PDA

View Full Version : What a week ( Bad Luck Vs Good) long

Chris Cass
02-22-2004, 01:34 PM
Hi Everyone,

Well let me start off with my Britney post. Heide wasn't thrilled with it to say the least. I was only kidding. She said, that wasn't funny. Then, Fri night I'm at the pool hall. It's slammed and I was lucky enough to get a table and hit some balls. I was hit'em pretty good but was bored so, I noticed my co-worker playing Cribbage with a regular and although I don't know how to play they told me to join them.

I said, I would and put my cue and jacket behind the counter. I told them give me a minute to use the facilities. We have two such places for men. One with all stand-up jobers and one with two sit downs. I went to the sit down.

The one has a stall with a broken lock. It seems they can't keep one on there. These maniack kids have something against doors. LOL Anyway, I've been telling the boss to fix the lock before I do.

The stall with the lock was taken so, I went to the other. Now, everyone seem to walk in on me and quickly back out with apology's. No problem. That nite I get myself situated and sure enough, a guy busts through the door and goes to pewk on me. Thank God he seen me in there and was able to try to control it. He couldn't and turned quickly but still got my shirt and part of my bare leg.

I freaked, I said after looking to what I thought was blood on my leg and said, please tell me this isn't blood. As the guy was getting it out in the trash can he's telling me no. I get done and walk out the stall and he's at the end of his business and was extremely apologetic.

I can't get mad because it was a normal reaction and the guy was sober, kinda. He said it was his birthday and his friends bought him a shot. I said, a shot doesn't look like blood and he said, no but I had pizza earlier. More info than I needed. Over

So, I take off my shirt and go up to the counter, to join the boys. Of course I was wearing a T-shirt. Now, the guys teach me how to play this Cribbage game. I get all the way to the end before them and get caught in what they refered to as the, Stink Hole. Well, I don't like this name at all. Then, they both pass me before I can put my cards down and they say I've been just, Double Skunked. I don't like that either. Great.

Now, yesterday. My friend calls me up to go to this $5. tourney race to two eightball. This is a two table tourney that could and most likely last forever. He told me that we have a partners game easy there if the tourney doesn't happen. So, I went.

Not a whole lot of players but real potentual partners action there. I played the tourney and found myself in the hot seat, waiting. Well, the guy comes over to play me and I win the toss. I break and the balls spread out and I come up dry. The guy runs out. Now, he breaks and makes 2 balls runs out. Great, he has to beat me twice.

I win the toss and again, come up dry. Again he runs out. Now, he breaks and finally I get a shot. I run out. Now, it's 1-1 and I break and the balls don't fall. The guy runs down to the third ball and he miscues and double hits the damm cb and leaves me safe. I look over to my friend and ask him if he saw the foul? The guy gets in my face and says, don't ask anyone anything. It's between me and you and he doesn't care what anyone says. You got a problem then, take it up with me. I told him I didn't know what rules you play by but when you double hit the cb it's a foul. He says, I miscued and no foul. I said, fine. $5. isn't worth the agravation. IMO He runs out. He wins and I come second. I win $20. he wins $30. third place gets $5. in this 11 man tourney.

Now, this old guy asks him to play some $5. partners doubles. The winner asks me to be his partner and I look over and my friend is playing someone for doe on the other table so I, reluctantly agreed. The guy now shots lights out and runs a 3 pack then snaps the 8 in and scratches.

One other set of quarters and were up again. We take both opponents money and ended up like $40. ahead each. Everyone quits but this one hard head and he wants to play my partner. I say, go for it. My partner says to me, put up your quarters and I looked. /ccboard/images/graemlins/confused.gif So, I did. At the end of the nite. I took not only both the hard heads money but my opponents tourney money too. LOL The guy at the bar asked as I was leaving, did you just hustle those guys? I said, hustle? no. They just ran into a buzzsaw. LOL

Regards,

C.C.~~reduced to a $5. bar player.... /ccboard/images/graemlins/frown.gif for $5. it paid 19 times my money back. Net of course. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Ralph S.
02-22-2004, 01:53 PM
Well Cassman, atleast you have money to replace the shirt from the night before, if you wish to do so. /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Sid_Vicious
02-22-2004, 02:13 PM
Coulda been worse...at least the guy didn't pull a Cheech & Chong, ice cream squat on ya, YUK! :-0

Dagwood
02-22-2004, 02:55 PM
what a different mental image from the last C.C. post...

I think I might have to run to the bathroom, but for an entirely different reason.

Dags - shivers...

