PDA

View Full Version : shaft question

marek
02-21-2004, 04:50 AM
Hi people!
Today Id like to ask one question. I am using 13mm shaft on my cue. I have seen lot of players worldwide to use 12mm or 12,5mm shaft. What are advantages and disadvantages of both 13 mm and thinner shafts? I am considering predator 314 shaft. Any opinions?

Rich R.
02-21-2004, 07:11 AM
Marek, I believe there are a couple of reasons you see players using the smaller shaft diameters.

First, IMHO, there are more snooker players starting to play pool. They are used to very small shafts and have a hard time going up to the 13mm diameter.

Second, the Predator cues have become popular. Their 314 shaft is 12.75mm and their new Z shaft is considerably small than that.

If you like the 13mm, I see no reason to change.

IMHO, before you switch to a Predator, take a long trial session with one first. I believe they feel dead and I get no resonse from them. But to each his/her own. A lot of people like them.

Happy shopping. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

marek
02-21-2004, 07:24 AM
THX for your input rich! If i really decide to go for the predator i ll take that trial session you recommend. The reason why I consider buying new shaft is that I feel that I would get more accuracy with thinner shaft. I like the snooker shaft but it is too thin for pool balls..

Kato
02-21-2004, 07:26 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Rich R.:</font><hr>IMHO, before you switch to a Predator, take a long trial session with one first. I believe they feel dead and I get no resonse from them. But to each his/her own. A lot of people like them.
<hr /></blockquote>

Finally, somebody feels the same way I do. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Marek, I'd take Rich's advice, it's wise.

Kato

tateuts
02-21-2004, 01:42 PM
Marek,

I switched to a Predator and I like it a lot. Yes, it feels different, but it's well suited to my game.

I think they are great for power shots. I was having a hard time finding longer shafts (I use a 30" shaft) that are stiff enough for me. I shoot a lot of hold shots and power shots, and it gives me a better line and more cue ball control - so I can really fire away when I need too. They are a very stiff shaft. I also have one on my break cue too and like it a lot. The tip is 12.75 because of the taper but I think the shaft is 13mm.

Chris

Sid_Vicious
02-22-2004, 01:56 PM
I hit with several of CeeBee's cues at SPetty's that party night, one worked really well and I noticed it had a less-than 13mm ferulle, played really well! I don't plan on looking for a smaller tip area, and yet that one cue did produce for me. I also own a 314 shaft, enjoy the cue a lot but favor the 13mm shafted cues I own. I don't know what all this means except that the reduced tip area certainly doesn't hurt, maybe even helps in my game...sid

JPB
02-22-2004, 02:25 PM
A smaller tip wil let you put more english on the ball and get farther from centerball with precision. This is also the downside, you can get more spin when you don't want to. This is why break cues have big tips and billiards cues have small ones. Pool cues tend to be in the middle. I think you can lose control w/ too small a tip, and not be able to put good spin on the ball with a big one. I don't think there is going to be a massive difference betwwen pool tips in the 12.5 and 13 mm. range. There is a big difference between 12 and 13.5 overall tho.

kenz54
02-22-2004, 08:28 PM
Marek
The business end of the cue is the shaft. Some companies like Schuler Cues give you 10 shafts to choose from all with different properties. It is well explained on their web site. I use a Shuler Pro shaft which is stiffer than a regular shaft and is 12.75mm. I like the control. Hope this helps.

Iceman
02-22-2004, 08:57 PM
Marek, Hi. I believe there's alot more to a shaft then it's "Diameter". The hit for each cue is different, even from day to day. I played years not caring about what it was that made my cue and it's parts different. Just find what "you" like and trust it. Like Yogy said "NINTY PERCENT OF THIS GAME IS HALF MENTAL!!!" There is some truth to that, even though he was talking about baseball, it does hit home for me!

rocky
02-23-2004, 03:49 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote marek:</font><hr> If i really decide to go for the predator i ll take that trial session you recommend. <hr /></blockquote>

a tril session witha predator shaft is not going to do you any good. Most people require 2-3 months of playing with one before they start to see the results they want, it requires changing your whole shot esp with alot of english.

houstondan
02-24-2004, 11:45 AM
a trial session with a predator shaft is not going to do you any good. Most people require 2-3 months of playing with one before they start to see the results they want, it requires changing your whole shot esp with alot of english. <hr /></blockquote>

disagree. it's not generally that extreme. in my case and in my opinion, a couple of hours of solid shooting should give you a good idea whether it's going to work for you. the difference (improvement?) shows the most as you add power to the shots. some people take to it well and some don't. it's about that simple.

dan

rocky
02-24-2004, 01:57 PM
some people take to it fast Dan, but a predator shaft requires a whole different "line" when aiming. Somone who has naturally compensated over the years for deflection will take alot more than a couple of hours to get used to it.

