PDA

View Full Version : Losing weight

UWPoolGod
02-18-2004, 10:26 AM
What have you guys done to lose weight? I am back to working out after two years of not (30 lbs heavier I guess). After looking at some before and after pictures I am pretty pissed off. My apartment complex has a decent guy with a treadmill, stairclimber and weight machine. I have the dumbells in my apt. I do all of the usual arm/back chest stuff, situps and dumbell squats. What do you guys do? What do you eat to minimize the amount of calorie intake during the day? What time of the day is best to work out? Right now I work out at midnight after I get home from leagues/toureys and have to get up at 6:30 for work. Doubt it can be good to stretch your muscles and then shorten em back up during sleep. I'll find out today if I can change keys to be able to get in there early in the morning before work. Thanks in advance

Kato
02-18-2004, 11:00 AM
I just started working out again after a 3 year lay off. I've got to dump 25 pounds. /ccboard/images/graemlins/frown.gif

My prayer is that my body remembers the 14 years of 6 day a week lifting I did to it and bounces right back. /ccboard/images/graemlins/cool.gif The reality is that isn't going to happen. /ccboard/images/graemlins/crazy.gif The first part of my plan is to quit drinking beer for 1 month. This is probably worth 20 pounds by itself. The second part of my plan is to eat dinner before 6 and not to excess. The third part of the plan is to excercise between 15 to 30 minutes per day, 5 days per week.

So far I haven't stopped with the beer (the reality is that I drink about 12 beers per week) and I haven't gotten away from the junk food and the late dinners. I am working out about 4 days a week for about 20 minutes a pop.

I've been at this for 2 weeks and I've lost 5 pounds. This has at least kept my second chin from popping completely out of my neck. Now comes the hard part.

Kato

Rod
02-18-2004, 12:02 PM
I'm now 10 lbs overweight, I was 15. My doc told me there is one simple way to lose weight, don't eat as much. LOL He also told me when I excersize to keep my heart rate high for at least 20 minutes. That burns off excess fat, terrible word.

I'm paying more attention to the Atkins diet and keeping my carbs lower. I'm not going up anymore, it's slowly going away. Well those few beers over the weekend didn't help. /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Rod

Iowashark
02-18-2004, 12:49 PM
I did the Atkins diet for almost 2 months and lost 20 pounds. Unfortunately the Atkins diet completely drained me. I was always tired and never had any energy. I had to quit 10 pounds before I reached my goal. So I've quit drinking beer and I've been running my dog almost every morning and doing the weights at night about 3-4 nights a week. That seems to be working well right now.

After I quit the Atkins I put 8 pounds back on and have lost 5 of those with exercise and a well-balanced diet. One thing everybody tells me is to take the stairs instead of the elevator, but I work on the 30th floor and would probably go into cardiac arrest before I got to work each morning.

Wally_in_Cincy
02-18-2004, 12:57 PM
If you've gained 30 lbs. at your young age it sounds like you may be predisposed to weight gain. I can tell you a couple of things:

It's a lot easier to not gain it than it is to lose it.

It gets harder as you get older (for most people)

Beer and junk food and greasy fast food and donuts are killers. Read the label. I was going to eat a Hostess frosted honey bun the other day until I saw it had 24 grams of fat and 460 calories /ccboard/images/graemlins/blush.gif

You need to do both aerobic exercise and weight-lifting for optimum results.

If there's a day you just can't bear the thought of a workout just get out and walk 2 or 3 miles. It's easy and somewhat effective.

From the age of 40 until now (46) I've gained 30 lbs. and it really sucks. I just haven't been working out as much as I should but I've been doing better for the last 2 weeks.

I can hear TomCincy laughing as he sees me giving weight-loss advice /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Wally~~thinks cutting back on carbs is effective but thinks the full-fledged Atkins is dangerous

moblsv
02-18-2004, 01:42 PM
good timing on this thread. I bought a video camera recently with one of the objective being to video tape my pool stroke to see what I can improve. Instead I saw how fat I look so I then ended up spending a bunch more money on a indoor trainer to put my bicycle on and a new pro-spot home gym that arrives today.

I know what caused the weight gain was getting out of the habit of bicycling everywhere. My intention is to reverse the problem by returning to a lifestyle where I ride my bike and add a regular workout.