Barbara
02-22-2004, 02:56 PM
Un-freaking believable!!!

I'd like to hang a week with you, but I don't think I could stand all the "excitement"! /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Barbara

Chris Cass
02-22-2004, 03:16 PM
Hi Barbara,

I guarentee if you hung with me for one week, your sides would be sore from laughing for about a mth. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif I stopped in the hall Sat morning, to pick up my bosses vcr for repair. Something on the side that I do to pass the time. My boss and a few other workers were at the counter laughing. I walked up and said, hi and asked what they were laughing about? They said they were laughing about what happened to me the nite before. I said, wow, that got around pretty quick. Then, I asked, so you think that's funny huh? Then, they all laughed even harder. They somehow, like me there?

Regards,

C.C.

dg-in-centralpa
02-22-2004, 03:33 PM
What would it be like if they hated you?

DG - inquiring minds want to know

Sid_Vicious
02-22-2004, 03:43 PM
"What would it be like if they hated you?"

The astuteness of that statement after all of CC's rendetions certainly makes one wonder. Funny DG!!!sid

Tom_In_Cincy
02-22-2004, 11:43 PM
Now I really believe that the "CassMAN" has recovered and is BACK.

Great story Chris, well part of it was.

I remember a stink a few years back when you just spilled a drink.. how things change /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Chris Cass
02-23-2004, 05:28 AM
Tom,

That wasn't my fault. /ccboard/images/graemlins/blush.gif BTW, what did Sid say? LOL No, I'm far from back but I'm working on it. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Regards,

C.C.

Chris Cass
02-23-2004, 05:30 AM
They'd give me more hrs. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Regards,

C.C.~~ /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Chris Cass
02-23-2004, 05:36 AM
Hi Ralph,

Auh yes, now I remembered why I don't don't shoot in bars. Also, why I should carry an umbrella. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

Lol,

C.C.

SpiderMan
02-23-2004, 04:19 PM
That's nasty - I've never been puked on, but it does remind me of a story.

It was in the early '80s and I was visiting friends for the holiday week back in Memphis. We were at a place on east Brooks Rd called the "18-Wheeler Lounge", where my friend Danny played bass in the band on Friday and Saturday nights.

It was a BYOB bar, where you bought setups for a dollar and poured your own whiskey. Many of the patrons got so drunk they couldn't get off their stools, and some just peed in their pants rather than try.

The 18-wheeler never closed, so I don't think they ever cleaned anything. Once I watched the bartender turn on the "Fry Daddy" machine for the first time in an evening, and as the grease heated up probably 20 cockroaches escaped from the top.

The johns there were nasty, at least on the men's side, so nasty that when you went to take a leak you tried to hyperventilate outside and then hold your breath until you finished. If you dropped a dollar on the floor, you probably wouldn't pick it up. Maybe a five.

The worst possible thing that could happen would be to need to crap in the 18-wheeler. Normally I would go out back in the trees, like a bear in the woods, but that night it was freezing cold and raining so I decided to take my chances.

It was after midnight and disgusting in there already, but I really wasn't prepared to meet an old man, blind staggering drunk, on his knees in the one toilet stall, face half in the bowl, puking his guts out. You mentioned pizza, it looked to be raining pizza from both his mouth and nose, but then it might have been blood also. Never can tell with those old drunks. Man, it would have made me puke just to have my head that close to the 18-wheeler's toilet.

Anyway, I'm standing there squeezing my cheeks together, not really knowing what to say, so I just said "are you alright?". The old guy looked up at me, didn't say anything, then turned back to the bowl and reached his hand in. He swirled around in the muck, came up with something too familiar, knocked it a couple of times against his pants leg, and made some kind of sucking noise as he put his front teeth back in.

SpiderMan

Dagwood
02-23-2004, 04:31 PM

such an enlightening story....I think I'm going to go relieve my stomach of what I had for lunch now....

Dags

Chris Cass
02-24-2004, 02:07 AM
Great to hear from you again Marty,

Now look what you've gone and done to Dags. Maybe you should have warmed up to him with the chalk holder story. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Regards,

C.C.~~why would anyone ever give a liciense to sell food to a place like that? liqiuor however will make normal people eat abnormal food at abnormal places. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

SpiderMan
02-24-2004, 11:02 AM
Chris,

I doubt they had a food license, since they didn't have a grill or a kitchen. They sold chips and stuff, and made corn dogs and fries in the fry daddy.

It was in a rough industrial neighborhood, only neighbors being warehouses, a run-down roller rink, the teamster's union hall, a liquor store, and River City Billiards. Tom in Cincy (formerly Memphis) probably remembers what a rough joint that was around the late '70s.

