PDA

View Full Version : Reality TV and... Pool?

DoomCue
02-18-2004, 07:24 AM
I heard this morning that NASCAR is going to be doing a reality TV show with 9 drivers. A crew will have unlimited access to each of the 9 drivers' lives for a few months. I was wondering how that would fly with pool players as subjects. For instance, would you like to see a reality show with a crew following Allison around from tournament to tournament? Or would you rather see a show featuring the other side of pool (gambling), a la Tony Watson? I'd like to see a show representing both tournament and money players, with a good mix of age and gender. I know, though, that sensationalism would strike and the gamblers would get most of the air time, which wouldn't do much to change perspectives of our sport.

What do you think? I think a reality show for pool would be a great idea. Anybody know somebody who knows somebody who might be willing to make this happen? BTW, you can send royalties and residuals to my home address.... /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

-djb

woody_968
02-18-2004, 08:58 AM
I love the idea and think it would make a great show. I really dont think it would matter if it was a tournament player or money player because you would probably see gamling out of both of them anyway.

Rich R.
02-18-2004, 10:43 AM
If you want the show to be a success, they better follow Keith McCready around. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Now that's entertainment! /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Sidepocket
02-18-2004, 11:07 AM
I do think something along the lines of the Golf Channel's "Big Break" would work really well for pool. Could test various billiard disciplines (14.1, 3C, 1P, etc).

Dagwood
02-18-2004, 12:53 PM
I think what they need to do is to find one road player, one hustler (there is a difference), one tournament player, put them on a bus and drive them around seeing who can outperform the other in these rediculous stunts...oh, wait, that's another show...well, in that case they should follow each of them around separately, with hidden camera's, not a camera crew following them around, to find out what the scene is all about. That way, there is a better likelyhood that whatever happens on the table will be authentic. Later after the matches are over, and they feel that they would like to use the footage, they can go back and find whomever they played, and ask that they be able to use the footage. I think that would be the biggest hurdle. Even with the pixeled in faces, not many people would go for it.

Dags

Ralph S.
02-18-2004, 03:31 PM
Ditto that Rich.... Has to be Keith.

dg-in-centralpa
02-18-2004, 04:16 PM
What about FL? He would be good to throw in the mix.

DG

Harold Acosta
02-18-2004, 05:50 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote dg-in-centralpa:</font><hr> What about FL? He would be good to throw in the mix.

DG <hr /></blockquote>

Sure would be nice to see FL get his butt kicked on TV for running his mouth....

....but then I guess the producers wouldn't show that part of the action on TV....

Perk
02-19-2004, 10:27 AM
With the right characters, it could be interesting. I just finished reading "Playing off the rail", and could see where a camera crew following these people would be interesting. Heck, in Survivor you can almost see the camera crews a few hundred yards away with a camp with fire/food/water/alcohol. In this reality, the camera crews would be in cramped hotels, disgusting cabs, filthy pool rooms, and the occasional rowdy bar. Probably an easy sell! /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Dagwood
02-19-2004, 05:21 PM
I think it would take the right set of characters, but it would have to be covert. You probably won't get big money matches together with people who are trying to stay below the radar on camera. Besides, if people want to see the hustler in action, him having a camera crew tagging along behind him is a good indication that he's not as low a speed as he claims to be. Same with the road player. Either way...it would be very interesting if they could pull it off. Why doesn't anyone send in a synapsis to ESPN or someone to do a show like this? I'm sure that if it was presented in a format that would appeal to them, that they would jump on it.

Dags