PDA

View Full Version : Spelling for today

JoePickens
02-20-2004, 08:02 PM
LOOSE:
1. Not fastened, restrained, or contained: loose bricks.

2. Not taut, fixed, or rigid: a loose anchor line; a loose chair leg.

3 Free from confinement or imprisonment; unfettered: criminals loose in the neighborhood; dogs that are loose on the streets.

4 Not tight-fitting or tightly fitted: loose shoes.

5 Not bound, bundled, stapled, or gathered together: loose papers.

6 Not compact or dense in arrangement or structure: loose gravel.

7 Lacking a sense of restraint or responsibility; idle: loose talk.

8 Not formal; relaxed: a loose atmosphere at the club.

9 Lacking conventional moral restraint in sexual behavior.

10 Not literal or exact: a loose translation.

11 Characterized by a free movement of fluids in the body: a loose cough; loose bowels.

Vapros
02-21-2004, 12:13 AM
Shame! You just stepped on a helluva lot of toes. Let it pass.

Chris Cass
02-21-2004, 12:28 AM
HAHAHAHA Hey Joe,

Someone pi$$ in your corn flakes? /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif I know for some spelling and grammer is important. I know I'm not very good at it myself. I think it's more important to get the point across. I however am bothered by some who don't separate paragraphs but with my shortcomings I can't say much.

I find the kindest way to help someone and relieve yourself of anguish is what some do for me. They'll reply and use the same mispelled word but in it's correct form. I know what their doing and find it most pleasing than all out, calling me on it. I think they're being respectful and I do catch it. BTW, if anyone who does this I'd like to thank you.

JAT,

C.C.~~have a good day Joe and don't rush the gray hairs. /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif

JoePickens
02-21-2004, 08:21 AM
Actually, I'm not very good at spelling or grammar either. I do know the difference though between lose and loose and for two years I have set here and kept quiet. Just this one time I couldn't control myself and had to say something. /ccboard/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

Wally_in_Cincy
02-21-2004, 09:06 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote JoePickens:</font><hr> Actually, I'm not very good at spelling or grammar either. I do know the difference though between lose and loose and for two years I have set here and kept quiet. Just this one time I couldn't control myself and had to say something. /ccboard/images/graemlins/crazy.gif <hr /></blockquote>

Joe,

If it makes you feel better then it's ok by me /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Wally~~laerned a long time ago not to correkt speling erorrs /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

cheesemouse
02-21-2004, 10:10 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote JoePickens:</font><hr> Actually, I'm not very good at spelling or grammar either. I do know the difference though between lose and loose and for two years I have set here and kept quiet. Just this one time I couldn't control myself and had to say something. /ccboard/images/graemlins/crazy.gif <hr /></blockquote>

Joe, is it still going to be OK to say stuff like "I play to loose"?

Frank_Glenn
02-21-2004, 10:17 AM

LOL, thier and there are another one. Oh, and you, your, although I think this last one is usually a typo, and not intentional. YMMV

dmgwalsh
02-21-2004, 10:22 AM

Set here?

Wally_in_Cincy
02-21-2004, 10:53 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote dmgwalsh:</font><hr>Set here? <hr /></blockquote>

LOL

I just caught that too. You beat me to it.

That's why I don't correct errors, I always end up screwing something up myself /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Wally~~imperfect speller, worse poolplayer

Steve - Detroit
02-21-2004, 10:58 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote cheesemouse:</font><hr>
Joe, is it still going to be OK to say stuff like "I play to loose"?

Only if you add another "o" on "to." /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

JoePickens
02-21-2004, 11:43 AM
Like I said, my spelling and grammar suck, but I do know the difference between lose and loose.

tateuts
02-21-2004, 01:32 PM
I was "Born Too Loose". I'm a man so don't send me a private message either.

Chris

jjinfla
02-21-2004, 02:17 PM

But then perhaps if you sat there everything would be okay. And set the cue on the table and have another drink of JD. Pretty soon everything will be okay. And don't pay attention to those sirens its only the nice little men in white coats who want to talk to you.

