PDA

View Full Version : Let's talk about Atlanta...

Jay M
02-17-2004, 03:57 PM
Hi everyone,

Long time no see. So I moved to Atlanta and find myself wondering where all the other pool halls are. I've played the Pool Room in Marietta (a very nice room by the way), but I'm looking for a few other places too. Anyone have any suggestions? I'm looking for something along the lines of CM's place in Seminole. A quiet room with good equipment and a homey atmosphere. Any thoughts?

What about local tournaments and such, I'm sure there are some around, but I don't seem to be seeing them...lol

Thanks /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Jay M

sandgnat
02-17-2004, 04:17 PM
Try Barley's Billiards.

Frank_Glenn
02-17-2004, 04:26 PM
When ever I'm in Atlanta, I go to Mr. Cues II.
3541 Chamblee Tucker Rd
Atlanta, GA
770-454-7665

rocky
02-17-2004, 04:28 PM
pool room is nice , I played the Atlanta Lucasi open there a couple of years ago.

JayCee
02-17-2004, 10:38 PM
Yeah, Mr. Cues is nice. I play there whenever I play. Starzone, located at Jimmy Carter Blvd and I-85 is also nice. Mr. Cues has Kim Steel tables and Starzone has Diamond Pro's. Mr. Cues has a weekly Mon night 9-ball tournament, Wed night 1-pocket tournament, and APA league Sun-Thurs. Friday and Sat nights are when you'll catch a few money games. Check it out, you may like it.

Dagwood
02-18-2004, 12:05 AM
I just got back from Marietta, where I played at The Side Pocket Club and Grill. Not too bad, but if you're in that area, the better place to go is The Pool Room. As mentioned, Barley's, Mr. Cues II, and Starzone are all good rooms. Starzone lost alot of its poolplaying clientelle when some of the rougher elements started coming in as regulars, which is a shame. They have about 15 Diamond Pro tables and just as many Diamond Smart tables. If you just moved to Atl. as well, you are only about an hour - hour and a half away from Athens. Take a trip one weekend and go to Murphy's Brass Rail. That's one of the best rooms that I've seen...deffinitely the best IMHO in GA.

Dags

Rich R.
02-18-2004, 05:17 AM
Sorry I can't help Jay, but it is nice to see your name on the CCB again. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif
I hope you continue to stop by.

Mike T.
02-18-2004, 07:54 AM
I gotta agree with Dags. Mr. Cues is nice, but to me it is worth the drive to Papa Murphy's. If you go, tell Papa I said hello.

Mike T.

Dagwood
02-18-2004, 08:04 AM
Just FYI Jay...I just found out this past weekend that Pops sold the Rail to a new set of owners. But from everyone says, they are really, really good people. Same ol' Brass Rail...just different owners. I guess Pops is opening up a little 6 table room downtown, but everyone is going to be playing at the Rail still.

Dags

pooltchr
02-18-2004, 08:30 AM
We are bringing the Fury KBP amateur tour to Georgia later this year with stops at the Rail, Mr Cue's, Twains, and The Pool Room. I'm looking forward to seeing a bunch of you guys down that way starting next month.
Steve

Deeman
02-18-2004, 02:35 PM
Steve,

When everythings set, give us a schedule.

pooltchr
02-18-2004, 03:08 PM
You can find the entire schedule on my web site below...go to the tour page and check the Georgia schedule.
Steve

CarolNYC
02-19-2004, 04:51 AM
Hey Jay,
Nice to hear from you-glad your doing well-as for Atlanta,
I just received an email that "The Atlanta Womens Open" will be held at "Mr. Cues Billiards" on March 12th-14th-many top women players will be there-just a suggestion if you wanted to go and watch=25,000 added, setup by Helena and Monica-should be a good tournament! /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif
Take care!
Carol /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Deeman
02-20-2004, 12:19 AM
Steve,

Thanks,

We wiil see you in The Pool Room and maybe at Murphie's. I will bring three players. Do these fill up or can I just show up a little before the deadline?

Deeman

pooltchr
02-20-2004, 07:21 AM
Dee,
Registration is between 11:30 and 12:30. Shouldn't have any problem getting in.
See ya there.
sj

heater451
02-20-2004, 05:30 PM
pooltchr,

Just thought that I'd mention that the Pool Room is changing ownership, so you might want to double-check that everything regarding your tourney is honored.

BTW, I would have PM'd you, but I figured that I would mention the change-over, in case the place goes to crap, after everyone has endorsed it.

Oh, and in case anyone is considering trying the room out in the very near future, the liquor license is on hiatus for the ownership change. I believe that they should be legal in a week or two.

======================

kbp
02-21-2004, 12:44 PM
Hey Jay,
This is Kay. I own the KBP Amateur 9-Ball tour coming to your area. Thought I'd drop you a line and give you the address to the site that has all the schedules posted. pool teacher is one of my tournament directors. If you have any questions feel free to contact me.
my web site is:
http://home.gate.net/~higgins3/
Good luck.
Kay web page Kings Bay Promotions (http://home.gate.net/~higgins3/)

pooltchr
02-23-2004, 06:35 AM
Jay,
Thanks for the heads-up. I will confirm everything this week. Do you know if Kevin is still working there?
Steve

KevinS
02-23-2004, 10:05 AM
I play out of the Pool Room and from what I have been told, Jon brought in a partner but did not sell it outright. I think they were supposed to be getting the liquor license thing cleared up last week. As far as the room it's great. They have 8ball tourneys on saturday and 9ball on sundays. Last couple of weeks they have had around 40 players in the 9ball. They also have some really competitive leagues if that's more what you like. BCA, APA, and TAP.

Jay M
02-23-2004, 11:04 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I play out of the Pool Room <hr /></blockquote>

We've probably brushed in there then. keep your eyes open next time you're in there, I'll have a black predator case and a McDermott that doesn't look like a McDermott (it's an RS-12). I've been grabbing the Diamond whenever noone is playing on it or the Brunswicks in the back near the Diamond.

I need to find Mr Cues II and see what it's like, but I still haven't quite figured out how to get around here. They don't exactly have the easiest street layout...

They had liquor on Friday night when I was in there.

Jay M

Wally_in_Cincy
02-23-2004, 11:23 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Jay M:</font><hr> ...I still haven't quite figured out how to get around here. <hr /></blockquote>

Atlanta's easy to get around. Just take Peachtree Parkway to Peachtree Blvd., take a left on Peachtree Ave., a right on Peachtree St. and the place you're looking for will be at the corner of Peachtree Ct. and Peachtree Hwy.

Hope this helps /ccboard/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Frank_Glenn
02-23-2004, 11:57 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I need to find Mr Cues II and see what it's like, but I still haven't quite figured out how to get around here. They don't exactly have the easiest street layout...<hr /></blockquote>

Get off I85/I285 onto Chamblee Tucker Rd. going East. Mr. Cues II is in the strip mall with the Winn Dixe, behind the Wachovia Bank. I think you can see it from the off ramp if you know where to look.

Jay M
02-23-2004, 12:26 PM
ok, that tells me the end part.....now I need the middle...

I'm coming down 400 to I 85/285 which way do I go when I get on the interstate? I guess I'll try to find it this evening.

[ QUOTE ]
Atlanta's easy to get around. Just take Peachtree Parkway to Peachtree Blvd., take a left on Peachtree Ave., a right on Peachtree St. and the place you're looking for will be at the corner of Peachtree Ct. and Peachtree Hwy.<hr /></blockquote>

Can't you take the shortcut through Peachtree lane? /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

lol

pooltchr
02-23-2004, 12:52 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Jay M:</font><hr> ok, that tells me the end part.....now I need the middle...

I'm coming down 400 to I 85/285 which way do I go when I get on the interstate? I guess I'll try to find it this evening.

