PDA

View Full Version : Mexican futball fans have no class...

nAz
02-11-2004, 10:53 PM
well some don't anyway.

Crowd jeers eliminated U.S. team with chants of `Osama!'

Wednesday, February 11, 2004

(02-11) 13:32 PST GUADALAJARA, Mexico (AP) --

The boos nearly drowned out "The Star-Spangled Banner," and a few dozen fans chanted "Osama! Osama!" as the United States was eliminated by Mexico in Olympic men's soccer qualifying.

A loud anti-American crowd hollered as Mexico beat the United States 4-0 Tuesday night in the under-23 tournament, claiming a berth in the Athens Olympics.

As U.S. players left the stadium for their bus, several fans -- some clutching beers -- chanted "Osama! Osama!" in reference to al-Qaeda leader Osama bin Laden.

"It's better than having things thrown at you," U.S. Soccer Federation president Bob Contiguglia said Wednesday after returning to Colorado Springs, Colo. "I was bothered by the whistling during the national anthem. It's just the way it is. You accept it. Our kids showed a lot of dignity. They didn't do silly things on the field."

Police in riot gear held back the crowd and urged people to calm down.

"I think the fans here in Mexico are terrific; I think their patriotism and support of their team is terrific," U.S. coach Glenn Myernick said. "But unless I missed something, not one of them came down on the field and kicked the ball. We were beaten by a better football team tonight, not by the fans."

For Mexico, the game partly avenged a 2-0 loss to the United States in the second round of the 2002 World Cup, a far more important tournament involving national teams.

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/news/archive/2004/02/11/sports1336EST0363.DTL

Cueless Joey
02-12-2004, 01:01 AM
Like they have a lot to be proud of.

9 Ball Girl
02-12-2004, 09:19 AM
Sigh. Everybody's got issues.

Wendy<---big fan of Las Chibas of Guadalajara /ccboard/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

t411
02-12-2004, 09:42 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote 9 Ball Girl:</font><hr> Sigh. Everybody's got issues.

Wendy&lt;---big fan of Las Chibas of Guadalajara /ccboard/images/graemlins/crazy.gif <hr /></blockquote>
/ccboard/images/graemlins/shocked.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Harold Acosta
02-14-2004, 05:38 PM
Naz, I just think that it was "payback time", not that the Mexicans have no class. That's a very harsh statement.

Almost anywhere in the world where the US participates, you will find people cheering or jeering against the U.S. It's just competitive nature.

The US players always feels that "everyone" should stand up to the "Star Spangled Banner" and revere the "Anthem." This is a wrong perception since the US players hardly stand up or listen to other countries National Anthems and have shown the same disrespect they are condemning.

This "attitude" by US players have only spark the "sentiment" of other countries, and that is why they sometimes show no respect for the U.S or the US Anthem.

This is from my own perception and from what I've seen on TV; therefore, I do not condem this behaviour from any world country. It is just the "way it is." It doesn't mean that these countries have no class.

Again, it is just "payback."

armandito
02-19-2004, 02:35 PM
Hey nAz, you have to start looking at where the NEWS are coming from. You should probably look at the BBC, Fox LA (Latin America), as well as other INTERNATIONAL news sources.

I just came back from Mexico where the news (not only on the Mexican channels, but on CNN Espaņol, FOXLA and BBC) leading to the USA-Mexico game were that the CONCACAF is going to fine and punish the USA team and players for these two reasons:
-An unnamed USA player taking a dump on the practice field.
-Landon Donovan (one of the US most followed players in the previous days) relieving himself (urinating) in front of the tournament's media group during a warm-up.

If you had seen the game, you'd notice that most of the signs, chants and noise during the Anthem and stadium exit were referring to those two classless actions.

As far as what CLUEless Joey states about Mexicans and pride, ....... forget it.

PS- So Wendy, are you going to follow the MLS new team "Chivas USA"?

9 Ball Girl
02-19-2004, 02:51 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote armandito:</font><hr> PS- So Wendy, are you going to follow the MLS new team "Chivas USA"? <hr /></blockquote>If they look anything like the goal keeper, Ovaldo Sanchez, hell yeah!

You know that Landon Donovan and what he did, there was a picture of him doing just that floating around on the internet under one of those "priceless" punchline gag thingys.

nAz
02-21-2004, 08:23 PM
Guys i understand American resentment or payback for loosing before tohte U.S., what i do not understand is how can someone shout out OSAMA OSAMA over and over again unless they are too stupid to understand how that can hurt someone. if they are not stupid then they have no class for saying it.

Harold Acosta
02-21-2004, 08:46 PM
....maybe the Mexicans were reminding the Americans that the US needs to capture Osama....who knows... /ccboard/images/graemlins/confused.gif

nAz
02-21-2004, 08:54 PM
now then i like that. lol

somebody send over some Mexicans to the whitehouse!