PDA

View Full Version : That one player....

Dagwood
02-19-2004, 04:28 PM
Don't know about anyone else...but I have this one player that I absolutely can't play against. I get totally out of stroke, psyched out, ect against him. Last night I was playing in a weekly tournament. Was shooting real well to. This guy had to spot me the LAST 4. There's no way he should beat me with that, and the way I was playing that night, we were an even match up. (I put a 3 pack together in my first match). SO we play. it's a race to 4 btw...short tourney. I get to the table a total of 10 times in a race to 4, and 2 times I was kicking, 5 times had no shot and had to play safe, (in a row mind you, all were successfull, he hit each one the crapped the 5 ball in on the 5th attempt 2 rails). There was nothing I could do. Finally get to the table with a chance to get out and become the consumate rail driver. Oh yeah...he had two 9-ball combinations. Anyways...no matter what I do against this guy, I can't beat him. He could spot me the table and I couldn't win. What do you guys think I should do?? I've sworn off playing him for anything, because he'll take you for all you're worth, but won't lose a 10th of what you will. he's a nit. I need to figure out what is the deal with my mental game, because, when I showed up down here 3 years ago, I wasn't afraid to play anyone. Now, when I play him, it's like I don't even want to be at the table, and I just end up giving games to him. Any input at all would be appreciated.

Frank_Glenn
02-19-2004, 05:40 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Dagwood:</font><hr> Don't know about anyone else...but I have this one player that I absolutely can't play against. I get totally out of stroke, psyched out, ect against him.

&lt;&lt;snip for brevety&gt;&gt;

I showed up down here 3 years ago, I wasn't afraid to play anyone. Now, when I play him, it's like I don't even want to be at the table, and I just end up giving games to him. Any input at all would be appreciated. <hr /></blockquote>

I would challenge his ass every single time i saw him until I crushed him. He would hate to see me come into the pool room. AFAIK this is the only way to get over this type of hang up.

pooljunkie73
02-19-2004, 05:44 PM
Maybe you want it too bad. Just relax, try to capitilize on any mistakes he makes. It will come. Patience.

Kent Mc.

Popcorn
02-19-2004, 11:57 PM
You are right, he should not lose the family fortune, but if he thinks he can win, give it his best effort. When I was about 17 a guy came into the bowling alley where I played one night looking to play. I play this guy and he beats me pretty good. I asked him if he wanted to play some more the next night and he said I could come to where he plays if I wanted to play. This was like 30 miles away. I few days later I call up there to see if he is there and wants to play some. I get a hold of him so me and my buddies head up there. He beats the hell out of me with total disrespect, as if I can't play at all. To make a long story short, over the next couple of months he beats me like eight times but not that bad, my friends would not even go with me any more. Here is the punch line, I finally beat this guy and I mean bad, he never beat me again and we must have played a dozen more times over the next year. Just as you said he dreaded seeing me. He and I were very much alike, we liked to play a long time 15 or 20 hours every time we played. You know, now a days if you break even with somebody, the next time you see them they wants a spot, the game is too tough. People just have no play in them anymore, it is all about winning and nothing else.

Chris Cass
02-20-2004, 02:54 AM
Dags,

Do yourself a favor and don't play him. Play the table only. When it's your turn just remember your playing the table. Try to think of only that. If you always lose to the guy then, what do you have to lose? Nothig. Don't think about the past and just concentrate on the task at hand. Take a bathroom break in you need to. Do deep breathing exercizes while in the chair and that will rush oxygen to the brain and believe me, you can do this.

Regards,

C.C.

Mike H
02-20-2004, 10:41 AM
You gotta step up and gamble with the guy. Not just one set, but at least enough to let yourself get comfortable playing him under some sort of pressure. And if you lose 1 set, it's not the end of it, you just keep playing till you get there. It may take more than one session, but if that's what it takes, then that's what you gotta do. Keep plugging away and MAKE yourself get familiar with beating this one.

Eric.
02-20-2004, 02:57 PM
You might be trying too hard to beat this guy.

I'm guessing that you need to be a little less emotionally tied to this match up. Next time you play him, try concentrating on playing the shot perfectly(the entire shot), one shot at a time. When you're not at the table, don't make eye contact with him and ignore what he's saying. Try focusing on the table/the movement and layout of the table. Keep watching the balls until it's your turn. If you can lose yourself in the table, by the time you look up again, you probably won the set.

Eric &gt;wearing a lucky charm doesn't hurt either

Sid_Vicious
02-21-2004, 10:34 AM
"You know, now a days if you break even with somebody, the next time you see them they wants a spot, the game is too tough. People just have no play in them anymore, it is all about winning and nothing else."

I nearly started a thread about this Popcorn. I played a guy the other day, started at 5pm and played until 2am, broke even and he too wanted adjustment for the next time. I had to scramble late in the events to climb out of a hole just to break even, so the talent levels couldn't have been that uneven. It made me wonder about the general thoughts on the subject, thanks for the insight...sid