Ask again next month and I'll let you know how its working out /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

9 Ball Girl
02-18-2004, 03:03 PM
I actually stopped playing for a while and go to the gym everyday after work instead of going to the poolhall. That plus watching what I eat. I lose weight by doing a lot of cardio classes and add weight classes for muscle work since that helps in burning calories too. It's what works for me.

Keith Talent
02-18-2004, 04:06 PM
Looks like everybody's fighting it. I was doing fine at about this time last year -- was in the best shape I'd been in in the past 7 or 8 years. Then I put away my tennis racquets and took up pool again. That was about 10 pounds ago.

But hey, didn't you all hear? Doc Fatkins had a series of heart attacks and high blood pressure, not to mention that he died clinically obese. /ccboard/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

UWPoolGod
02-18-2004, 04:13 PM
LOL stop playing pool to work out.LMFAO..that's a good one. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Barbara
02-18-2004, 05:19 PM
Quitting smoking did it to me. I could feel my metabolism come to a screeching halt. But I don't care, I'm not smoking and I won't pick up that habit again.

It's a shame there isn't a "Curves" for men. It's a newer workout concept that works you out for 30 minutes. You alternate between workout machines and mats. You're supposed to really work on the machines, then just keep your heartbeat going on the mats in between. I thought the hydraulic machines would be easy, but I can feel the burn and I used to be a pretty serious weightlifter when I was a rower. They alternate the pace - some days you go around the 12 machines twice, sometimes once. Today we did twice. I went around three times. /ccboard/images/graemlins/blush.gif And the beauty of it is that you keep moving and you're never waiting for some machine.

Just take it one day at a time and realize it took some time to pack on those pounds - it's gonna take some time to take them off. And keep moving. /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Barbara~~~feeling the burn... /ccboard/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

dg-in-centralpa
02-18-2004, 07:09 PM
Part of my problem is my job. I have a cushy job(real estate broker.) Right now, I'm 60 pounds over my graduation weight. That was 25+ years ago. If I was working back in the steel plant, I would lose 30 - 40 real quickly. Now I'm running on a treadmill at least 2 miles a day. Working out in the morning is much better for you thanlate at night. I also try to watch what I eat.

DG - waiting to see FL in Valley Forge

Barbara
02-18-2004, 08:31 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote dg-in-centralpa:</font><hr>
DG - waiting to see FL in Valley Forge <hr /></blockquote>

Hey! I'll see U in VF!!

Barbara

=k=
02-19-2004, 07:31 AM
stand up stand up i testify..okay here goes.. i lost 18 lbs in ten days.. simple plan.. my dau. told me about this and it worked for me.. two tablespoons of fresh lime juice, two table spoons of grade b maple syurp, 1/8 tsp. of cayenne pepper.. mixed in 8 oz of water. you can have this every two hours or so. for ten days.. you start with a salt water flush... two teaspoons of sea salt in a quart of water.... after the ten days you have to come off the diet with orange juice then veg. broth then the vegs.. day 14 you can resume normal eating..
the funny thing is you never get hungry.. i didn't say you don't think about food.. LOL
it really does work.. i did this about four months ago and have only gained back three pounds..
also if you want to loose more you can stay on this fast for up to thiry days safely.. you can find out more about it by google search lemon maple syurp cayanne it will bring up all the info..

Wally_in_Cincy
02-19-2004, 07:33 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote dg-in-centralpa:</font><hr>
DG - waiting to see FL in Valley Forge <hr /></blockquote>

/ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

I can't wait to read a full report. I think there are a few people who will seek out the Fast One in VF /ccboard/images/graemlins/smirk.gif.

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Fast Larry:</font><hr>...so I dropped into a karate stance...<hr /></blockquote>

LMAO............. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Chris Cass
02-19-2004, 09:40 AM
Hi ya UWPoolGod,

Don't have a way to lose weight. I weighed 197 and now, I've gotten down to 124 lbs. I'm trying to gain weight myself and it's hard. After Cancer hit it was the surgery that took it's toll. The surgery intailed taking out 6" of my esophagus and after finding the unknown Cancer in my stomach they took half of that puppy too. The surgery is really simular to Bariactrix (sp?) surgery. It's a hard type surgery and wouldn't recommend it to anyone for the purpose of losing weight. The dr. challenged me to gain 3 lbs in one month. I have my esophagus stretched about once a mth now but was going twice a week for awhile. I gained 2 lbs and believe me, it was hard. I ate everything I could get down. They had to place my stomach over my lung during surgery so it's hard to breath along with lung damage from the radiation.

Enough about me. What I do have that's important to people wanting to lose weight is to, have a big breakfast. Eat a big lunch and have a modest dinner. For the individual, find out what your normal eating pattern is. Find out what you eat most of. Cut down on the bread, icecream and try to cut out any fat if possible.

Exercise is great but if you don't do it then, start out with a stretching program. Join a gym and make it a habit to go at a certain time and day each week. Unless, your devote enough to do it on your own. It's like pool. You have to have desire to overcome your weaknesses. IMHO

Pete and Barbara, Fran, Carol and Jimmy, and a few others are in pretty good shape. JimS is the one who lost a good deal of weight and he'll share his secret if you ask him. Myself, I don't think it's a bad thing to be a little overweight, say 20lbs. I think everyones problem is fast food and mostly stress related. This fast pace world where time is so important is the main cause IMO. I recommend a small vacation in a laid back environment like corn country or MN. It'll do wonders for your mental state of well being. The day is long and timeless. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Regards,

C.C.~~feeling better slow but sure. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

9 Ball Girl
02-19-2004, 11:45 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Barbara:</font><hr> Just take it one day at a time and realize it took some time to pack on those pounds - it's gonna take some time to take them off.<hr /></blockquote>
And just to add on to that, remember that the slower you lose the pounds, the longer they stay off. I lose 2lbs a week and cannot believe it when I hear that you can lose something like 20lbs in 1 week with those quick scheme things. Good luck!

Wendy&lt;---I keep trying to lose weight but it keeps finding me! /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Candyman
02-19-2004, 12:30 PM
I just lost 10 lbs in 8 hours. Take 2 4oz bottles of Fleets phospho soda and 2 Dulcolax tablets. Avoid bars, jogging, carnival rides, Victoria's Secret, populated areas, etc. Come to think of it, breathing becomes sort of hazardous. /ccboard/images/graemlins/blush.gif

Dagwood
02-19-2004, 01:46 PM
Ok...being in the military, I have to maintain a certain weight and body fat standard. Well, when I first joined I was WAY over it...(by about 40 lbs and 3%). After about a year of being on the overweight program and dropping from about 230 to 220, I went on christmas break (1999-2000). While out on break I lost 25 lbs...in two weeks. This is what I did:

I started with a reasonable breakfast. A bowl of cereal, peice of fruit or two and orange juice, maybe some coffee. Didnt' matter what type of cereal it was, though I was eating the granola.

From that point, just about every day, I would go to the pool hall to shoot pool. I would bring 1 protein bar...each one has about 32g of protien per bar and about 275 calories. I was eating one of those over a two hour period. Shoot pool, take a bite, drink some water or diet coke...shoot for a while...ect.

For dinner, I was eating sensibly. Half portions from what I was eating before. I never ate myself to the point I was stuffed. The meals were cooked by my health concious mother too, so that helped. If you can keep the caloric intake on you dinner down, the more the better.

The other big change that I made was that I switched from regular Coke to Diet Coke. It was gross at first, but now I can't drink anything but Diet. Regular is just too sweet for me.

I did this for 6 days out of the week. I gave myself one reward day a week, where I could go out and splurge a little. MacD's, BK, Baskin Robbins...ect...or on xmas I was able to have the typical huge meal and all the pie I wanted. I didn't work out but twice, (ran about 4-5 miles both times), but was in the pool hall for about 8-12 hours a day shooting pool. I guess the amount that you walk over that period of time in a pool hall is quite significant.

I had kept that weight off for 2 1/2 years, until this past July, where I went back up to 220. I guess it's time to go back home. LOL. But really, if you just cut your portions down, take out alot of the extra calories, and stay moving throughout the day, so you are burning more calories, the pounds will come off.

(personally, I think the switch from reg. to diet did alot for me. I was drinking alot of soda, maybe 4-6 cans a day. That's 600-800 calories that I cut out of my diet right there! So if you drink soda, there's a little shortcut right there.)

