PDA

View Full Version : Pearl?

Cueboy
02-15-2004, 08:17 AM
I watched most of the Mosconi Cup live on Sky sports last December, and was interested to read about some of the comments made by Mr Strickland in the recent issue of Snooker scene. " In match three, Earl returns to form, edging Nick Van Den Berg and performing a cockney knees-up and a Maori Haka to celebrate. Then, in his post-match chat with Dave Clark, he pans Steve Davis as a "guy who doesn't know Steve how to play or break properly" before walking off mid-interview. Wether he means to or not , this guy plays the perfect pantomime villian to perfection.
Barry Hearn relays the Pearl's comments to Steve Davis later. Steve admits to " breaking like a girl" and shrugs: " I think he's confusing me with someone who gives a damn!".

I must say I can't believe any one would take him seriously but he is good entertainment and will be a prerequisite for future Mosconi cups with matchroom sports, even after insulting the promoters favourite "son"!

P.s. I have been a fan of S.Davis for 22 years.

tateuts
02-15-2004, 02:14 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Cueboy:</font><hr> Then, in his post-match chat with Dave Clark, he pans Steve Davis as a "guy who doesn't know Steve how to play or break properly" before walking off mid-interview. <hr /></blockquote>

We're pretty sure he was referring to Van Den Berg - it can be interpreted either way, now that you mention it. Heres' the thread:

http://www.billiardsdigest.com/ccboard/showflat.php?Cat=&amp;Board=ccb&amp;Number=123018&amp;page=0&amp;v iew=collapsed&amp;sb=5&amp;o=&amp;fpart=1

Chris

Cueboy
02-15-2004, 04:16 PM
Thks Chris I did read the thread, so was confused by the comments made. The Snooker scene magazine reporter was there covering the event and wrote a seven page spread covering the event. Earl has "got it in" for Steve so his comments, even if it appeared out of context is no surprise. I think he was still smarting after being beaten 5-0 by Davis. The fact that the remarks were also relayed to Steve would make me believe Van de berg was not the object of his rant!