PDA

View Full Version : This is how MSN looks at pool.

Tommy_Davidson
02-15-2004, 06:41 PM
> I opened up my home page today,and saw a link to an MSN poll of the 10 greatest sports films of all time. The Hustler was ranked #3,but just look at this write up.
Is this how they really look at this great sport,or is this just the writers opinion? Tommy D.

http://entertainment.msn.com/movies/article.aspx?news=149138

JPB
02-15-2004, 06:53 PM
Well, the writer missed a lot of points in the reviews. At least he correctly saw how great Scott and Gleason were in the film. He missed some of the points of Slapshot, he missed the point of the Hustler. No surprise really. Then again, it was a series of short reviews.

Also quit being so sensitive about pool's image. Pool's problems are reality, not image. Writers write bad things out of ignorance, but there are real problmes in pool. Problems much deeper than what some critic writes in a one paragraph review of a 40 year old movie.

I think 4 of the 5 films were very good. I would rank The Hustler as the best. Raging Bull was excellent. Slapshot was great and often overlooked. Longest Yard was entertaining, but by far the worst of the 5.

Popcorn
02-15-2004, 08:49 PM
A writer weaving words filtered through his own ego talking about things he knows nothing about. Nothing new about that. You notice he did not even get the Scott Quote correct. I am not sure I would even put Slap Shot in the top ten much less no. 1.