PDA

View Full Version : Out of the loop, need to fill me in, not a newbie

pimpho
02-19-2004, 08:38 PM
I haven't been keeping up with billiards since 98 or 99 either watching or playing seriously. Since there is more exposure on TV now and it kinda got me wanting to get back to it. I used to own a Meucci but I sold it, call it a hiatus I was thinking about getting a cue again but I have no idea on what has changed since then. Are cue brands and quality remained the same or has it changed? I was thinking about getting another Meucci again but I'm not sure. I'm looking at Vikings and some Japanese brand (a lil help, the name escapes me). I realize the response is going the be the cliche of, "you gotta try each one." But all I'm asking is, did I miss anything?

bigshooter
02-19-2004, 09:52 PM
You won't find many Meucci fans on this board, the general consensus seems to be that the quality is no longer very good, I would tend to agree.
If you like the Meucci style cues I would consider a cue made by Mike Erwin, He worked making Meucci cues for many years but is now making custom cues on his own, here's one I found on ebay.

Mike Erwin Cue (http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3661339109&category=21 212)

Whatever you do I would consider some sort of custom cue over a production cue, a lower end custom is about the same as a high end production and probably much better in quality and there are many makers to choose from.

Dale Perry sells a lot of cues on ebay also and his lower end models are reasonably priced.

These are just a few names I thought of , there are many to choose from but considering that a custom can be had for not much more I like that route but thats just my humble opionion.

pimpho
02-19-2004, 10:57 PM
As I read, there seem to be a lot of Meucci haters here. I got mine around 97-98 and I don't remember striking it well. As a matter of fact, I had more success with my first cue I ever owned, a Mali. Probably played bad due to the fact I didn't play as much as I used to. Anyways, I'm not too familiar with custom cues. Besides what you listed, what do you recommend? If I do get stuck with a production cues, which should I try?

stickman
02-19-2004, 11:05 PM
I think the Japanese company is probably Lucasi. Despite the steriotype of the poor Japanese quality, I think they are well built, and are a well priced cue. I am not making reccomendations, just relaying information. If I could afford it, I would probably choose a custom cue maker to make my cue.

I'm not aware of anything earthshaking in new cues, but there are many cue tip manufacturers making laminated tips. With the competition, prices are getting more reasonable. Some of the less known companies rival the quality of the high priced manufacturers.

ryushen21
02-20-2004, 01:44 AM
As far as cue brands go, depending on your budget, i would say that Lucasi is one of the best cues for what you spend. You can get a well made cue with either a standard uni-loc joint or the radial pin for anywhere from $200-$500. I love radial joints and they are what i recommend. But if you plan on upgrading, i.e. custom shafts, the uni-loc upgrades are usually cheaper.

There are a lot of great cue brands out there to choose from and i would try out as many as you can get your hands on. They all have a different feel and hit to them. Good luck with it all man. And welcome back to the best addiction one can have.

Rich R.
02-20-2004, 05:07 AM
Check the member roster of the American Cuemakers Association. You may be able to find a good cue maker, or more, in your area. Visit and see if you like what they have in your price range.
If you don't buy, it will still be educational.

http://www.cuemakers.org/

jjinfla
02-20-2004, 06:37 AM
A 21 oz cue? All that weight would wear me out.

There are quite a few Dale Perry cues around here. Seems a lot of players right here have been winning them in the APA best of series. Retail $600 to $900 range.

And DP is an APA sponsor and the league operators have them for sale.

Tried one out last night, about 20 oz, felt thin to the grip and the balance just didn't seem right. Maybe it is just because I am used to my cue which is just a tad under 19 oz.

But they look nice and the owners love them.

Jake

pooltchr
02-20-2004, 07:33 AM
I would agree Lucasi is a well made production cue. I played with one for several years. Recently swithced to a Fury with the radial pin, and once I got used to that joint, I like it even better than the Lucasi. Both come out of the same factory. (China, not Japan)

stickman
02-20-2004, 08:31 AM
Thanks for the correction. /ccboard/images/graemlins/crazy.gif (China)

Kato
02-20-2004, 08:39 AM
I'm not a Meucci guy, never was. I have however gone on record for liking Mali. I think they hit really solid. Lucasi's are nice looking and hit pretty well, especially for the money. Depending on your budget you might take a peek at Schon, that's the production (although limited) that I really like.

Like most of the folks on the board that own customs (lump me in there to) I suggest taking a look at that. I'm under the impression that once you play with a custom cue, made to your specs, you'll probably never go back to production again. It's also very educational, going to the shop, seeing what it takes, seeing how they make cues and just talking to the owner is a great experience (at least for the first 10 times /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif).

