PDA

View Full Version : Any Cornbread stories?

shoop1969
02-17-2004, 03:42 PM
Would love to hear some good Cornbread Red stories from those of you fortunate enough to know him.

NH_Steve
02-17-2004, 08:17 PM
I did not know him -- only met him once. But there is a book about him. It is good quick read and certainly has many stories in it:

http://www.billiards.com/mall/bebob%20images/red_big.gif

Rod
02-17-2004, 09:05 PM
I've never seen the man play but a friend of mine use to tell me a lot of stories about Red. From what he tells Red was quite a charachter and played a great good game of pool. To bad I didn't live back in the midwest or east, those people are fortunate to have so many good players.

Rod

Predator314
02-17-2004, 10:51 PM
That's a really good book. I almost read through it in one sitting.

Ralph S.
02-18-2004, 12:28 AM
Unfortunately, I never realized until now, I probably could have seen him play or atleast met him. I never knew that where he lived was only 20 miles from where all my family is at in southeastern Kentucky. Surely he had to frequent the rooms in that area. I will just have to start getting out more when I travel.

Vagabond
02-18-2004, 05:29 AM
Howdy folks,
One day he walked into this pool room.I was sitting at the counter.The counter is more a square type.I was not on the side where upon entering the room people can see u.As soon as I saw him I wanted to leave the room without him seeing me.I got out of my seat and bent down and was walking away in stooped posture( If I stand he will notice me).By the time I left the counter area and came to the open area near the door I saw Cornbread was also walking towards me in a stooped posture.Then he Quickly approached me and grabbed my wrist and said ``let us play 50 a game``.I did not take the offer and I quickly left the room.To this day I wonder how he saw me and how he suspected that I am running away from that place.He was also walking in a stooped posture like I was.I do not know the answer.
cheers
Vagabond

Mike T.
02-18-2004, 07:47 AM
The best story I heard is where Red was in a rough neck joint in the 70's that was frequented by the meanest and toughest people in town. Not to be deterred of trying to turn a dollar, Red went in and was told of a fellow on one of the tables that would gamble, but was the meanest of the bunch. Red walked straight over to the guy and asked, "Hey big man. What's your best game?" The guy immediately socked Red between the eyes knocking him to the floor. Red got up, brushed himself off, smiled, and asked, "OK.... What's your second best game?"

Red ended up beating the guy out of $ 400.00.

Mike T.

SpiderMan
02-18-2004, 10:20 AM
Vagabond,

Why were you wanting to sneak out without him seeing you?

SpiderMan

Vagabond
02-18-2004, 07:53 PM
Howdy Spiderman,
Prior to that incident I ran into him in a different state(OHIO).During that time he perceived me as a thief.He told me that I should be ashamed of myself for trying to rob a guy( one of the steak horses of Bustamonte when Buste first came to this country).He had misperception/misconception of me.I did not want him to tell the guys in this place(Livonia,MI) that I am a thief.That is the reason I tried to run away from that place.People who know me personally know that I am not a thief.Cheers
Vagabond /ccboard/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Barbara
02-18-2004, 08:51 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Vagabond:</font><hr> People who know me personally know that I am not a thief.Cheers
Vagabond /ccboard/images/graemlins/cool.gif <hr /></blockquote>

A "Thief Of Hearts" perhaps??! /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Barbara

Vagabond
02-19-2004, 04:34 AM
Howdy Barbara,
I was accused of that too.Cheers
vagabond

Detroitgirl
02-19-2004, 12:08 PM
When I was first starting to play pool seriously, I went into the poolroom and Red walked up to me. We had seen each other around but had never met at that point. He knew I liked to gamble a little, and came up to me and said in his gruff, southern drawl, "What do you want to do, little girl?" I knew about him and that I had no chance, but I was willing to donate for the experience of playing a legend.

He gave me the last four and the breaks, races to seven for $50. He kept bad-racking me, and tried to three-foul me every game (the rack was way too clustered to run out). Luckily for me, I was kicking unbelievably well and we broke even.

From that point on, he used to come up to me and say "I need the last two." My reply was always, "When my picture is on the walls of all these poolrooms like yours, you can have it."

We sure had a lot of laughs together.