PDA

View Full Version : Playing Bowling on a pool table

Bob
02-18-2004, 04:46 AM
Has anyone played "Bowling" on a pool table. It seems to be a new game that a lot of the local halls and bars have picked up. One local pool hall has even started a league.

The game is played as follows; using a 10 ball rack, after the break you try and run all 10 balls in any order (you don't have to make a ball on the break it's not considered a shot). If you succeed then it's a strike. If you don't finish the rack, you get a total of two innings to finish them off to get a spare. If you don't finish them off, you get the total points you made. You keep score exactly as you do in bowling. You can have high scratch and handicapped pots in addition to numerous pots like bowling leagues. After everyone has finished playing you draw a number between 25 and 300 and if you score that number, then you get that pot. This pot usually rolls over quite a few times and can be a large amount.

TommyT
02-18-2004, 08:31 AM
I've been playing what I call bowliards for years. I use it as a practice game and keep track of my averages,strikes,open frames etc. It's a great practice game because it introduces pressure into the practice routine.Each shot means something. Get a bowling scoresheet and run off a bunch of copies. Have fun!!

A bowliard fan~~~~~~~~~~TommyT

woody_968
02-18-2004, 08:40 AM
I think this game has been around for a long time. If I remember right there are a set of rules for it in the BCA rule book. As mentioned earlier this is a good game for practice as its easy to track your progress.

sandgnat
02-18-2004, 04:41 PM
I "bowl" once or twice a night (almost every night" to end a practice and track my (INCREDIBLY slow) progress. /ccboard/images/graemlins/frown.gif I don't give myself two more innings for the spare, though. One is plenty. It does a little bit to mimic the pressure of competitive play, but still not quite the same.

woody_968
02-18-2004, 04:59 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote sandgnat:</font><hr> I don't give myself two more innings for the spare, though. One is plenty. <hr /></blockquote>

Im not sure I understand what you are saying. There should be two innings per frame, when you break that starts the first inning. If you miss then the second inning starts and then if you miss that frame is over. Just like getting two balls in bowling. Am I missing something?

sandgnat
02-18-2004, 05:15 PM
I guess I read it wrong. Two "total" innings. Anyway:

Runout after break: X
Runout after a single miss: /

Perk
02-19-2004, 10:31 AM
I am going to try this game tonight, seems like a version of straight pool I practice, but not counting the breaks, it seems the averages would be high. Anyone here play this game or have an "average"? I am gonna guess that a "B" player could carry a 240 average pretty easy? And maybe an "A" player could run 270's? What are your thoughts on this?

sandgnat
02-19-2004, 12:39 PM
If a 240 average makes one a "B" player, then I'm and "E" or an "F" /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

... or maybe a "G"... or a "g"... can you be a lower case player? /ccboard/images/graemlins/confused.gif