PDA

View Full Version : Pool Instructor in Atlanta? also practicing...

peet234
02-11-2004, 08:05 PM
First question is does anyone know of a pool instructor in Atlanta? Also, how does one judge whether an individual is qualified to instruct? What are rates normally?

Also, I'm wondering if this is even worth it, since I don't have my own table. I have a couple books on order, but not sure either if they help without a table. I go to a bar apa league, large place, but it isn't really conducive to practicing some nights, since I don't get free balls all the time and at 8.50 an hour, this really adds up. I really would like to get better but I think I need at least 5 hours of practice a week on top of apa night but that's like 50$ just to practice a week (assuming I would find a quieter place to do this.) Thoughts appreciated.

randyg
02-11-2004, 09:06 PM
Larry Giles is very good....randyg

Scott Lee
02-11-2004, 09:18 PM
Randy...Larry lives in Orlando, FL, not Atlanta.

Scott

dmgwalsh
02-12-2004, 04:47 AM
$8.50 an hour sounds kind of pricey. Too bad you couldn't get to a pool hall. Sometimes they have reduced rates for weekend afternoons. Dennis

pooltchr
02-12-2004, 06:45 AM
Getting an instructor is a good idea whether or not you have a table at home. There are a lot of rooms in Atlanta, so you might shop around for a better table rate. Mr Cue's II, Twains, The Pool Room (Marietta, I believe Archer is the house pro there) just to name a couple. If you find an instructor, he should be able to make some other suggestions as well. Do some checking around.

KevinS
02-12-2004, 09:34 AM
The PoolRoom is a great room, you should check it out. Johnny is the house pro but lessons are given by okinawa slim(oki-slim@atlantabilliards.com) Also I believe Mark gregory does lessons at Murphys Brass Rail in Athens. Helena Thornsfeld plays out of Mr. Cues II and does lessons. CCB's own Fast Larry also teaches in Atlanta. The PoolRooms rates should be lower than 8.50. I play league and tournaments there so most of my practicing is done before them for free. They also have free pool with lunch during the week.

Kevin

randyg
02-12-2004, 09:37 AM
Scott: Just a few hundred miles error. He would have to be veeeery good at that distance.....randyg

peet234
02-12-2004, 11:00 PM
Thanks for the input. Marietta is a slight hike for me as I'm out in Gwinnett Co. Mr Cues II might be worth checking out though, as it isn't that far and I know a couple people who go out there. I guess I should call them out or go there. There must be better rates and I would rather have a pool hall as opposed to a bar to practice in when it wasn't as social of an event.

But hey, I've never had a lesson. How many are good to start with?

pooltchr
02-13-2004, 06:34 AM
peet,
I am going to be running some tournaments in Georgia this year. If you are interested, pm me and we can set up some time if you like. You can check my web site for info about lessons.
Steve

Scott Lee
02-13-2004, 11:33 AM
/ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Scott Lee
02-13-2004, 11:39 AM
One lesson is good to start with. The instructor should be able to show you enough in the first lesson, to give you plenty to practice for some time to come. Sometimes I will give a student a 2nd lesson a week later, but more often, it is a month or longer. There should be videotaping involved in the lesson, so that you can see your mistakes.

Scott Lee