marek
02-25-2004, 08:37 AM
hi rocky!
just yesterday I had an opportunity to shoot with predator cue for about 15 minutes (unfortunatelly different joint so I couldnt try the shaft itself on my cue) and it felt great for me! I liked especially the hit and no deflection at all! As I dont use extreme english on my shots (max 1 tip off the center) it was quite easy to adapt to the expanded ability to shoot shots more off the center. On the other hand I was shooting well anyway yesterday no matter the cue..I would probably run out even with hockey stick as I won a little 8ball tourney here with overall score 18:4 BTW I have made 11 runouts on my way to victory.... /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

cheesemouse
02-25-2004, 09:39 AM
Marek,

Being an advanced player like you are I think you could make the transition to the 314 shaft without a noticeable drop in your level of play. One of the benefits of the 314 type shaft is the ease of replacement value. I have been playing with these shafts for over three years now and as an example of what I'm getting at...just recently I went to a tournament and I had packed my old traditional shafts instead of my 314's by mistake( I'm a little driftey sometimes...LOL ).....anyways, it took me about five minutes to find a guy who had a 314 shaft with the correct screw for my playing cues butt and after about three shots it was just like playing with my own shafts...my point being, you loose the fear of snapping or having a unique shaft stolen....if you play the 314's they are easlily replaced with another and with no re-learning curve.....

RonMont
02-25-2004, 09:41 PM
Hi Marek, just a couple of points on smaller shafts. First one advantage of say, a 12mm shaft is that it will give the same amount of spin but with less deflection.
This occurs because the cueball can be hit closer to the center for a given amount of spin (spin equal to a larger tip).

Judging a smaller shaft is not a simple matter. This is because the balance and feel of a shaft depends mostly on the amount of spine and its taper rather than the size of the tip.

I have been using a 12mm shaft with large spine and a short taper (10"). This produces a very stiff hit (yes, much stiffer than a Predator shaft). One advantage is less slipping on the cueball during the initial hit. Some players (the ones on my teams anyway) don't get consistent
spin even though they are hitting the same point on the cueball. The smaller tip "digs in" on the cueball better and more consistently.

The last point is a 12mm tip and reasonable spine will produce more power for a given hit.

Wally_in_Cincy
02-26-2004, 09:22 AM
Ron Montgomery ?????

RonMont
02-26-2004, 05:37 PM
Yes

Frank_Glenn
02-26-2004, 06:43 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote RonMont:</font><hr> Yes <hr /></blockquote>
Hey Ron, it was good seeing you and your wife at Todd's the other day.

RonMont
02-27-2004, 11:23 AM
Well, we come out of the woodwork every now and then. I just had cataract surgery on Monday. I hope my game will be more consistent now. I have had a lot of problems with the dominant eye which in my case is the left eye. When down over the ball the right eye sometimes takes charge and as a result I hit a little to the left of center. I will be able to start practicing again on Saturday and hopefully things will be normal again.
It wqs good seeing you again,
Best, Ron.

Wally_in_Cincy
02-27-2004, 11:44 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote RonMont:</font><hr> Yes <hr /></blockquote>

Only reason I asked was I remember you from the "old" CCB. Hope you are doing well.

houstondan
02-27-2004, 12:32 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote RonMont:</font><hr> I have had a lot of problems with the dominant eye which in my case is the left eye. When down over the ball the right eye sometimes takes charge and as a result I hit a little to the left of center. Best, Ron. <hr /></blockquote>

maybe i'm not that crazy after all. you're the first person i've ever heard with the same problem as mine. left eye dominant but in the final stroke i can sometimes feel it shift to the right eye. like they're arguing about who is right. ..er correct, that is. mostly got it beat with practice, head tilt and dicipline but it still comes up.

dan

soupy
02-27-2004, 12:40 PM
[ QUOTE ]
mostly got it beat with practice, head tilt and dicipline but it still comes up.
<hr /></blockquote>

Can you explain this? Does tilting your head shift the dominant eye?

Maybe I'll wear an eyepatch to play one day soon and see what happens.

02-29-2004, 09:12 AM
buying a predator shaft, is like asking, how is cancer? stay away from it! use a 13 mm tip, and keep your accuracy!

houstondan
02-29-2004, 10:04 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote soupy:</font><hr> &lt;/font&gt;&lt;blockquote&gt;&lt;font class="small"&gt;Quote:&lt;/font&gt;&lt;hr /&gt;
mostly got it beat with practice, head tilt and dicipline but it still comes up.
<hr /></blockquote>

Can you explain this? Does tilting your head shift the dominant eye?

Maybe I'll wear an eyepatch to play one day soon and see what happens. <hr /></blockquote>

no, tilting is just a way to emphasize it to myself, if that makes any sense. your dominant eye is what it is. i've never heard of it changing. thought about the eye patch myself. let me know how it goes. a lot of the wrist-twisting on the execution stroke is about not trusting your aim and with some people, at least with me, it's the right eye trying to take over. probably the best lesson i ever had involved setting up the whole shot and stance from the left side in the squared-up or gunfighter stance. i'm on my way to a tourney and this is probably a good reminder for me.

dan