PDA

View Full Version : Super NEWBIE 9-ball question

YourHero
02-17-2004, 05:31 PM
I haven't played in any tournaments or contests or anything like that, but I play 9-ball with my buddies all the time, and sometimes with guys at the local poolhall.
Now I have the rule book, Billiards Congress etc. etc., and it says how you don't have to call shots in 9-ball. So the question is, if someone caroms or combos the 9-ball into a pocket using whichever object ball, but he didn't intend it, it was total luck, a slop, does it still count? Let's say he put's in the 5-ball as hard as he could, the cue ball bounces off a few rails and randomly puts the 9 into the pocket, does the guy win, or is the ball spotted? This never happens when playing with guys at the Poolhall, only with my friends, and they have mixed opinions about it. can anyone clear this up for me?

UTAddb
02-17-2004, 05:37 PM
no calls necessary, however you make the ball it's in. the 9 goes in, it's game.

tgscordv6
02-17-2004, 05:39 PM
9 ball flukes count.

Doesn't that piss you off. /ccboard/images/graemlins/mad.gif

woody_968
02-17-2004, 05:40 PM
By the rules of nine ball as long as it was a legal shot (hit the lowest number ball on the table first) then any ball that goes in counts. So yes, ya slop the nine ya win the game. I have seen some players whos total game plan was to move the nine ball any chance they had just trying to slop it anywhere. You might be surprised how many times it finds a pocket on a bar table LOL.

CaptMorgan
02-17-2004, 07:16 PM
Yeah, it counts in both rule books (BCA and APA) it's a love hate relationship with 9 ball. When playing with more experienced players however this happens less often as most shots are intentional and the level of control is higher.

dooziexx
02-17-2004, 09:18 PM
As long as you hit the lowest numbered ball first, any other ball that falls in after that, including the 9, counts. Maybe 9ball should be a call pocket game (except on the breaks) and hence eliminate some of the luck factor.