PDA

View Full Version : I bought a Brunswick table. Now what? A cue?

armandito
02-19-2004, 03:49 PM
I purchased a Brunswick 7' Bradford table. It was installed two weeks ago, but I was out on vacation last week, so I haven't played a lot. The table feels, looks and plays awesome, but that's not the question.

I had never owned a pool table or even a cue stick before, so I am not sure about how much maintenance is needed for either.

- How often do I need to brush the table? Can I vacuum the cloth? Would you recommend I use Pledge for the table, or just a damp cloth? How about for the leather pockets?

- How often do I need to clean the balls?, What should I use?

- What kind of maintenance do the cues require? I don't even know how to change a tip. I own the 5 cues that came with the Centennial upgrade, plus a Coca Cola promotional cue, plus two cues I purchased on Ebay from ZCues, which is connected to ZBilliards. By the way, the ZCues feel surprisingly good for the $10 I paid for them.

On that same tone. I play by myself. My wife doesn't play, and most people in the family don't either. So I'm using the table only to improve my game.

Should I purchase a cue? How much would that benefit me? I could probably spend up to $700, maybe a little more. What brand would you recommend?

I am a fairly decent player. I can run the table, but I don't play in tournaments as I don't have time, and my schedule is extremely variable.

Finally, I live in Green Bay, WI, home of the Pechauer cues, and on their website (ccqbilliards.com) they mention that I can get up to 50% discount (off retail prices) on their cues just by stopping at their store. Would this be the best option?

Thanks for your opinions and help....

Dagwood
02-19-2004, 03:58 PM
if you are right there by Pechauer cues, I would stop by and talk to the guys down there. If you are getting a 50% discount (or up to that), then it would deff. behoove you to go that route. Pechauer's are a good quality stick at a reasonable price, so that's the route that I would go. As far as maintenance...try to keep the cues in a room where the temperature doesnt' fluctuate too much and is realatively free from moisture. That will help minimize warping. The better people to ask on this would be the cuemakers who post here...such as Blackheart or BarryC.

stlshooter
02-19-2004, 04:03 PM
Pechauer is a great quality cue and the location is such that you can not go wrong. Cues can be sort of a gimmick in that you can not buy your game in a cue. Buy something that you like but no need to overspend thinking you are getting additional performance, all of these cues play super from $200 on up.

Frank_Glenn
02-19-2004, 05:36 PM
[ QUOTE ]
- How often do I need to brush the table? Can I vacuum the cloth? Would you recommend I use Pledge for the table, or just a damp cloth? How about for the leather pockets?<hr /></blockquote>

Vacuuming will not hurt it, or shouldn't hurt it. I use Quick-Clean to clean my table. I clean it whenever my hand starts to show blue smudge on my palm. www.quick-clean.com (http://www.quick-clean.com)
[ QUOTE ]

- How often do I need to clean the balls?, What should I use? <hr /></blockquote>

Damp cloth, then dry cloth. Once a week or every other week, depending on how much you play.

[ QUOTE ]

- What kind of maintenance do the cues require? I don't even know how to change a tip. I own the 5 cues that came with the Centennial upgrade, plus a Coca Cola promotional cue, plus two cues I purchased on Ebay from ZCues, which is connected to ZBilliards. By the way, the ZCues feel surprisingly good for the $10 I paid for them.<hr /></blockquote>

Get a Willard or other tip tool that will let you keep the tip curved to a dime radius.

[ QUOTE ]

On that same tone. I play by myself. My wife doesn't play, and most people in the family don't either. So I'm using the table only to improve my game.

Should I purchase a cue? How much would that benefit me? I could probably spend up to $700, maybe a little more. What brand would you recommend?

I am a fairly decent player. I can run the table, but I don't play in tournaments as I don't have time, and my schedule is extremely variable.

Finally, I live in Green Bay, WI, home of the Pechauer cues, and on their website (ccqbilliards.com) they mention that I can get up to 50% discount (off retail prices) on their cues just by stopping at their store. Would this be the best option?

Thanks for your opinions and help....

<hr /></blockquote>

Pechauer is an excellent cue. You do not need to spend $700, but you certainly can if you want. I would think you could find a super nice cue for about half of that. YMMV

Wally_in_Cincy
02-20-2004, 07:39 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote armandito:</font><hr>
...I don't even know how to change a tip....

<font color="blue">I would not even try. Have a professional do it. Your local pool hall can direct you to someone. Of course if you don't play a whole lot a tip will last many months. </font color>

...I could probably spend up to $700, maybe a little more...

<font color="blue">At the risk of sounding like a parrot, I will say that you can get a fine cue for less than half that. </font color>

...they mention that I can get up to 50% discount (off retail prices) on their cues just by stopping at their store. Would this be the best option?

<font color="blue">Definitely. They make a fine cue. </font color>
<hr /></blockquote>