PDA

View Full Version : Lucky Partner Scene Yesterday

Sid_Vicious
02-14-2004, 01:00 PM
I had just gotten to the PH, unpacked my stuff on my usual table, nobody in line to play with for the day, when I was approached by a supreme local player whom I'd never had the pleasure of playing before, in any form or fashion, to replace his current partner who had to leave. The game was 9-ball, the opponents were road players but one definitely stronger than the other, so it was cheap enough and the player I had on my side could without much doubt cover me in shot making and position(it was scotch doubles.) Well after an hour, maybe more, we were up 12 games, mostly because I was letting him do what he does best and what I do the worst...play the nine from about anywhere on the table, not trying to use excessive roll to gain exact position like I would normally do if I had a lesser partner. To top that off, my partner placed the CB precisely on the nine for me when it was my time to win, gotta love the hell out of that! All in all a great day, got to play with some serious talent and made some cash to boot....well I cashed in, maybe I made it or maybe I was carried, I did play well, mostly smart though.

Have you ever gotten lucky with getting asked to participate in such a scenario, feeling that comfort zone of knowing your partner was nearly infallable? The game is cool when your fears are put to rest, and that's exactly the deal yesterday...sid

Keith Talent
02-14-2004, 03:25 PM
Way to go, Sid. Sounds like you passed your audition for road partner. /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Frank_Glenn
02-14-2004, 03:40 PM
At the APA yearly party that the local LO puts on, a couple of years ago, I showed up late and didn't make the cut for the scotch doulble 9-ball tournament. One guys partner didn't show, so I wound up playing with him. He was an 8-ball 6 from the team that knocked us out of the tri-cup. I was also an 8-ball 6. 9-ball is not my best game, but we came in 2nd. We just jelled. A lot of it was luck, I guess, but it sure felt good, and paid like $150, so all in all, very enjoyable.

SPetty
02-14-2004, 04:00 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Sid_Vicious:</font><hr> Have you ever gotten lucky... <hr /></blockquote>I was exactly that lucky once, having drawn Spiderman as a scotch doubles partner. The experience for me was just as exhilarating as what you described. As long as he could see the ball, he could make the ball, and leave me enough shape to continue. It was awesome! Even when I thought I had left him bad, he pulled something out of somewhere!

cheesemouse
02-14-2004, 08:23 PM
Sid,

An old story but it did a lot for my game.

Around 1979-80 in Portland Ore. Jeff Carter came into a place called The Grand Central, it had an open golf table. Jeff had just won a pretty big 't' in Port Angleles Wash. and was probably just roading it out of the area, anyway, he matched up with this local guy name Kirby, I can't remember his last name. Kirby was unbeatable on this 10' snooker table in heads up golf and he proved it by just smoking Carter for a few hours. Carter pulls up and says he'll only play if Kirby picks anybody he wants as a partner and his road partner would play as his partner.....I had been sweating the match the whole time and I was shocked when Kirby asked me if I wanted to be his partner. I had been playing in the open ring game on that table for months and Kirby knew my game pretty good. The game was on...alternate einnings, $50 per game &amp; $5 hickeys...

Kirby backed the game and ask me to do whatever he said...I agreed too do just that....we started out pretty shakey but after a couple games I settled down and pretty much played a lot of defense while Kirby's crushing offense on that table did the rest....they quit about four hours later...it was a great experience for me as I had only been back playing pool for about a year after a 10 year lay off...it was a great boost to my confidence.

Sid_Vicious
02-15-2004, 11:45 AM
I wouldn't go that far. This boy is definitely staying around the local scene with his game. I was fortunate to have the partner I did, and as somebody tag-lines here "A man's got to know his limitations." sid~~~could of been stuck in that session very easily, and fully understands where he fits on the pool food chain

Wally_in_Cincy
02-18-2004, 11:04 AM
SPetty,

Last summer I participated in a series of 4 weekly scotch-doubles, luck-of-the-draw tourneys. In 2 of those I drew the only APA-7 in the field. We won both. In another I drew a strong female 5 and we came in second. I'll probably not get that lucky again.

BTW.....you a Pooh-bah now /ccboard/images/graemlins/cool.gif

SpiderMan
02-19-2004, 12:21 PM
I remember that night, it was quite a coincidence that you
showed up for the very first time and we drew one another's
cards as partners. You shot well yourself, there was some
talk of me bringing in a ringer, and of bumping you into
the "early draw" pool.

Sadly, that joint closed a few months ago and was torn
down. I wonder what they did with all the fish on the
wall?

SpiderMan