PDA

View Full Version : Triscadecaphobia

9 Ball Girl
02-13-2004, 07:38 AM
Sicilian Culture: Triscadecaphobia

Triscadecaphobia is the fear of the number 13. Many believe Friday the 13th is especially a very unlucky day.

In Ancient Rome, the citizens dedicated the 6th day of the week to their beautiful Goddess Venus. Eventually this day evolved into Friday, and was considered to be the luckiest day of the week.

Muslims claim Friday as the day Allah created Adam, legend has it that Adam and Eve ate the forbidden fruit on a Friday, and later died on a Friday.

Christians consider Friday as the day on which Christ was crucified by the Romans. The Last Supper was Jesus said goodbye to his apostles before being crucified. How many were at the table? 14, including Judas.

Next up was Friday, October 13, 1307. The Pope of the church in Rome in Conjunction with the King of France, carried out a secret death warrant Against "the Knights Templar". The Templars were terminated as heretics, never again to hold the power that they had held for so long. There Grand Master, Jacques DeMolay, was arrested and before he was killed, was tortured and crucified.

The Scandinavians believe that the number 13 signified bad luck came from their mythological 12 demigods, who were joined by a 13th demigod, Loki, an evil cruel one, who brought upon humans great misfortune.

So, there are a great number of reasons why many around the globe find Friday the 13th a day, if not unlucky, a day to take notice and caution.

dg-in-centralpa
02-13-2004, 08:14 AM
I never looked at 13 as being unlucky, rather the opposite. It just went with the rest of my life, if it weren't for bad luck, I'd have no luck at all.

DG - used to bew a hardcore pessimist

eg8r
02-13-2004, 08:37 AM
Well, I will add that the hoopla of Friday the 13 used to seem a myth to me until I came into work today. My mentor, tutor, trainer whatever you want to call him, abruptly resigned from the company. He told myself, and those that work with us, many times that he would take me where ever he goes, I guess time will tell. Everyone in our group is completely blindsided by the event, and frankly I have no idea what to do. /ccboard/images/graemlins/frown.gif Seems he was battling for us during reviews and things went down hill from there. His boss will not even tell us why he resigned.

I guess from now on, Friday the 13 is going to be a solemn time.

eg8r <~~~Waiting for a call

UWPoolGod
02-13-2004, 09:41 AM
I don't know...I slept in an extra 1/2 hour before coming into work today....and traffic was unbelieveably open, everyone must be scared to drive on Friday the 13th. So all in all it has been a good day so far...

9 Ball Girl
02-13-2004, 09:48 AM
I think Saturday the 14th will be the wacky day.

Remember that movie? LOL

UWPoolGod
02-13-2004, 10:04 AM
No I missed that movie, but I can imagine...sounds like a movie Mel Brooks would make.. /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Harold Acosta
02-18-2004, 07:40 PM
I like number 13. Lived in apartment 13-C in New York. Was sworn into the Army on Sep 13th, and was activated on June 13th, 197?. I always play number 13 on all Lottery Tickets...

wolfdancer
02-19-2004, 03:59 PM
Ok, who was the 14th?...who crashed the party? Was it a catered affair? I just finished reading "The DaVinci Code", an old Leo never painted in # 14, but there's some speculation about the figure to Christ's right.
anyway.....who's number 14?...and waht's the connection to tris...?

9 Ball Girl
02-20-2004, 10:09 AM
Description for Saturday the 14th The Movie
--A suspense comedy spoof about a family that disregards a warning in a will, and decides to accept their inheritance of a cursed house. See "House on Haunted Hill" (1958), "Friday the 13th," "Halloween" and other slasher-suspense flicks for this film's targets. Starring Richard Benjamin ("LOVE AT FIRST BITE') and Paula Prentiss ("THE STEPFORD WIVES.")

http://media.uln.com/content/dvd/30/171937.jpg