SpiderMan

Voodoo Daddy
02-24-2004, 11:47 AM
This is from Sunday to Monday, starting with some plumbing leaks that recently started down on my neighbor below me...The HD puked BOTH shocks <couldnt be my girth, could it?> and the lower bowl started pissin' gas at our last stop of the day <lucky me>. Then my van left my g/f's mom and kid stranded in front of the school, forcing me to go to Firestone only to find out that there isnt anything wrong with it <yeah, right>. Last but not least we sat down to eat, I took a bit of my steak and half a tooth broke off right in it!!! At 11 PM I had the plumbing fixed, the van right and the bike 85% fixed and a broken tooth...what a 48 hours!!

Voodoo~~~wishes someone would stop stickin pins in their Steve Doll before Friday...BIKE WEEK starts Saturday /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Wally_in_Cincy
02-24-2004, 12:32 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote SpiderMan:</font><hr>
...Many of the patrons got so drunk they couldn't get off their stools, and some just peed in their pants rather than try....<hr /></blockquote>

Now that's DRUNK !!

Spiderman,

That was a truly disgusting story but it was also one that just begged to be told /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

A local talk show host, Mike McConnell (he has a national show on Saturday and I drank beers with him once at a Reds game, but I digress) was making fun of something he saw in the newspaper. The paper was giving advice on holiday drinking and one of the pieces of advice was <font color="blue">"Take out your false teeth before you begin drinking in case you throw up"</font color>.

Mike said "Who plans in advance to get puking drunk?" /ccboard/images/graemlins/confused.gif

"Hey grandpa, why are you taking your teeth out?"

"Johnny, Grandpa's fixin' to get hammered" /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Anyway there must have been 30 people who called in with stories of throwing up and losing their teeth. It was amazing.

SPetty
02-24-2004, 12:34 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Chris Cass:</font><hr>Maybe you should have warmed up to him with the chalk holder story. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif<hr /></blockquote> Found it! (http://www.billiardsdigest.com/ccboard/showthreaded.php?Cat=&amp;Board=ccbboard&amp;Number=24161&amp; page=&amp;view=&amp;sb=&amp;o=)

A very funny story by The World's Unluckiest Pool Player.

Chris Cass
02-24-2004, 06:05 PM
Well Voodoo,

The way I see it, your good for atleast a yr. I'm willing to bet that, you'll be getting some good luck soon. It seems that's the way it goes. My best to all.

Regards,

C.C.~~adopted brother of the voodoo clan. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Rod
02-24-2004, 07:20 PM
Chris,

Anytime someone barfs on me it can't be a good day. Some of the places we go! At least you won a few bucks, that makes it a little better. /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Rod

Sid_Vicious
02-24-2004, 08:24 PM
Too bad you didn't own a digital camera back then. Wiley would have lost it at lunch if you had a pic of that!!!sid

SpiderMan
02-25-2004, 09:56 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote SPetty:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote Chris Cass:</font><hr>Maybe you should have warmed up to him with the chalk holder story. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif<hr /></blockquote> Found it! (http://www.billiardsdigest.com/ccboard/showthreaded.php?Cat=&amp;Board=ccbboard&amp;Number=24161&amp; page=&amp;view=&amp;sb=&amp;o=)

A very funny story by The World's Unluckiest Pool Player. <hr /></blockquote>

Actually, my bad luck soon turned to good luck! Several weeks later, a very good friend here on the board ran into David Jacoby and sent me an identical replacement! I'm very careful around toilets now.

SpiderMan

Chris Cass
02-25-2004, 10:15 AM
Hi Rod,

Yes, I did get lucky but it reminded me of what I've given up long ago. That's the bar scene. I don't condem anyone from playing bar pool. I did quite a bit myself. Sure I've even went as far as using my hand bridges to help me pull a few in.

