PDA

View Full Version : Are there less professional tournaments this year?

preacherman
04-22-2002, 10:57 PM
It seems that there are not as many tournaments - I look at ESPN's schedule for Pool and it looks like fewer than normal. Also I don't seem to hear as much about the PRO's playing in big tournaments. Since I don't subscribe to any Pool/Billiard Magazines, all I know is what I see on this site (and some others), but not doesn't cover ALL that is going on.

So you who know the scoop please let me in on it.

Jim

cueball1950
04-22-2002, 11:02 PM
as far as i know there are only a handful of top pro events in this country. the state of mens professional pool imo is dead. it needs a major shake up and someone with alot of cash, there are plenty of good regional tours out there where you can watch plenty of quality pool...alan hopkind was handing out flyers on a tournament somewhere in nevada coming up. plus you have the U S OPEN in sept. in virginia..where are you from??????? mike

preacherman
04-22-2002, 11:32 PM
I'm aware of the tournament in Las Vegas in May.
Just love to watch them play, even if mainly on
TV (ESPN). I am going to try to go to some live tournaments.
I live in Georgia.

PoolFan
04-23-2002, 09:43 AM
If you enjoy watching pool on TV. Visit www.accu-stats.com (http://www.accu-stats.com) and order taped matches. Their tapes are uncut and have great commentary - way better than ESPN productions, by far.

Check them out.

Doctor_D
04-23-2002, 05:30 PM
Good evening:

I enjoy the Accu-Stat tapes very much and have ordered several for my own use. Full length matches with all the details. ESPN could learn a thing or two from Accu-Stats.

Dr. D.

Tom_In_Cincy
10-02-2002, 12:12 PM
PreacherMan..

Three suggestions..

1. Suscribe to Billiards Digest.. they list tournaments

2. Suscribe to Inside Pool... they list tournaments by region across the USA

3. bookmark www.azbilliards.com (http://www.azbilliards.com) lots of good tourney data..

10-02-2002, 02:40 PM
Jim,
The men are down to 2 televised events per year. Sudden Death 7 Ball, and Challenge of Champions. I believe both are Allen Hopkins Productions events. The ladies will only stage televised events, and thus their schedule has been whittled from 10 to 6 tourneys per year. Charlie Williams can't even work with Barry Behrman, so I doubt he will be able to successfully negotiate a TV deal with ANY of the sports networks...... What a shame that pool players at the pro level are such a back-stabbing, self-serving group. No one who is having any real success at getting their events on AND on the air is interested in taking the risks for them anymore.