PDA

View Full Version : Power Stroke through connection.

Stretch
02-12-2004, 11:49 AM
Hi all! If anyone here is looking to improve thier breaking power this may help.

It all has to do with understanding that every movement, whether it's hitting a baseball, a tennis ball, a golf ball, or a cue ball has one thing in common. The shot starts from the ground up. Power is generated up from the large muscles of the legs and back, shoulder, and finaly the arm and hand. Largest muscle groups to smallest. Being "connected" means that you've tied in your whole body to produce this action. A good analogy would be that of a whip. I'm sure you all know how a whip works. In this case though your legs are the handle and your hand is the tip.

Briefly, there are three parts to this stroke. (1) Coil behind the cue ball on the drawback (2) hit through it and past it (3) going into a straight balanced finish.

Firstly you need a strong braced stance. How strong?
Well lets say your down in your shooting stance. Do not move your feet, just stand up and pick up something heavy like a packed suitcase (lookout Florida, here I come). Now how far can you accurately toss it without moveing your feet. Try different foot positions untill you can throw the suitcase the farthest. That's your break hand.

Now coil behing the cue ball on the backstroke. When you can achieve a coiled possition at the back of the back swing Then your all set. From here you can simply push ahead with the leg and knees. SO if the cue stick has been coiled properly and with connection, reversal becomes an imediate, natural, and coordinated response to the coiling action. Then the hand and cue will automaticaly release through impact and they will literaly explode through the hitting area in a strong controled, but free-wheeling fashion.

Now i reolize the the "arm only" people will say that thier break is both strong, and controled yielding great results, and that's fine. Soft breaking for sure has it's place in the game. Even more so now with the new equipment, Sardo rack, lightning fast tables and rails etc. But in my oppinion, it's much like the tail waging the dog. For power acuracy and grace you need to aniciate from the large muscle groups to the smallest. Then you'll have your Pool Dog waging it's tail. St

PQQLK9
02-12-2004, 12:40 PM
Sounds good to me and i'm sure the same principle applies to blocking, tackling and throwing hooks and jabs.