PDA

View Full Version : Olhausen 8ft Americana - Question & good deal?

outcast
02-17-2004, 09:34 PM
First off I know, I know, you guys keep helping newbies like me pick out tables (I used the search feature).. But I needed a little more help. (Thanks in advice!)

I have narrowed down my choice to a 8ft table. I was looking into a Olhausen table. I went to the only dealer around here (Miami, FL), The Billiard Connection. The table they pointed me to was the Olhausen Americana, its a solid wood table. Like all Olhausen tables, its features 1 inch slate, and all their basic features. They quoted me $2295 for it, including installation and a basic setup of playing equipment, and accessories. They offered an upgrade for an additional $200 to upgrade the rails with diamond sights, color matched pockets, and instead of a MDF slate liner, solid wood liner (I thought all Olhausen used the Uniliner, is it upgradable to solid wood?). So is this a good table, and a good deal for it? and is the upgrade worth it? BTW the table will be going outside in a enclosed and screened patio, so thats why I getting a solid wood table instead of an MDF type table (Humidity down here in Miami, FL).

Thanks again!

logixrat
02-17-2004, 10:53 PM
Never heard of an Olhausen Americana table, and it IS NOT listed on Olhausen's website either. Take a peek at the official Olhausen site, and see if you can identify the table that most closely resembles the table you are talking about.

http://www.olhausenbilliards.com

Dealers are known to sometimes have Olhausen or another manufacturer do a table to "dealer specs" and then label it something different. Anyhow, once we know the exact table, it will be a little easier to tell if it is a good deal or not.

In regards to the upgrade of the MDF to solid wood liner, both are still part of the Uni-Liner system that Olhausen has developed. It's just a matter of the quality of materials used in it. Most prefer real wood simply for the fact that as you cloth and re-cloth your table over the years, the staples will take a detrimental effect on the MDF crap. I would get the solid wood if it were me. Also, the diamond sights would be nice, but I could careless about the colored pockets...but that is just my personal preference.

outcast
02-18-2004, 07:42 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Never heard of an Olhausen Americana table, and it IS NOT listed on Olhausen's website either. Take a peek at the official Olhausen site, and see if you can identify the table that most closely resembles the table you are talking about. <hr /></blockquote>

Its listed Olhausen Website. When you click on there solid wood tables, you have to click next on the bottom for the next page of tables (believe me it took me a while to find that out). Here is the link Olhausen Americana Table (http://www.olhausenbilliards.com/pooltables_detail.php?id=39&amp;cat=SOLID%20WOOD)

[ QUOTE ]
In regards to the upgrade of the MDF to solid wood liner, both are still part of the Uni-Liner system that Olhausen has developed. It's just a matter of the quality of materials used in it. Most prefer real wood simply for the fact that as you cloth and re-cloth your table over the years, the staples will take a detrimental effect on the MDF crap. I would get the solid wood if it were me. Also, the diamond sights would be nice, but I could careless about the colored pockets...but that is just my personal preference. <hr /></blockquote>

So do you think the extra 200 is worth it? Also I forgot to note that I also would get a choice on what legs for the table, either the standard leg in the link or a Stratford leg.

Thanks!

outcast
02-18-2004, 09:17 PM
Anyone with comments or suggestions? Thanks!

CaptMorgan
02-18-2004, 10:21 PM
I like the additions they are offering, see if you can get them to throw in some simonis. I know I preach it but it's the best felt in the world hands down. They shouldn't raise the price more than $150-$200 for laying that on a new table. But I've heard of ppl gettin it thrown in in place of a lot of the add in items they may be offering. I like the 760. Simonis Homepage (http://www.simoniscloth.com/)

logixrat
02-18-2004, 11:03 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote outcast:</font><hr>
So do you think the extra 200 is worth it? Also I forgot to note that I also would get a choice on what legs for the table, either the standard leg in the link or a Stratford leg.<hr /></blockquote>

If I were the one doing the deal, I would tell them to keep their fancy pockets, and give me the real wood liner, diamond sights and Simonis cloth! I'd think that would be worth $200, but with the pockets no I don't...but keep in mind I'm not a fan of fancy pockets either. Use the pockets and legs as bartering chips to get the Simonis. I'm not sure what the Stratford legs look like though...but the leg on the web page isn't to my preference. But I like basic and bulky.

Just remember, the best investments in a pool table are always regarding the playability. The Simonis cloth will enhance your experience 10x over. Fancy legs or pockets won't. But if you have a wife to please lookswise, then I understand that too.

Good luck!

PS - I just saw the Stratford leg on another table. I do like them much better than the standard leg (the Eclipse?), but that is just my personal opinion. Still, if it were me, I'd do the $200 with the legs, diamond sights, real wood liner and Simonis cloth. I might even pay an extra $50 if the dealer plays hard ball.

outcast
02-19-2004, 01:06 PM
Thanks for the replies. So about the table price $2295 (installation and basic starter equipment) without the upgrades sounds good for an Olhausen, solid wood table (8ft?).. Thanks!