UWPoolGod
02-19-2004, 02:44 PM
two tablespoons of fresh lime juice, two table spoons of grade b maple syurp, 1/8 tsp. of cayenne pepper.. mixed in 8 oz of water. &lt;--=k=

Isn't that what Robin did on the Howard Stern show? Sounds like it.

SPetty
02-19-2004, 02:53 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote =k=:</font><hr> two tablespoons of fresh lime juice, two table spoons of grade b maple syurp, 1/8 tsp. of cayenne pepper.. mixed in 8 oz of water. you can have this every two hours <hr /></blockquote>Ah... I see my mistake now. I've been mixing it with 8 oz of tequila! /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Barbara
02-19-2004, 04:21 PM
You're not serious about this, are you?

I'd be a little worried about your daughter, too.

Barbara

Dagwood
02-19-2004, 04:30 PM
I dont' know Barbra...but if her daughter starts asking for the worm the next time she's drinking this concoction, it should be a dead givaway....

Dags

bigshooter
02-19-2004, 05:57 PM
I lost over 70 pounds doing Atkins then like an idiot I went off the diet for about six months and ate anything I wanted and gained it all back.
Atkins does work but it has to be more of lifestyle change than just a diet because if you go off for awhile the weight comes back rapidly.

Popcorn
02-20-2004, 12:50 AM
It is very simple, eat less. I am not being a wise ass, just when ever you prepare food cut the portion you would normally have in half. Eat slower, take smaller bites and chew your food longer and enjoy your food. I hate that full feeling. Put a portion on your plate and is it just like in a restaurant, all you get is what is on your plate. In fact, I have a small bowl of steamed vegetables next to me now and I have been picking at it for a half an hour and there are only about 4 ounces. I even eat popcorn one piece at a time, not as much as you can shove in your mouth. You can really enjoy delicious food if you eat properly. I don't think most people even taste what they eat as they rush toward that stuffed feeling they seem to crave, who says you have to be full. I did gain about 25 pounds of so one time and I just had to curb my amounts and it came right off, no dieting at all, just eating normal.

Dagwood
02-20-2004, 12:56 AM
Right on...I think that more than anything else is what got the pounds off for me over that chistmas break. Good sound advice too...it's all that seems to come out of your mouth popcorn.... /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

c.holtz009
02-20-2004, 07:28 AM
A long time ago, when I was 15, I was 5'6" tall, and 256 pounds.
I got so sick of the comments and teasing that I decided to do something about it. I started working out, and REALLY watching what I ate.
That was about mid way through April that year.
By the time I returned to school in the fall, I was about 5'11" tall, and 175 pounds.
Nobody knew who I was. It was great.
All I can say if I can do it, I think anyone can.
Right now, I an 6'2" 200 lbs and hope to stay in good shape the rest of my life.

cheesemouse
02-20-2004, 08:04 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote c.holtz009:</font><hr> A long time ago, when I was 15, I was 5'6" tall, and 256 pounds.
I got so sick of the comments and teasing that I decided to do something about it. I started working out, and REALLY watching what I ate.
That was about mid way through April that year.
By the time I returned to school in the fall, I was about 5'11" tall, and 175 pounds.
Nobody knew who I was. It was great.
All I can say if I can do it, I think anyone can.
Right now, I an 6'2" 200 lbs and hope to stay in good shape the rest of my life. <hr /></blockquote>

Congradulations for taking control and responsiblity for yourself...no matter what the fade diet the truly sucessful storys are just like yours...it's a personal choice and the formula is always the same....move your body and eat reasonalbily...the great thing about this simple fact is it's cheap...

=k=
02-20-2004, 08:13 AM
you had to be fun to be around! and did you dance on all the tables?

=k=
02-20-2004, 08:21 AM
barbra totaly serious.. the maple syrup gives you all the nutrients you need.. i weighed 185 and went down to 165 i am 6 foot so i look better and feel better now.. also i am now going to health club just to keep fit..
check this out http://www.falconblanco.com/health/cleansing/lemoncleanse.htm

Kato
02-20-2004, 09:34 AM
Hey, how did you manage to get taller? That's what I need to be...........taller. /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Kato