PDA

View Full Version : Final smoking update/or should i say non smoking

cueball1950
02-19-2004, 10:12 PM
well i just thought everyone would like to know how it has turned out so far. Well i gave myself the little trophy icon to award myself something for not smoking. it has been somewhere around 20 days or so. I know i have a long way to go but i am determined to make it. again thank you to everyone who has sent me words of encouragement both here and thru emails. you people are the greatest.........mike

Dagwood
02-20-2004, 12:38 AM
Alright Mike!!! Keep it up!!!

Dags

CarolNYC
02-20-2004, 05:27 AM
Way to go,Mike! /ccboard/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Rich R.
02-20-2004, 05:45 AM
One day at a time, Mike. Just keep going one day at a time. You are now a non-smoker. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

stickman
02-20-2004, 07:17 AM
Keep it up, Mike. I stopped smoking again yesterday. Wish me luck. I just got tired of choughing, hacking, and gagging for the first hours of the morning.

PQQLK9
02-20-2004, 08:03 AM
Good news Mike, keep it up, you have a lot of people pulling for you.

CaptMorgan
02-20-2004, 09:23 AM
Good job. I've quit on and off now I really only smoke everyonce in awhile. No more than a pack a week sometimes less. I should just quit I know but...

Anyway I like to see good news so Congrats.

UWPoolGod
02-20-2004, 09:54 AM
Great job! I never have or will ever smoke...parents turned me off of that. I have also not had anything to drink for 6 days...since I am trying to lose some poundage. I really want a tasty beverage though...this water is getting old.

Barbara
02-20-2004, 10:24 AM
Way to go, Mike!!

Notice a difference how food tastes?

Barbara

cueball1950
02-20-2004, 01:12 PM
Stickman...keep up the good work. And yes Barb, food is starting to taste different now. And thank everybody again for your kind words of encouragement...............mike

MikeM
02-20-2004, 01:33 PM
Great job Mike! You made the right choice. Hope it gets easier for you every day.

Mike

dg-in-centralpa
02-20-2004, 03:47 PM
Congrats Mike! Here's a little incentive - for every dollar you save from not buying cigarettes, save it for a new cue or save it for a day at Saratoga.

Duane

SPetty
02-20-2004, 03:56 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote cueball1950:</font><hr> ...food is starting to taste different now. <hr /></blockquote>Notice you didn't say better? When I quit smoking, I really didn't notice a change in how food tasted, but I sure did notice a change in how the Home Depot fertilizer department smelled!!!

ras314
02-20-2004, 06:27 PM
Stick with it Stick, morning hacking and gagging stopped for me in about a week. Now I think I can smell a desil truck 5 mi ahead of me.

Mike sort of helped me quit so far. Maybe you will help make us all three quitters. Serve the gov right if everybody quit paying their dammed tobacco tax.

cueball1950
02-20-2004, 10:12 PM
well if anybody else wants to try and wants to use the gum, i have 2 boxes that i never used. and since it is over the counter i don't think i will be breaking any laws with giving it away. so if you want it just pm me and let me know and i will get it out to you asap................mike

Keith Talent
02-20-2004, 11:45 PM
Mike,

That sounds like one of my straight pool runs ... er, somewhere around 20 balls or so, lol.

Hang in there ... I've never taken up the habit, mainly because my parents hardly even made an effort to give it up.

Makes me sad when I think of the sort of box it has put their whole lives into ... everything revolves around whether they can smoke or not now -- at 75! And walking around the block on a nice day? Forget about it ... way too difficult.

They see their grandkids about 20% as much as they would if they'd just give it up. Even if they're not puffing when me or my brothers are there (though they'll always try to sneak a couple) after you leave, everything's gotta be washed. My wife and I were amazed at how even the plastic lid of a can of baby formula they got us carried the aroma of Tiparillos a week later. And even cards and letters ... and they're so defensive about it that I haven't raised the subject in any serious way in 25 years. Truth is, it drives a wedge between us.

Power to ya for going all-out to kick it. Diabolical stuff, for sure.

Chris Cass
02-21-2004, 12:17 AM
Great news Mike,

I want you to know I have all the faith in the world you'll quit for good. It takes a strong person and you've got what it takes. Hopefully the nextime we meet you'll have quit thinking about quiting and I'll play some 3 cushion with ya. I don't play the game at all but I do know the rails and the diamond sys pretty good. I've also heard that when you quit smoking that your ability to think more clearly comes easy. Not a bad plus huh?

Regards,

C.C.~~likes Mikes stories. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

stickman
02-21-2004, 02:14 AM
I don't know if food tastes better yet. It tasted good to me already, and with the cravings, I eat anything I can find to curb the cravings. I can afford the extra pounds though. I shot a tournament tonight without any beer too. With buying beer and cigarettes, I might be able to save the money for the new cue I'm wanting. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Barbara
02-21-2004, 08:20 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote ras314:</font><hr>Now I think I can smell a diesel truck 5 mi ahead of me.

<font color="blue">Dontcha just hate that?! Man they stink!!</font color>

Mike sort of helped me quit so far. Maybe you will help make us all three quitters. Serve the gov right if everybody quit paying their dammed tobacco tax.

<font color="blue">Aint that the truth. What's going to happen when they can't make their tax money on the vices? What are they going to tax next?</font color> <hr /></blockquote>

Barbara

Wally_in_Cincy
02-21-2004, 08:52 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Barbara:</font><hr>
...What are they going to tax next?</font color> <hr /></blockquote>

Anything they can.

Actually they will never run out of vices to tax.

Sid_Vicious
02-21-2004, 09:26 AM
Is that what causes that? Seriously though, I thought the same thing just this morning, and made a few promises of "someday soon." Playing pool will be the tough arena to avoid the habit, about the only time I indulge, but indulge foolishly. Feels like one habit feeds the other...sid

cueball1950
02-21-2004, 11:42 AM
Lets see. what can they tax next. how about breathing, or making whoopie with your significant other,(maybe that would be a luxury tax...lol) But lets not fret. the Gov't can always find something to tax...................mike

Dagwood
02-21-2004, 02:51 PM
Just wait....they'll come out with the "pool time tax", a separate tax just on pool time to compensate them for the lost revenue on the tobacco tax...that'll be the day I move to England.

Dags - Doesn't really want to move

JimS
02-23-2004, 12:48 PM
Way to go! I haven't been lurking/posting on this side of the forum or I"d have been with you sooner.

I stopped (not quit...stopped) last May 1. That's 299 days. Whatever you've done the first 20 days is what you need to keep doing because the first 20 are the hardest and if it worked then it'll work TODAY.

It's always just today. I've not used any alcohol or pot etc for 8116 days but it's still just today.

I haven't quit. Quit means never again and never is a much bigger bite than I can chew. I've stopped for today but if life gets crappy enough I can always get loaded and have a cigarette tomorrow...but not TODAY!!

Keep it up today.

Later Jim