PDA

View Full Version : Who do you like in the Daytona 500 on Sunday?

Paul_Mon
02-13-2004, 12:30 PM
Gotta respect those guys Earnhardt and Waltrip from DEI. But I'm pulling for the rookie in the 77 car. Kodak's newest driver Brendan Gaughn (sounds like gone). He's on a great team and Penske is a proven winner but the Dodges didn't look that fast at the Speedway.

Paul Mon~~~~~~VROOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOMMMM

Singlemalt
02-13-2004, 12:35 PM
Well, it is really hard to bet against Earnhardt, he just seems to have that natural ability on those tracks just like his dad did. If Earnahrdt avoids trouble, I think this will be his year.

From a local perspective, I hope Scott Riggs makes a good showing and has a good run. We attended the same high school and I saw him driving on all the little local tracks in this area as he moved up over the years.

Wally_in_Cincy
02-13-2004, 12:39 PM
The Tauruses are running awful good. Elliot Sadler has a shot. Or could the old man No. 88 show up the young guns?????

I've been to one Cup race. Bristol 2001(?), when Tony Stewart ran Gordon into the pit wall after the race /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif. That is one cool place.

Here's my favorite driver:

http://www.bjwor.com/tonyin96.jpg

Paul_Mon
02-13-2004, 12:45 PM
I agree Bristol makes for some great racing. IIRC, Ernie Irvan won his first WC (NEXTEL) race there. Someone once compared Bristol to racing in a teacup.

Paul Mon

Kato
02-13-2004, 12:50 PM
Jamie McMurray is my driver now. The last 2 years it was Kensetth, now he's won a championship and it's time to move on to another young gun.

Kato

UWPoolGod
02-13-2004, 01:09 PM
Gotta go with local boy on the pole Biffle....just cause he's local.

pooltchr
02-13-2004, 01:27 PM
I'm pulling for DJ, but Little E. might just pull it off.

Voodoo Daddy
02-13-2004, 01:51 PM
Dale Jr. is my second choice, hated his dad but he has me watchin'. Terry Labonte is my choice...he can win anywhere. So the breakdown is this;
Texas Terry, Lil E...then the rest of the field accept Gordon or any Bodine!!!

Voodoo~~~Was a NASCAR fan before it was cool <I think> /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

PQQLK9
02-13-2004, 01:59 PM
I always root for Jeff Gordon.

Wally_in_Cincy
02-13-2004, 02:19 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Voodoo Daddy:</font><hr> Dale Jr. is my second choice, hated his dad...

<font color="blue">Oh my goodness. I thought I was the only one /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif </font color>

..except ....any Bodine!!!

<font color="blue">I don't think you have to worry about any Bodine winning /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif </font color>

Voodoo~~~Was a NASCAR fan before it was cool..

<font color="blue">I got interested in racing cause the fellers at the tavern were always watching it. Besides I needed something to fill the void after I became disgusted with baseball. My favorite is actually open-wheel but NASCAR's a lot of fun too. </font color>

<hr /></blockquote>

Voodoo Daddy
02-13-2004, 03:34 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Wally_in_Cincy:</font><hr> <font color="blue">I got interested in racing cause the fellers at the tavern were always watching it. Besides I needed something to fill the void after I became disgusted with baseball. My favorite is actually open-wheel but NASCAR's a lot of fun too. </font color><hr /></blockquote> <hr /></blockquote>

[b] I started watchin' NASCAR with my dad...he loved Richard Petty and DE #3. We would argue during the commercials who's guy sucked and who's didnt. I followed Allan Kulwicki until his death after he won the Winston Points Championship &lt;he also drove the HOOTERS car /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif&gt; Then I was a any driver for Jack Rousch fan &lt;I followed his SCCA domination for 15 years&gt; and settled in on Terry Labonte and LIL E...

Voodoo~~~loves All Harley Drags the best but NASCAR will do

Kato
02-13-2004, 03:42 PM
My Dad is a Gordon fan and a Celtics fan. When I started watching NBA basketball I immediately rooted for their rivals, the 76'ers. When I started watching NASCAR 6 years ago or so my Dad liked Gordon so immediately I looked for someone else. I rooted for Rusty for a few years but you don't get to watch the guy running in 17th place /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Kato

UWPoolGod
02-13-2004, 04:21 PM
Did you guys see a guy get mowed down during the time trials? Some guys were talking about it at the tourney the other night. I don't watch it so I didn't know, but any of you hear about this?

Wally_in_Cincy
02-13-2004, 04:31 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote UWPoolGod:</font><hr> Did you guys see a guy get mowed down during the time trials? Some guys were talking about it at the tourney the other night. I don't watch it so I didn't know, but any of you hear about this? <hr /></blockquote>

It was during a minor race last week. Compact cars. Driver was trying to catch up to the pack during a yellow flag. Track worker went out to pick up debris in turn 4. Car came around the turn at 100 mph and killed him.

Wally_in_Cincy
02-13-2004, 04:34 PM
http://edition.cnn.com/2004/US/South/02/09/daytona.death.ap/

cueball1950
02-13-2004, 09:27 PM
Let's see. Love Dale Jarret, Ricky Rudd and Awsome Bill from Dawsonville.But since he is not running i just have to go with Sterling Marlin......................mike

stickman
02-13-2004, 10:43 PM
or maybe Waltrip. There are a lot of contenders. I'm afraid the new soft tires may cause a lot of wrecks in a 500 mile race.

The truck race was great! Toyota didn't win, but they made a great showing.

Troy
02-13-2004, 10:46 PM
Since I cut my teeth on Sports Cars and Can-Am racing in the 60's, my personal choice would be the old CART guys on road courses such as Elkhart Lake, Laguna Seca, Mid Ohio, Road Atlanta, etc. However, Tony George has successfully killed CART... /ccboard/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Troy

stickman
02-14-2004, 07:06 AM
Big E was my man until his death. I like most of the drivers. I don't root for the Bodines esp. Brett. One of my grandsons loves Jeff Gordon. I think Jeffy is a sissyboy, but don't I don't tell him. Early in his career, Rusty was a whiner, but not as bad these days. Ricky Craven also is on my list of least likely to root for. Most of the others are okay.

stickman
02-14-2004, 07:11 AM
I'll have a Harley win I win the lottery. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif I worked in a bike shop when I was young, built and raced flat track bikes. This was in the early seventies. The shop I worked in had one of the first dyno tuners in the area.

Voodoo Daddy
02-14-2004, 04:12 PM
I'll post some pics of my latest creation Stick...should make for some great thread-fodder!!

Voodoo~~~will unleash the beast as early as Wednesday

cueball1950
02-14-2004, 10:10 PM
Mr Biffle had to change the motor therefore he goes to the rear of the field and JR gets to move up to the front row. All i can say for Mr Biffle is....Ouch.............mike

TomBrooklyn
02-15-2004, 01:56 AM
I pick Earnhardt Jr.

By the way, what's up with having both a d and a t at the end of a name? Is it supposed to be pronounced Earn-hard-teh or what?

stickman
02-15-2004, 03:58 AM
I believe the "d" is silent. Sounds like Earnheart. /ccboard/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Troy
02-15-2004, 09:14 AM
I think the name is of Germanic origin. Probably none of us pronounce the name as it originally was.

My last name starts with "Sch" but is now pronounced as "Sh".

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote TomBrooklyn:</font><hr>
By the way, what's up with having both a d and a t at the end of a name? Is it supposed to be pronounced Earn-hard-teh or what? <hr /></blockquote>