A good friend of mine gets lose and loose backwards all the time and it surprises me because he is pretty sharp and knowledgeable about a lot of things. And even publishes a monthly newsletter. So I just look the other way and forget about it. Then again, maybe he thinks he is right and I am the bozo who has it wrong. What really scares me is meeting all these retired teachers who have absolutely no common sense and are brain dead.

jake

Keith Talent
02-21-2004, 02:51 PM
Hey, I can play fast and lose ...
/ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Somebody once said: Don't make fun of people with funny accents, they speak more languages than you. Maybe that sort of caution should hold with bad grammar and spelling, which are no doubt a product of a youth misspent at the ph.

JoePickens
02-21-2004, 02:53 PM
I don't even know what you are talking about when you said not to send you a private message. I don't even know how to send one so I guess you are just wanting everyone else to think I sent you one so they would all be against me.

Nice try.

JoePickens
02-21-2004, 02:57 PM
Also, in case no one noticed I did not use anyones name in my post. All I did was post the meaning of "Loose". If that hit a nerve then my bad.

Ralph S.
02-21-2004, 04:02 PM
After reading some of the posts, I am going to respond in the following manner. I have been posting here for several years myself. One of the common things that does happen, is mispellings. Typing errors are another. Many people that do post, don't use spell check programs.

While it would be nice if all the posts were spelled properly, you must realize that we are not in highschool English 101. Nor do we live in a perfect world. While I do think that a highschool graduate should know these simple differences in word spelling, it is easier to overlook these minor errors. We are not writing for the "Washington Post". So, this leads to my final thought. Will you be calling the punctuation police next, Joe?

bigalerickson
02-21-2004, 05:53 PM
I have always viewed email, instant messaging and internet posing as a wonderful opportunity to express thoughts freely. I worry about my grammar and spelling att work. If I put a space between my long sentences it probably means i am brining on another thought, or maybe i was just ready to have a line break.

My point being: Don't worry about spelling or grammar on this great place to come together and share thoughts about pool. So, enough with this already.

Rack 'em!!

Peace,

Alex

bigalerickson
02-21-2004, 05:58 PM
You forgot the idiom:
on the loose -
At large; free.
Acting in an uninhibited fashion.
(Big Al can cut and paste from Websters too)

SPetty
02-21-2004, 07:45 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote JoePickens:</font><hr> I don't even know what you are talking about when you said not to send you a private message. I don't even know how to send one so I guess you are just wanting everyone else to think I sent you one so they would all be against me.<hr /></blockquote>Hi JoePickens,

I hate to have to explain it to you. It wasn't about you.

Tateuts was making a fun pun on "Born To Lose" by saying he was "Born Too Loose". His comment requesting no private messages was meant for all those male people who read these posts to understand that he is a male, not a female, so even though he was "Born Too Loose", he would not like to be contacted by male people looking for loose female people.

Okay, maybe I shouldn't have tried to explain, but I thought tateuts comment was awfully funny. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I really liked your original post as well.

JoePickens
02-21-2004, 08:05 PM
SPetty,

Sorry, I misunderstood.

Popcorn
02-21-2004, 09:24 PM
In all honesty, if a few misspellings on an obscure internet forum are the biggest problem you have, you are a pretty lucky fellow. You need to take a reality check.

tateuts
02-21-2004, 09:37 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote SPetty:</font><hr> Tateuts was making a fun pun on "Born To Lose" by saying he was "Born Too Loose"...
but I thought tateuts comment was awfully funny. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

<hr /></blockquote>

Oh my goodness, SPetty, thank you for the nice comment - much appreciated.

Joe Pickens, your analness, anality, analmosity, analogy, is coming through.

Ps. Feel free to correct the spelling on those words if you will.

And, might I suggest that you don't use your real name in the future?

Chris

JoePickens
02-21-2004, 10:26 PM
I can't even pronounce them and have no idea what they mean let alone if they are spelled right.

sandgnat
02-22-2004, 07:56 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Popcorn:</font><hr> In all honesty, if a few misspellings on an obscure internet forum are the biggest problem you have, you are a pretty lucky fellow. You need to take a reality check. <hr /></blockquote>

Hey, this board is my home page. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif