PDA

View Full Version : Favorite Break position?

bluey2king
02-17-2004, 01:02 PM
I ask this question from the referance of my leauge play (APA) on barbox tables I am a S/L 4. I am intersisted in three sizes the 7 1/2, 8, and the 9 foot tables. I like the far right side just behind the second diamond on an 8 foot table pretty good action on the 8. Not so with the Barbox table (71/2) I hardly ever even make a ball from there. I would like tro hear what others with more experience have to say.

dooziexx
02-17-2004, 09:29 PM
Heres what I do. I look at where theres most wear on the cloth. That tells me its a good breaking position where other players have been successful hence the wear. I use that as a starting point. If that doesnt work, then I tend to work my way towards the side rail.

Rod
02-17-2004, 09:30 PM
Although I'm not really an 8 ball player, I've played a few games. What I see that is more common to those trying to make the 8 is a second ball hit with low inside, come back two rails and make the 8 in the side, sometimes in the corner. Copy the code, START(
%AN7O5%BL7P8%CJ5O4%DL7N1%EM7P1%FK6P1%GK6N8%HL7O3%I M8N8%JK6M5
%KJ5P7%LJ5N2%MK6Q4%NJ5R0%OJ5M0%Pg9E2%UO4N1%Vg1E8%W F6D5%XN5N0
%YH5K4%ZC6E6%eA6b1%_Z3Z4%`Q8S5%aM7P3%br4[1%cZ9T4%dM2O5
)END and paste it to the Wei Table (http://endeavor.med.nyu.edu/%7Ewei/pool/pooltable2.html)

When I do play 8 ball, I go for a good head on break to run the balls. Also it's not APA, so the 8 doesn't count on the break. In the long run I think a solid hit on the head ball will win you more games.

Rod

stickman
02-18-2004, 01:24 AM
I agree with you Rod. The second ball break is very effective for moving the 8, but the 8 doesn't go that often for me anyway. I seem to do better using a head ball break and trying to control the cueball. /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

bluey2king
02-18-2004, 08:00 AM
Thanks Rod! Hey that is really cool deal with the pool table!! I want to play with that a bit. It sure will come in handy with other questions. Also seems like a good web site.
Now how about 9 ball Breaks? I see Karen Coor use a mediem speed or power break. I see Alison consistantly pocket the one in the side. Which I have tried on a 8 foot table and I can't do. My best luck is with a head on Break with a little bottom to bring the cue ball back.
Thanks for your input! /ccboard/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Wally_in_Cincy
02-18-2004, 08:15 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote bluey2king:</font><hr> ...I see Karen Coor use a mediem speed or power break. I see Alison consistantly pocket the one in the side....<hr /></blockquote>

They used the Sardo rack from 2000 to 2002. With that gizmo Karen Corr (and Allison, to a lesser degree)had perfected making the 1-ball in the side fairly consistently. Last year they went back to a wood triangle so now you don't see it quite as often.

rocky
02-18-2004, 08:23 AM
With a eight ball break ( and rack )to make the head ball in the side, I use a one inch off of the rail at the line. with a half tip below center strike and try to hit the head ball slightly out side but just barely. If you go to far outside you will scratch in the opposite side. It works for me more than 60%.

Rod
02-18-2004, 11:49 AM
when you watched the ladies play most likely they used the Sardo. When they used that rack the 9 ball was on the foot spot so the one ball was almost two ball widths above the foot spot. From there with a little practice it is almost automatic.

You can still play to make the one but it isn't near as easy. Buddy Hall comes to mind, making the one ball from the standard foot spot position. Just hit the head ball as solid as possible no matter where you break from. You'll find in time that a good solid controlled hit produces the best results. If your not hitting them solid with the c/b near center table area, slow down your speed. You don't need any low, a center ball hit works fine. Too far either way from c/b centerline and you'll end up with either uncontrolled draw or follow. Consistency produces results.

Rod

Wally_in_Cincy
02-18-2004, 12:11 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Rod:</font><hr> when you watched the ladies play most likely they used the Sardo. When they used that rack the 9 ball was on the foot spot so the one ball was almost two ball widths above the foot spot. From there with a little practice it is almost automatic....<hr /></blockquote>

...and when they racked the 1-ball on the spot in VF 2000 ( the first WPBA tourney using the Sardo ) Karen Corr made the wing ball about 5 times out of 7 breaks.....

