PDA

View Full Version : Is Master Chalk softer than Triangle?

Paul_Mon
02-17-2004, 09:41 AM
I usually keep Triangle blue chalk on my table and this is what is also used at the local pool hall. This past Sunday I put out two pieces of Masters blue prior to a 5-hour session. I noticed a couple of things about the Masters blue. One is that my left hand was extremely dirty after playing. I mostly chalk up by wiping the chalk across the face of the tip using my right hand, Im right handed. Occasionally I chalk with one hand and will rotate/swipe the cube across the face using my left hand.
My Masters chalk cubes do not have a deep or pronounced hole in the middle, more like a gentle crater. My Triangle chalks have more of a hole. Im thinking that the Masters is much softer and therefore deposits more chalk from the top of the cube. Lastly, my break cue has an extremely hard Talisman X tip on it. This tip rejects the Triangle chalk but will hold the Masters. So whats the point of all this?? IMO, the Masters is better if not messier.

Paul Mon

TommyT
02-17-2004, 12:35 PM
I think the delineating factor was my chalking od. I'm a swiper and never rotate the shaft but tend to swipe out towards the edge of the cube. I also am a chalk freak among other things and chalk before each shot. My hands were dirty too and thought maybe you could use a can of quick-clean. I'm still tossing and turning over the missed 9 ball that let you back into the match. I'll get you Sunday. Be prepared.
TommyT /ccboard/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Paul_Mon
02-17-2004, 12:49 PM
Tommy,
I was filthy after Sundays session and I'd vacuumed the table that morning. Now I'm not the neatest chalker and I get dirty with Triangle also, but this was ridiculous. Even yesterday when I only practiced for 20 minutes I was filthy. I'll switch back to the Triangle and see what difference it makes. But, I may still need to use the Quick Clean. IMO, my cloth is at the end of it's life. I just keep putting off recovering because of the cost.

As far as Sunday goes. We'll see. Wish I could get you to play a little more 1 pocket.

Paul Mon~~~not gonna woof

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote TommyT:</font><hr> I think the delineating factor was my chalking od. I'm a swiper and never rotate the shaft but tend to swipe out towards the edge of the cube. I also am a chalk freak among other things and chalk before each shot. My hands were dirty too and thought maybe you could use a can of quick-clean. I'm still tossing and turning over the missed 9 ball that let you back into the match. I'll get you Sunday. Be prepared.
TommyT /ccboard/images/graemlins/cool.gif <hr /></blockquote>

CaptMorgan
02-17-2004, 02:35 PM
I don't know about which is softer but I've used lots of different chalk and have always and now totally stick to Masters chalk in whatever color the felt is I happen to playing on (usually green) I'm not too sure I believe the color matters but I've never had a problem with the chalk being messy. I get a little on my hands and I have the occassional dirt slash across my index finger from my open bridge shots but I've never been one to really find chalk all over the place or the table. Maybe this is a condition of over chalking your cue. It's only going to hold so much, the rest will fall off at the slightest vibration or touch.

sandgnat
02-17-2004, 04:10 PM
I had used Master chalk exclusively for years, finding that it was easier to apply and adhered to the tip much better than Triangle and others I had tried. I recently tried Silver Cup and have found that it is even easier to apply (even softer than Master). It is actually too soft, I believe. A cube lasts only about half as long as a cube of Master, and it makes the table filthy. My hands get dirty in a hurry, even shortly after brushing. I think I am going back to the Master when this box runs out (which won't be long at the rate I am using it).

Paul_Mon
02-17-2004, 04:10 PM
Well I switched back to the Triangle and my hand is filthy. So either the table (cloth) is loaded up with chalk or I'm a slob when chalking up. In either case I don't think that chalk (Masters or Triangle) makes a big difference when shooting, I played well today. My practice session was 10 games of 9 ball. I made a ball on 9 of the ten and ran out 3 racks. To me thats good.

Paul Mon~~~sucks at pool

YourHero
02-17-2004, 04:48 PM
just out of curiousity, different colored chalk doesn't make any difference right? cause i just bought a box of chalk, but it was black chalk, i only bought it cause the other colors were individuals, and this came in a box set, but different colors don't make any difference right?

Frank_Glenn
02-17-2004, 05:53 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote YourHero:</font><hr> just out of curiousity, different colored chalk doesn't make any difference right? cause i just bought a box of chalk, but it was black chalk, i only bought it cause the other colors were individuals, and this came in a box set, but different colors don't make any difference right? <hr /></blockquote>

The dye will make some appear to be softer than others within a given brand, for instance the green masters is softer than the blue. The only difference is the dye, but it evidently does make a difference.

tgscordv6
02-17-2004, 06:09 PM
The new Master chalk has a dime shaped crater. /ccboard/images/graemlins/frown.gif

dmgwalsh
02-17-2004, 06:20 PM
This weekend I noticed a lot of chalk on the table at home and vacuumed when my friend went to the can. After one rack it was loaded again. At league last night, one of the main guys was looking at the chalk marks I was leaving on the table. He thought I was using cheap chalk. When I told him it was masters, he checked my tip and noticed it needed to be picked. It was very smooth and the chalk dust had been falling right off it, every time I shot. I hadn't noticed this chalk problem recently so hopefully this will solve the problem. Dennis

Wally_in_Cincy
02-18-2004, 07:27 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote YourHero:</font><hr>...i just bought a box of chalk, but it was black chalk....<hr /></blockquote>

Black? That stuff will make your shaft dirty really quick.

Chris Cass
02-18-2004, 09:24 AM
Hi tgscordv6,

Man, your parents picked out a tough name. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif Just to cheer you up a little. I just grab a nickel and twist it into the new chalk and your good to go. /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Regards,

C.C.

tgscordv6
02-18-2004, 04:44 PM
Why didn't i ever thought of that! Thanks. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif