PDA

View Full Version : Do politician make thier own 'science'

moblsv
02-19-2004, 02:07 PM
A group of preeminent scientists released a statement
http://www.ucsusa.org/global_environment/rsi/rsirelease.html
about distorted science influencing political decisions and the bush administration is "disappointed in the report, and called it biased."
http://www.wired.com/news/medtech/0,1286,62339,00.html

Although this focuses on the bush administration I have always been concerned about 'bad' science being used to justify whatever you want to hear. The flip side is that all too often the science itself is influenced by political pressure and funding being supplied toward obtaining the 'right' answer.

eg8r
02-19-2004, 02:43 PM
While I am sure that every administration will put people in positions to help move their policy along I thought this one statement was funny (pulled from the second webpage quoted)[ QUOTE ]
The scientists listed various policy issues as being unfairly influenced by the administration, including those concerning climate change, mercury emissions, reproductive health, lead poisoning in children, workplace safety and nuclear weapons. New regulations and laws are necessary to fix the situation, the statement says. <hr /></blockquote> When these scientists are referring to "Climate Chage" are they referring to Global Warming? If so, then I would have to question everything else they have to say.

[ QUOTE ]
"We have to find a way to reach out to them and try to come to an understanding, because this administration has in fact been very supportive of science," Marburger said. He noted the administration has doubled the National Institutes of Health budget and increased the National Science Foundation budget.
<hr /></blockquote> See that, the scientists have nothing to say. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif They just made out like bandits. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Now I am wondering when will the National Endowment for the Arts step up and accuse Bush of ignoring them. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

eg8r