Rod
02-18-2004, 12:16 PM
[ QUOTE ]
...and when they racked the 1-ball on the spot in VF 2000 ( the first WPBA tourney using the Sardo ) Karen Corr made the wing ball about 5 times out of 7 breaks.....
<hr /></blockquote>

Yes it sure is an advantage knowing you can count on a particular ball to go in. I remember the wing balls too.

Rod

woody_968
02-18-2004, 12:26 PM
I agree with Rod on not needing low on the cueball. A center ball hit will have the cueball sliding into the rack for a perfect stop.

Perk
02-18-2004, 01:09 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Rod:</font><hr> When I do play 8 ball, I go for a good head on break to run the balls. Also it's not APA, so the 8 doesn't count on the break. In the long run I think a solid hit on the head ball will win you more games.

Rod <hr /></blockquote>

As another thought on the 8ball break, I like to remember that 8ball is a strategy game. With that the case, the break depends on the type of player you are playing. If your opponent will runout the door on you, I find it better to play the second ball break for two reasons. Reason one, you might pocket the 8ball. Reason two, with this break, it is common to get a cluster of balls near the same side pocket. Having clusters might help your chances of getting to the table. If you bust them wide open on the break, and the spread is good, you better be able to runout consistently, or people that you would drill normally may get out on you. Just some other things to consider.

&lt;--I like to have both types of breaks down depending on the opponent.

Iowashark
02-18-2004, 01:31 PM
My break positions depend on the table. If I'm playing on a bar box, be it 8ball or 9ball, I break from center, hit center ball on the cueball.

If I'm on a 9 footer playing 9 ball I will break from the left rail hitting the 1 dead on with center ball on cue ball.

If I'm on a 9 footer playing 8 ball (which is very seldom) I break from the right rail on the head string, hit the second ball, and use outside to bring the cue ball back to center. (I rarely make the 8 with this break which is fine because it is not my intention).

bluey2king
02-18-2004, 07:58 PM
Ahhh I like that! I need to learn and USE defense better. Being kinda new to leauge play I forget and I have never done a full out yet! I have seen the beauty of a good defense and I have used it some, but that is a part of my game that need improvement. I am too offensive, I need to get myself set for the run.
Thanks! /ccboard/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

bluey2king
02-18-2004, 08:00 PM
Thats a cool program! but I havent figured out how to draw the lines?

Wally_in_Cincy
02-19-2004, 07:54 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote bluey2king:</font><hr> Thats a cool program! but I havent figured out how to draw the lines? <hr /></blockquote>

You see the arrows below the table? Pick one end of an arrow with your left mouse button and drag it to where you want it. Then the other end and if necessary the midpoint. Some of the arrows are defined by 2 points, some by 3.

bluewolf
02-19-2004, 08:23 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote stickman:</font><hr> I agree with you Rod. The second ball break is very effective for moving the 8, but the 8 doesn't go that often for me anyway. I seem to do better using a head ball break and trying to control the cueball. /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif <hr /></blockquote>

When I was first working on my break, I was scratching the cue ball. I went to a dead on center break, center hit, the balls spread, the cue ball is in the middle of the table and a scratch is rare. The problem in my 8 ball break is that it is seldom that a ball will drop, which gives a worthy opponent an advantage.

I have thought too about using a slight safety break against those folks who can run a lot of balls or out, but for me, that kind of takes the fun and the challenge out of it.

I am better now than I was when first learning to break and understand better about english, top and bottom and what will happen when it is used, so have been thinking about trying out the side break, aiming at that second ball, because I see so many fine players having success with that method.

With the center hit, I can drop balls in 9-ball more often, but often the one ball does not end up where I want it to start a decent run. And sometimes the two and the three end up in the wrong place too, so have not gotten the hang of that yet.

So, I wonder if others too changed their break as they got better at pool.

Laura

bluey2king
02-19-2004, 10:47 AM
Thank You!! I got it!!