hearing me describe the situation, mentioned that it doesn't sound like a warranty item. This was a problem with me as the warranty states "the entire shaft is covered...except warpage,etc...". So the big question; Is the ferrule a covered item?

The bottom line is:

I sent the shaft to Predator. They took care of the ferrule under warranty and returned my shaft in a reasonably quick turnaround, no questions asked.

What I'm trying to say is that Predator does stand behind their product. I'm happy with my warranty experience and want to let people know. Like the old saying, "If you're unsatisfied, tell me and if you're taken care of, tell everybody." (O.k., maybe it's not a saying and I pulled it outta my @ss).

Eric >and there was much rejoicing in the village...

woody_968
02-11-2004, 11:52 AM
Glad to here they took care of it for you. A little customer service goes a long way.

rocky
02-11-2004, 02:07 PM
Hey Eric glad to here that you were happy FYI the mushrooming comes from your shaft grazing the cloth as you follow through. Our ferrule is made of a heat sensitive material and this creates tramendous heat and causes the ferrule to soften and mushroom.

Ralph S.
02-11-2004, 02:30 PM
That is a good thing to hear, even though I am anti-Predator. Customer service seems to be a thing of the past in so many situations these days. Glad you were taken care of appropriately.

SPetty
02-11-2004, 03:29 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote rocky:</font><hr> FYI the mushrooming comes from your shaft grazing the cloth as you follow through.<hr /></blockquote>Hi rocky,

So what is it then that causes a well treated not abused not left in the car not leaned against the wall Predator shaft to warp and why isn't that covered under warranty?

Eric.
02-11-2004, 03:33 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote rocky:</font><hr> Hey Eric glad to here that you were happy FYI the mushrooming comes from your shaft grazing the cloth as you follow through. Our ferrule is made of a heat sensitive material and this creates tramendous heat and causes the ferrule to soften and mushroom. <hr /></blockquote>

Actually, FWIW, I don't drag my tip on the cloth when I break. The tip never touches the felt. My unexpert opinion is that the ferrule didn't hold up to the pounding. It also developed several small stress fractures that would have eventually turned into a split ferrule. I hope it doesnt happen again, time will tell. I do know that Predator took care of it so that is one Atta-boy to them.

Eric

SpiderMan
02-12-2004, 01:45 PM
Eric,

In your original post you said that Predator told you the problem was not under warranty, but now you note that they fixed it under warranty. What did you do to get them to change their minds? SPetty (who had dinner with us in 'Vegas last year) has also had problems with Predator regarding warranty service. Should she just ignore what they tell her over the phone, and send in her shaft?

SpiderMan

ps - I also believe Ken (AKA Rackemup) had a Predator BK, and the shaft delaminated or split when he shot with it. Maybe he'll chime in with some warranty advice.

Eric.
02-12-2004, 02:53 PM
Hey Spidey,

When I first called Predator, I spoke to someone who answered the phone, who put me on hold, then came back and said "it's probably not warranty but take it to a Predator dealer and have it inspected." I don't know who she was or what her position with Predator is. I called back a second time and discussed that I took it to a dealer and he said to call Predator(big help!), so Predator told me to send it in with a note. I sent the shaft in, waited, got a package back with the repaired shaft.

This is from Predators warranty:

"Your Predator Cue and or 314 Shaft is warranted for life against any manufacturer defect that does not include warpage or abuse.
SHAFT:

The 314’s spliced shaft needs no different care than a conventional shaft. We do not recommend sanding. Very fine micro papers or burnishing is about all you need. Do not expose the shaft to excessive moisture. Don’t steam the shaft to remove dings, wet only the ding itself or the warranty will be void.

FERRULE:

DO NOT TRY TO REPLACE THE 314 FERRULE OR TURN IT DOWN BELOW 12.25MM; if you do, it will no longer be covered under warranty. The 314 ferrule is a polymer developed specifically for its’ properties of stiffness and hardness. Much of the 314 shaft’s performance can be attributed to our ferrule’s design and composition. A very fine micro paper (1000 grit) will remove most scratches. Careful sanding is essential since the wood, being much softer, could be sanded to a smaller diameter than the ferrule. If you feel you need a new ferrule, send it to us and we will replace your ferrule and tip and condition your shaft and send it back to you UPS for $40.00

My interpretation of the lifetime warranty (for the ferrule) is that it's covered, provided that I didn't abuse it per the exclusions listed.

I hope Ken and SPetty had their problems taken care of. I can say that Predator stood behind their product with me. To me, this is big. I feel good doing business with a company that gives me what they promise, no more, no less.

Hope all is well with you.

Eric &gt;understands that the 314 shaft I sawed in half IS NOT covered...

SPetty
02-12-2004, 05:44 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Eric.:</font><hr> ...understands that the 314 shaft I sawed in half IS NOT covered...<hr /></blockquote>Did we ever get pictures of that? I don't remember seeing pictures of that... /ccboard/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Eric.
02-13-2004, 08:49 AM
Hi SPetty,

I never took pics. When we did it, it was a spur of the moment thing(out of boredom) and for that matter, I didn't have a digital camera then. Since, I bought a digital camera(welcome to the 90's /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif ) and will properly document all future experiments for the benefit of the CCB /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Eric