PDA

View Full Version : Pool table possible under the following conditions

04-23-2002, 03:06 AM
In a few months I will be moving back into my house. It is an old house with an unfinished basement. It is 20' wide and has a wooden beam running down the center. The ceiling is about 6' high or maybe a few inches higher. I am about 5'10" and have to duck a few inches to pass under this center beam.
Would this ceiling be high enough to have a pool table?

This beam is supported by wooden support posts spaced about 9' apart.
Does anyone know if it would be okay to remove one of these support posts to make room for a 9' pool table?
Sometimes it gets damp in the basement.
Would dampness hurt a pool table or affect it's playability?
I'm 50 and this is probably the only place I'll ever have. Should I just forget about ever getting a pool table? Or would it be possible to have a table under the above conditions? Thanks for any opinions or suggestions.

Chris Cass
04-23-2002, 04:44 AM
Hi Eddie,

I wouldn't suggest you remove the beam, before cunsulting a local contractor. I'm thinking it's a support beam. They have ways of deverting the beams with other structural means. I'd look into the cost of it. JMHO

Regards,

C.C.

rackmup
04-23-2002, 05:09 AM
The "Magic Eight Ball" says:

"It is unlikely"

I wouldn't remove the beam unless you want to risk the ceiling becoming even lower.

Dampness will be a negative factor.

When you snap the 9 in, you will risk bumping your head when you jump up in celebration.

Be v-e-r-y c-a-r-e-f-u-l.

Regards,

Ken

jjinfla
04-23-2002, 07:02 AM
Your kidding right Ed? Ever wonder why they call them "support" posts? LOL. But it is possible to remove a couple of the middle support posts and wooden beam and replace the wooden beam with a steel beam that is supported on each end by new posts. My dad did that in the 50's to a Chicago bungalow in Roseland. The house is still standing so I guess he knew what he was doing. Simonis now has an 860 cloth that is humidity resistant. Jake

04-23-2002, 09:14 AM
Thanks everyone. I guess I didn't really think it would be a good idea to even try putting in a pool table.

04-23-2002, 10:05 AM
Eddie,

I recently remodeled my basement to allow for the pool table to fit comfortably (actually, I bought a new house with a basement, but that is another story).

I had an engineer design a steel beam that would span the length of the basement. The steel is rigid enough to support the house and you can lose the support columns. Then, I brought in a carpenter to frame a room inside of the basement, complete with inuslation for a little better control of the temperature. I had the electrician run baseboard heating units in the new room, and I had an AC guy put two ducts from the main branch of ductwork into the new room for air conditioning. While he was there,I had him install a humidity control for the room. The only real problem I have is that on the side of the table where the steel was installed, the ceileing is only 78", everywhere else it is 90". But I am anxiously awaiting my new Diamond Pro set to be delivered this week :-)

If you need more detail, feel free to ask. Sorry for the scrabledness (is that a word?) of the post, but I am at the office so time is short.

Zach <----wants his Diamond to arrive yesterday.

04-23-2002, 11:38 AM
Hi Eddie,2 Years ago when I was 50 I decided to put a table in my dungeon of a basement. If you have the money to spend, you can do anything you want to alter your basement. An engineer charged me $375 for plans to move 2 support columns (and how to anchor them) and the exact demensions of the new steel support beam. Then I got a $2,000 estimate for everything to be done. I did'nt want to spend the dough so I bought an 8' table and placed it with the corner pocket abutting one of the columns. There are a few obstructions but I do not care.I now have a solid wood 8' table w/Simonis 860 and I play a lot. My friends and family do not complain and all have fun. I'm glad I did it.

Nostroke
04-23-2002, 03:46 PM
I dont think anyone mentioned Dehumidifier.Pretty sure u'd want one down there and they are pretty cheap!

Paul_Mon
04-24-2002, 04:40 AM
I was able to remove the pole by adding another support beam. The existing poles in my basement were about 9' apart. The existing beam was a 5" x 8' (18) meaning it weighed 18 lb./foot. The new beam was 5" x 8" (21), it deflected much less than the original. I used a jack to slowly raise the new beam into place. The new beam is about 18' long and was supported at each end with poles that shared the footer with existing poles. I did not break through the slab and set the new poles directly on the existing footer. They are sitting right on the slab. I did drill and pin them in place, but don't believe that this is really necessary. Before starting any work I measured and cut a 2 x 4 to the exact height between the floor and the existing beam, in the spot where the pole was to be removed. My intention was to make sure that the existing beam did not change location (vertically) when the job was completed. With the new beam in place and the new adjustable poles at each end I slowly cut the middle pole and as the old beam started to slowly drop I would raise the new beam to compensate. Obviously I had a couple guys helping me with this part. One thing that I anticipated was that the new beam would bow due to the increased length between supports. I placed wooden shims (pieces of shingle) between the beam and the floor joists, 1/2" shims in the middle and less thick as they got closer to the support poles.
I got the height of the existing beam within 1/8" of its original location. I was very hesitant to try this put refused to put a pool table in a location that had any obstructions. I had seen this modification done one other time with the same result and that helped my confidence. I had recently remodeled the kitchen, which is right above where the pole was removed. There are no cracks in tile or walls. Additionally, I live in upsate NY and we get our fair share of snow in the winter. The pitch on my roof is fairly flat and snow does accumulate up there. After two winters there has been no settling or shifting. IMO, the support is probably stronger now than before. When I was all done I boxed in both of the poles and one of them makes a little wall jutting out into the room. This made a little alcove for a sitting area on one side and a place for the dart board on the other. The hardest part of the entire job was getting the beam through the basement window and into place.
My now finished basement has a dehumidifier to control the humidity. Feel free to e-mail me for photos or more info.

Paul Mon