&lt;/font&gt;&lt;blockquote&gt;&lt;font class="small"&gt;Quote:&lt;/font&gt;&lt;hr /&gt;
Atlanta's easy to get around. Just take Peachtree Parkway to Peachtree Blvd., take a left on Peachtree Ave., a right on Peachtree St. and the place you're looking for will be at the corner of Peachtree Ct. and Peachtree Hwy.<hr /></blockquote>

Can't you take the shortcut through Peachtree lane? /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

lol <hr /></blockquote>
Just don't get on to Peachtree Place! /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Ralph S.
02-23-2004, 12:58 PM
I thought it was on Peachtree Dr. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif With all these peaches, finding that place is gonna be the pitts. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif Pun intended.

Frank_Glenn
02-23-2004, 01:55 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Jay M:</font><hr> ok, that tells me the end part.....now I need the middle...

<hr /></blockquote>

Rt 19 turns into 400 at I85 and 400 runs to I285. On I285 go East, or on I85 go North. Where I85 &amp; I285 cross is what you are looking for. Chamblee Tucker can be accesed twice, once from I85 and once from I285. The I285 exit is the one near Mr. Cues II. It's the first exit after the two interstes connect, and it is a big cloverleaf on the map. Hope this helps. (I'm from out of town and han no problem finding it).

SPetty
02-23-2004, 02:05 PM
I always hate to be totally obvious, but can't you try Mapquest (http://www.mapquest.com/maps/map.adp?country=US&amp;countryid=250&amp;addtohistory=&amp;add ress=3541+Chamblee+Tucker+Road&amp;city=atlanta&amp;state= GA&amp;zipcode=&amp;submit=Get+Map)?

Barbara
02-23-2004, 02:12 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Wally_in_Cincy:</font><hr>
Atlanta's easy to get around. Just take Peachtree Parkway to Peachtree Blvd., take a left on Peachtree Ave., a right on Peachtree St. and the place you're looking for will be at the corner of Peachtree Ct. and Peachtree Hwy.

Hope this helps /ccboard/images/graemlins/confused.gif <hr /></blockquote>

Sounds peachy-woo-woo to me! /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Barbara

Jay M
02-23-2004, 02:39 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I always hate to be totally obvious, but can't you try Mapquest?<hr /></blockquote>

I had both mapquest directions AND MS MapPoint directions the night I went looking. They aren't that great a help in the area of Atlanta that this place is sitting in.

Jay M

heater451
02-23-2004, 04:57 PM
Sorry, to take so long to get back to this thread. . . .

I've seen Kevin in a few times, but not as often as I used to--funny thing is, I started thinking that the "KevinS" in this thread was/is him. I can't recall his last name though. . . .

Well, I assume that you've already confirmed everything, so this post is probably unnecessary.

That said, "Cheers".

=============================

KevinS
02-24-2004, 04:28 AM
One of the managers is also Kevin. Kevin L. To get to cues take 400 south to I285 east, get aff at Chamblee Tucker exit. Make sure you stay in the middle lane when you get on the ramp(it splits in several directions /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif)At the top of the ramp take a left go across the bridge and it's in the shopping center on the right about 200 yards from bridge.
Heater451 do you play league or tournaments there? I play in the wed. BCA league. I used to play in the 9ball every week. Hopefully I will be starting back since it has slowed back to normal at work.
Jay that triple shim in the back is hell isn't it. I mostly play on the olhausen's. Maybe I'll run into some time. I play with a predator 2k3. Most of the regulars will know me.

KevinS

Rich R.
02-24-2004, 04:45 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Jay M:</font><hr> I had both mapquest directions AND MS MapPoint directions the night I went looking. They aren't that great a help in the area of Atlanta that this place is sitting in. <hr /></blockquote>
Sometimes mapquest is very good. Other times, I've had it direct me to a dead end road, in the middle of nowhere, not even close to my final destination. /ccboard/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Jay M
02-24-2004, 07:32 AM
well, I found Mr Cues and played their tournament last night. Have I ever mentioned how much I hate coming in and playing cold? lol. I had two warm up games, both of which I got out from my first shot...good enough that I was automatically rated an A+. Then I got in the tournament against an A and went down fast (5-3, I needed 6 to win). Single elimination so that was it. The travel there sucked, it was at 7 PM and it still took 40 minutes to go the 7 miles. I think I'll be sticking with The Pool Room as it takes less time to get to, even though it is farther. The two rooms seem pretty much equal in terms of equipment and atmosphere, although the Pool Room has MUCH better food.

