PDA

View Full Version : 9 foot table for under $3000?

swhang
02-15-2004, 10:51 PM
I am looking to buy a 9 footer for my house. I have plenty of room in the basement. I definitely want to keep it under $3000, but would prefer it to stay below $2500, unless I am convinced that paying a few hundred more is worth it.

I did some shopping and I came back overwhelmed and confused as to what table to get. All the pool places I have been to all told me different things, many times conflicting. These are all specs for 9 nine foot tables... all brand new. Please let me know if these are decent prices or not.

So here are the ones that I took a look at...
Craftmaster Scottsdale ($2280)
- center slate beam
- real mother of pearl
- 6 inch rail
- lifetime warranty (except pockets and felt)
- lifetime warranty on leveling
- includes delivery, setup, and a deluxe accessories package
- solid maple

Legacy Sparta ($2280)
- similiar to the table above, except without the lifetime leveling guarantee

Schmidt Cardinal ($2699)
- does not include the premium players package, but a standard generic one. salesman said that was the only way to get down the price.

Olhausan Reno ($2600)

There was a ton of conflict about the cushions. Olhausan said their cushions were the quietest. But the Schmidt rep told me that thier accuracy rating was horrible b/c their cushions were inaccurate, although quiet. The Schmidt rep said the Olhausan tables don't even meet BCE standards. However, with the Schmidt, they said the accuracy rating is 100% and said Olhausan was below 70%.

The two other models, Craftmaster and Legacy, both were similar. The difference being the Legacy not offering lifetime leveling guarantee. These tables are not as prestigious. But what makes me feel okay, especially about the Craftmaster Scottsdale is of the lifetime and leveling guarantee.

So I am confused. One group says that the cushion material was extremely important. Another says the accuracy rating is huge. Another says that their warranty is the best in the business.

Should I go with these new tables? Or try to find a used one? If I do go for a used one, I am concerned b/c of the warranty. Suggestions for other pool tables would help as well, as those are the only tables that I was exposed to. I live in Atlanta.

Please, please advise.

boalt06
02-16-2004, 12:10 AM
Where are you located? I might know of a good place in California NOrthern.

EG

swhang
02-16-2004, 09:02 AM
I am in Atlanta, GA.

cueball1950
02-16-2004, 10:26 PM
does it have to be new. i may know of some decent gold crown 2 for sale in eal decent shape. pm me if you are interested for more info........................mike

shoop1969
02-17-2004, 03:12 PM
Go used - definitely.

Don't worry about the warranty. Warrantys on pool tables are a joke. They are rubber, wood and rock. There are no moving parts. They are never in motion. If you end up using a warranty for a pool table, you got crap to begin with.

Look for an older Brunswick or AE Schmidt. You may be able to find a decent Gold Crown for 2k. If you are the least bit mechanically inclined, and have lots of strong friends, then dismantle and transport the table yourself. Then get a reputable company to come out and assemble/cover the table.

If you go with a Schmidt table, you may be able to find a 30-40 year old table with T-rails (the rails bolt directly into the oversized slate). T-railed tables play great. Either will play much quieter than the newer furniture style tables you mentioned.

Also, don't skimp when it comes to cloth and rubber. If it needs it, spend the money. Same with balls - get a good set of belgium balls.

moblsv
02-17-2004, 07:30 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote shoop1969:</font><hr> Then get a reputable company to come out and assemble/cover the table.

Also, don't skimp when it comes to cloth and rubber. If it needs it, spend the money. Same with balls - get a good set of belgium balls. <hr /></blockquote>

I recently bought a table and the install was horrible. After complaining and having the table fixed twice they finally got somebody who new what they were doing and it made an incredible difference. ( kudos to Vina distributing for following through and making it right )

In my opinion, the installer is at least as important as the table

good belgium balls and simonis cloth are also well worth the money.

My table is a new 8' connelly prescott, ~$2400 with simonis cloth and I'm happy with it.