PDA

View Full Version : My lesson with Scott lee..

RUNaRAK
02-19-2004, 12:44 PM
Lets repost this. Hope someone else will get as much from Scott as I did..

Although I had my reservations going into the lesson, I am already a very satisfied customer.
Here is where I stood before my lesson, I played as an APA 7 for a year or so but gave up that league system because I was not really happy with the way it was run. I play in a Valley league now and have done so for several years, I am usually at the upper ranks but I just do not have the consistency or mental strength to compete in the Sattelite pro tournaments. I am missing something. I contacted Scott several months ago and set up my first lesson, which happened yesterday.

Boy, did he open my eyes. Scott pointed out a few minor flaws in my approach to the game. Minor yet the barrior that has been holding me back. Set me up with a pre-shot routine and a warm up routine to do before I begin with any other practice exercises. He also educated me on a couple of things, that I "thought" I already knew. I have some concrete things to work on and Scott gave me the tools to accomplish my goals, which are to start cashing in somewhere in some of these tournaments that I play in (Viking tour etc..)

I would highly recommend Scott and his teaching style. He is very professional and extremely knowledgeable. Well worth the $75 per hour he charges. I figured that as much as I have invested in equipment and table time, that this was a very small price to pay. I plan to master the exercises he has given me and have him back in 6 months to a year.

I will post with more results in several weeks as to the improvement of my game. I just love the game, it has nothing to do with gambling or money to me, just a challenge to be the best I can be. You can reach Scott at poolology@aol.com

Barbara
02-19-2004, 12:56 PM
Well I'm looking to hook up with Scott before VF starts because I'm doing something in my stroke or stance that's causing pain in my right shoulder after only an hour of play.

Barbara

RUNaRAK
02-19-2004, 03:08 PM
Scott is a great instructor. He helped me tremendously. If anyone wants to know more. PM me.

SPetty
02-19-2004, 03:09 PM
Why did you delete your post? Were you chastised by CCB Admin? Or other CCBers? Inquiring minds want to know...

Wally_in_Cincy
02-19-2004, 03:13 PM
No reason to delete your post. Scott deserves all the kudos he gets. He is a very good instructor and has helped my game a lot.

Tom_In_Cincy
02-19-2004, 05:19 PM
RUNaRAC's lesson with Scott Lee is also discussed at www.poolplayersparadise.com (http://www.poolplayersparadise.com)

Read the post here (http://www.poolplayersparadise.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=105&sid=a 69d2e25cd9eb6e76bf641bb4a32f27f)

woody_968
02-19-2004, 06:04 PM
I took my first lesson with Scott las Sunday, I was very pleased with the lesson and will be looking forward to the next time he is in town!

Some of the best money anyone could spend on their game.

Qtec
02-19-2004, 06:56 PM
Just interested, are you right or left handed?

Qtec

Dagwood
02-19-2004, 07:25 PM
Just curious, does Scott schedule his lessons around his traveling schedule? Or is travel schedule dependant on who wants lessons? I would be real interested in taking a long lesson with him in the next year...I know I'm due for some more lessons....

Dags

RUNaRAK
02-19-2004, 08:20 PM
Dags,
I believe that Scott schedules his lessons around his schedule. You can ask him specific questions by emailing him. Well worth the cash.
His email is poolology@aol.com

Peace

Barbara
02-19-2004, 08:51 PM
I'm right-handed, plus I shoot right-handed.

Barbara

Dagwood
02-20-2004, 12:47 AM
Thanks...I just got a PM from him, and replied to it. If I get lessons in the next year, it would have to be while I'm in Monterey, California. After that, hopefully, I'll be in England, or back here in Augusta, GA. Depending on where, then I can get the lessons at that time too...

Dags

Cueless Joey
02-20-2004, 01:20 AM
Where the heck is Scotty?
He still owes me Thai food dinner.
And to Scotty, in case he drops by, Scott I asked Efren about his let the cue go stroke. He said he did not steal that from you.

dmgwalsh
02-20-2004, 05:40 AM
He's in the Chicago area til the end of the Month. I know he's gonna be here the weekend of March 6. He's going down to Florida for a week, but I don't remember if that is before or after March 6. Give him a call on his cell.

jjinfla
02-20-2004, 06:26 AM
Only way to know if you improved is to enter those tournaments at the pool hall and see if you win it now.

Jake

Scott Lee
02-20-2004, 09:54 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote jjinfla:</font><hr> Only way to know if you improved is to enter those tournaments at the pool hall and see if you win it now.

Jake <hr /></blockquote>

Jake...Even with my simplified methods of learning a true stroke, there will still be a certain amount of "downtime", where a player's actual game speed may be temporarily less...while they are learning to 'fine tune' or redevelop their strokes. There is NO immediate solution to instantly improving your game significantly. My students frequently see SOME immediate improvements (particularly in developing their "feel" for hitting the CB smoothly), but they know they must put in the requisite practice time for the
'improvements' to become rote, or automatic...which then becomes a permanent part of their game repertoire.

So, while RUNaRack is already an expert player, he will likely take some period of time to adjust to the slight changes we made, in both his execution, and how he thinks about playing. He may, or may not, win tournaments right off the bat...but he, absolutely guaranteed, will see dramatic and permanent improvement in his overall game, and I expect him to win more often than in the past. How long that takes depends on the individual player. I have frequently seen a dramatic improvement in two weeks time, by practicing diligently, with discipline...the right things, in the right order, for the right amount of time.
I certainly don't claim to have the 'holy grail', but I do teach something that works very well, for a majority of people...which is all I can hope for!

Scott Lee

Scott Lee
02-20-2004, 10:00 AM
Joey...I say we get Gerry to take us both to Nishizawa (sp?). That'd be even better, wouldn't it? /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Scott

RUNaRAK
02-20-2004, 10:54 AM
I totally agree with you Scott. If I expect immediate, big results, I would be a fool! I realize that the tools that you gave me are going to take time, patience and hard work. That is more than fair. You really cleared my head with the simplistic approach to the game and gave me some new insight as well.
I have relistic expectations, not dreams of the majic lamp making me an overnight champion. Although if that were the case, everyone would be a world beater. I appreciate your help and look forward to our next meeting.

Peace,

miko
02-20-2004, 11:14 AM
hey Scott, how about coming over to Asia so that I can get some lessons from you. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Sid_Vicious
02-20-2004, 11:31 AM
"hey Scott, how about coming over to Asia so that I can get some lessons from you"

If and when there's an international bridge built to the far east, Scot'll surely put his trusted auto in gear and add that to the schedule...sid

mike_in_iowa
02-20-2004, 11:52 AM
I hope that bridge has a gas station- Scott knows

Candyman
02-20-2004, 12:24 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Scott Lee:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote jjinfla:</font><hr> Only way to know if you improved is to enter those tournaments at the pool hall and see if you win it now.

Jake <hr /></blockquote>

Jake...Even with my simplified methods of learning a true stroke, there will still be a certain amount of "downtime", where a player's actual game speed may be temporarily less...while they are learning to 'fine tune' or redevelop their strokes. There is NO immediate solution to instantly improving your game significantly. My students frequently see SOME immediate improvements (particularly in developing their "feel" for hitting the CB smoothly), but they know they must put in the requisite practice time for the
'improvements' to become rote, or automatic...which then becomes a permanent part of their game repertoire.

So, while RUNaRack is already an expert player, he will likely take some period of time to adjust to the slight changes we made, in both his execution, and how he thinks about playing. He may, or may not, win tournaments right off the bat...but he, absolutely guaranteed, will see dramatic and permanent improvement in his overall game, and I expect him to win more often than in the past. How long that takes depends on the individual player. I have frequently seen a dramatic improvement in two weeks time, by practicing diligently, with discipline...the right things, in the right order, for the right amount of time.
I certainly don't claim to have the 'holy grail', but I do teach something that works very well, for a majority of people...which is all I can hope for!

Scott Lee

<hr /></blockquote>

I agree 100% with Scott's accessment of lesson progress. My lesson was last June and I am just reaping the rewards. Just call me a slow learner! I had only been playing pool for 9 months when Scott gave me my lesson. My level of play jumped immediately to the point that all of my regular opponents could tell something had happened. No one new I had taken a lesson. Scotts methods were new to me and I felt uncomfortable over the ball much of the time. Some days I scared myself with superior play and other days, it was like I had never played the game. Scott called it downtime, but I called it frustration in the first degree. I believed in Scott and his teaching methods and I have stayed the course. The one thing Scott can't do is get inside of your body and you can't get in his. It takes time to put everything together as it relates to form when you are addressing the ball. We are all built differently and what works for one player won't work for another. With a lot of practice and tabletime, I have be able to analyze what form works and what doesn't and put it all together. I have finally been able to put it all together and the comfort and confidence have become very consistant. I have now been playing for a 1 1/2yr, but any opponent that plays me knows they better bring their A-game when they play me. This is all due to an eight hour lesson with Scott and believing in his techniques. Lock /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Wally_in_Cincy
02-20-2004, 12:51 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Candyman:</font><hr>
....This is all due to an eight hour lesson with Scott and believing in his techniques. Lock /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif
<hr /></blockquote>

Plus your own hard work.

Candyman
02-20-2004, 01:23 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Wally_in_Cincy:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote Candyman:</font><hr>
....This is all due to an eight hour lesson with Scott and believing in his techniques. Lock /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif
<hr /></blockquote>

Plus your own hard work. <hr /></blockquote>

Thanks Wally! /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif I guess that probably did have something to do with it. You made my day! /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif Lock

Ralph S.
02-20-2004, 06:57 PM
Hey Scott, was you still planning on stopping in the Fort?

charlieb
02-20-2004, 11:11 PM
Afraid we won't see him here on the coast until May. Now I would like to share in a good Thai dinner and would even buy the libations. Imagine what I could learn from the two of you--before the libations.

Scott Lee
02-20-2004, 11:43 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote mike_in_iowa:</font><hr> I hope that bridge has a gas station- Scott knows <hr /></blockquote>

/ccboard/images/graemlins/blush.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Scott Lee
02-20-2004, 11:55 PM
miko...Actually, I have been in negotiations for a possible trip to Thailand. Where are you located?

Scott Lee

Chris Cass
02-21-2004, 12:42 AM
BTW Mike,

Congrats on the finish at Windy City. Great job my friend.

Regards,

C.C.

Ralph S.
02-21-2004, 02:01 AM
Geuss not. /ccboard/images/graemlins/confused.gif

miko
02-21-2004, 11:33 AM
I'm here in Singapore. Maybe you can make a stopover here before going to Thailand. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Scott Lee
02-21-2004, 10:49 PM
Sorry Ralph...I totally missed your post on coming to Ft. Wayne. I will be coming through there, but probably not until after I come back from FL, in mid-March. When I went to OH and IN last week, I went through Indianapolis, so I missed ya!

Scott