I'd still rather play a small room. One that is more about the game and less about drawing in the kids.

Thank you everyone for the directions. I found it without a problem.

Jay M

SPetty
02-24-2004, 01:05 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Rich R.:</font><hr>Other times, I've had it direct me to a dead end road, in the middle of nowhere, not even close to my final destination. <hr /></blockquote>Oh, so you were looking up where I live /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

pooltchr
02-24-2004, 01:20 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote SPetty:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote Rich R.:</font><hr>Other times, I've had it direct me to a dead end road, in the middle of nowhere, not even close to my final destination. <hr /></blockquote>Oh, so you were looking up where I live /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif <hr /></blockquote>

As Jeff Foxworthy says...If the directions to your house include "Turn off the paved road.." you might be a redneck! /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Eric.
02-24-2004, 02:48 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Jay M:</font><hr> I had two warm up games, both of which I got out from my first shot...good enough that I was automatically rated an A+. Then I got in the tournament against an A and went down fast (5-3, I needed 6 to win). Single elimination so that was it. The travel there sucked, it was at 7 PM and it still took 40 minutes to go the 7 miles. I think I'll be sticking with The Pool Room as it takes less time to get to, even though it is farther. The two rooms seem pretty much equal in terms of equipment and atmosphere, although the Pool Room has MUCH better food.

I'd still rather play a small room. One that is more about the game and less about drawing in the kids.

Thank you everyone for the directions. I found it without a problem.

Jay M <hr /></blockquote>

Jay,

Sounds like you were the victim of "unknown player rating". I'm guessing they didn't rate you based on ability, more like you're a new guy and you get rated at the top. Oh well, maybe theyll give you a lower rate next time...

FWIW, I know that you're a techy guy, have you downloaded Microsoft Mappoint to your PDA? That is a great program you can carry around. It can show where you want to be by writing in an address. Good stuff. You'll need it to get around Atlanta(at least til you settle in). I remember 50,000 streets named Peachtree. The confusing part is that there is a Peachtree Blvd, a Peachtree Industrial Blvd, Peachtree Rd., Peachtree St.,Ave,Way... I guess it's not good enough to know that some place is on "Peachtree".

Eric &gt;ain't that a peach

Jay M
02-24-2004, 02:56 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Sounds like you were the victim of "unknown player rating". <hr /></blockquote>

Nah, I should have won the match, I gave at least 4 of those games away on just plain misses. The last of the games was on a blown safety. I just take a LONG time to warm up and two or three racks isn't enough to get me in full stroke. I can't tell you how many times I've gone down by a bunch before I found my stroke and came roaring back. One in particular was an early morning match in the predator open in 2002 where I went down 8-0 in a race to 9 and ended up winning it 9-8.

On the plus side, if I ever go back and play it again, I'll probably be rated a D (ok, not really... maybe a B).

Jay M

heater451
02-24-2004, 04:36 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote KevinS:</font><hr>. . .Heater451 do you play league or tournaments there? I play in the wed. BCA league. I used to play in the 9ball every week. Hopefully I will be starting back since it has slowed back to normal at work.
Jay that triple shim in the back is hell isn't it. I mostly play on the olhausen's. Maybe I'll run into some time. I play with a predator 2k3. Most of the regulars will know me.

KevinS <hr /></blockquote>Kevin, I play Tues-night TAP league, and added Thurs-night this session. Both are 8-ball leagues. I used to occasionally join the Monday night 8-ball tourney, but I hear that it's 7-ball nowadays.

BTW, are you referring to the triple-shimmed table at Mr. Cues, number 9 I think, or the triple-shimmed Diamond (IIRC) at the Pool Room?&lt;---the table that got swapped with the snooker table.

=========================