Kato

CaptMorgan
02-20-2004, 08:53 AM
I'll agree that Lucasi is a great cue for the money. Also I'm using a Viking that I love. I haven't found anything anywhere that hits near as good as my Viking cue and I'm in the process of getting my second one. What I like also about Viking is the options they give you when ordering. You can have any of 6 joints, stain colors, wrap colors, tips, etc etc. So you can change the feel and the look to your liking. Also you can spend anywhere from $100-over $1000 and still get a great cue just depends on how fancy you want it. But they all hit great. If you can find someone who has one, try it out and see what you think (that's how I got pulled in)

http://www.vikingcue.com/

stickman
02-20-2004, 09:02 AM
The cue I use was made by a relatively unknown maker. (Robin Pierpoint) He no longer makes them. I've shot it for about 6 years. It's a nice cue and I paid $300. A friend has a J. Pechauer. I have shot it and really like his. They can be purchased off the shelf or completely custom. Off the shelf, with the stock patterns, you can choose various options to your tastes. I'm looking into the 60" cue option, 19 oz., and leather wrap. In the full custom, you can design a completely unique cue to your specifications. www.pechauer.com (http://www.pechauer.com) There are several suppliers including this one. http://www.seyberts.com/pechauer/index.htm

pimpho
02-20-2004, 09:25 AM
Vikings seems to be the cue of choice at my college team, back in the days. We has had a couple of those, a Meucci, a Falcon, and a Mohawk. The Japanese cue I as referring to had a flower pattern as the logo. Kinda like the flower the samarai's used as a flag design. Anyways, I do have a decent budget for a cue so I'm trying to get back into seeing whats out there.

Pizza Bob
02-20-2004, 09:27 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote pimpho:</font><hr>...some Japanese brand (a lil help, the name escapes me).<hr /></blockquote>

Helmstetter / Adam / Balabushka...good quality "journeyman" cues. Consider other American brands if you're going with a production: Pechauer, Viking, McDermott. I would vote for the low-end custom as opposed to a production, but that's just me. Valley Forge is coming up - a cue purchaser's paradise.

The other Japanese company would be Mezz. Very high quality production cues.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

pimpho
02-20-2004, 09:37 AM
I think I'm leaning towards production first. I want to get my touch and feel back (ok that phrase is setting myself up, insert joke here). Who knows, I might have changed in 5 years.

stickman
02-20-2004, 10:20 AM
I just sold my Viking. It was a good cue. I just liked the custom better. I used it off and on for about five years, and eventually stopped using it. I anticipated buying a new cue, but didn't get the tax refund I hoped for. I'll have to develop a new plan.

dooziexx
02-20-2004, 10:30 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote pimpho:</font><hr> I think I'm leaning towards production first. I want to get my touch and feel back (ok that phrase is setting myself up, insert joke here). Who knows, I might have changed in 5 years. <hr /></blockquote>

Dont forget Schon and Predator make good quality production cues too. If you need help looking for one feel free to contact me.

pimpho
02-20-2004, 03:06 PM
Thanks for all your help, I think I narrowed it down to 4 cues: Lucasi LE 60, Viking VX 14 or VM 21, or Pechauer (not fully custom) J01. Any thoughts?

Fred Agnir
02-20-2004, 03:19 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote pimpho:</font><hr> The Japanese cue I as referring to had a flower pattern as the logo. Kinda like the flower the samarai's used as a flag design<hr /></blockquote> Orchid?

Fred

pimpho
02-20-2004, 03:36 PM
Orchid, no it didn't look like that. I dont know, I might not remember it, its been awhile.

CaptMorgan
02-20-2004, 03:44 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote pimpho:</font><hr> Thanks for all your help, I think I narrowed it down to 4 cues: Lucasi LE 60, Viking VX 14 or VM 21, or Pechauer (not fully custom) J01. Any thoughts? <hr /></blockquote>

All good choices, if you're getting a Viking try these guys out, they'll hook you up, super customer service and handling. The Billiard Warehouse (http://www.billiardwarehouse.com/index.htm)

I get all my stuff here and have no complaints.

pimpho
02-20-2004, 04:08 PM
Is it true, most web sites can only post a 20% discount but if you call, you get a better price?

CaptMorgan
02-20-2004, 06:44 PM
I've never heard that before but it's worth a shot, won't hurt anything to call and find out.

stickman
02-21-2004, 01:47 AM
I really don't think you will go wrong with the J01. /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Dagwood
02-21-2004, 03:48 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Fred Agnir:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote pimpho:</font><hr> The Japanese cue I as referring to had a flower pattern as the logo. Kinda like the flower the samarai's used as a flag design<hr /></blockquote> Orchid?

Fred <hr /></blockquote>

I believe the flower that he was refering to was either the Cherry Blossom, or the Plum blosson...either one was used by the samurai...

There is a cue manufacturer named Orchid though...it very well could be the cue you were referencing...

Dags *shrugging*

Sid_Vicious
02-21-2004, 10:46 AM
I've never owned a Meucci, always had an ill attitude about them, but I hit with a black dot Meucci a while back that I would say was a special cue. Lucasi is a good deal, and yet if you wanted another Meucci, I'd suggest the black dot shafted line...sid