I want more than that, now days. It's not about money, even though I do like the stuff. I want to get recognition. I want to play players that others fear. I want to play the top of the circuit(sp). I mean the best players, the best and most presteiges events. The events I've dreamed of playing. Like the U.S.Open, DCC, The Glass City Open,. Just to name a few. I don't know? Maybe dreams are just that. So far though, I've got 1 down. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif Did I mention meet the greatest people in the business? V.F. bound soon. YIPPY.... /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Bad or Good, luck is only a way of looking at it. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Regards,

C.C.~~wants to play some with Rod. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif RandyG., Scott Lee, dddd, #### Leonard, Spidey, Sid, OPC, SPetty, Nick, nAzie, Wally, Carol, Barbara, Fran, M.M., Rich, RIP(Bigtime), Jon from Mn., Ralph, Duke, Barry Szamboti, Tom from Cincy, Ross, Kato, Fred A., take some money from JimmyB. he's loaded /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif, The "Cheesemouse", Ken K., SPetty, Eg8er, PATRICK to test his micro-fibers or something like that., dOwntown, can't name them all but Voodoo, holds the ace. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Chris Cass
02-25-2004, 10:19 AM
Thanks Marty,

Actually, it has strings attatched. LOL I need help with my digital camera. It seems I can't take a picture of a cue that resembles the clearity that the photos I've seem posted here. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Regards,

C.C.~~maybe, the bottons are set wrong?

Voodoo Daddy
02-25-2004, 10:35 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Chris Cass:</font><hr>Regards,

C.C.~~wants to play some with Rod. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif RandyG., Scott Lee, dddd, #### Leonard, Spidey, Sid, OPC, SPetty, Nick, nAzie, Wally, Carol, Barbara, Fran, M.M., Rich, RIP(Bigtime), Jon from Mn., Ralph, Duke, Barry Szamboti, Tom from Cincy, Ross, Kato, Fred A., take some money from JimmyB. he's loaded /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif, The "Cheesemouse", Ken K., SPetty, Eg8er, PATRICK to test his micro-fibers or something like that., dOwntown, can't name them all but Voodoo, holds the ace. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif <hr /></blockquote>

ACE? Of clubs maybe, or is that gettin clubbed? I dunno but I wanna play anyone some, just because!!

Voodoo~~~cant hit the end rail but will try for the right reason

Kato
02-25-2004, 10:43 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Chris Cass:</font><hr>C.C.~~wants to play some with Rod. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif RandyG., Scott Lee, dddd, #### Leonard, Spidey, Sid, OPC, SPetty, Nick, nAzie, Wally, Carol, Barbara, Fran, M.M., Rich, RIP(Bigtime), Jon from Mn., Ralph, Duke, Barry Szamboti, Tom from Cincy, Ross, Kato, Fred A., take some money from JimmyB. he's loaded /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif, The "Cheesemouse", Ken K., SPetty, Eg8er, PATRICK to test his micro-fibers or something like that., dOwntown, can't name them all but Voodoo, holds the ace. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif<hr /></blockquote>

I knew you were scared to play me!!!!!!! I just knew it /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Kato~~~whew............dodged that bullet /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Voodoo Daddy
02-25-2004, 10:54 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Kato:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote Chris Cass:</font><hr>C.C.~~wants to play some with Rod. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif RandyG., Scott Lee, dddd, #### Leonard, Spidey, Sid, OPC, SPetty, Nick, nAzie, Wally, Carol, Barbara, Fran, M.M., Rich, RIP(Bigtime), Jon from Mn., Ralph, Duke, Barry Szamboti, Tom from Cincy, Ross, Kato, Fred A., take some money from JimmyB. he's loaded /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif, The "Cheesemouse", Ken K., SPetty, Eg8er, PATRICK to test his micro-fibers or something like that., dOwntown, can't name them all but Voodoo, holds the ace. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif<hr /></blockquote>

I knew you were scared to play me!!!!!!! I just knew it /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Kato~~~whew............dodged that bullet /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif <hr /></blockquote>

Your in there bubba...no runnin from CC

Voodoo~~~points crooked finger and laughs

SpiderMan
02-25-2004, 11:00 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Chris Cass:</font><hr> It seems I can't take a picture of a cue that resembles the clearity that the photos I've seem posted here. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif
<hr /></blockquote>

Chris,

First, let's just check the basics - If you're doing a closeup, is the "macro" mode of your camera on? Also, select a small aperture to increase focus depth-of-field. This helps get "all" of the subject in focus despite varying distance from the camera. You will probably have to go to a slower shutter speed to get enough exposure with the smaller aperture, which then means you will need a very steady hand or use a tripod (preferred).

Second, make sure the light is right. For me, that usually means setting up close lights from both sides (about 45 degrees off from the line of the camera's view) and playing with them to get both sides of the subject illuminated evenly without shadows. Usually no flash, as that just invites glare off the shiny surfaces and shadows where you least need them. You may need to manually set the white balance on your camera to get the color looking right. I use strong incandescent lighting and set the WB to match.

Finally, if you still seem to have focus issues, use manual focus or move the background away a little. If you lay the cue directly on a background, your autofocus camera may try to focus on the background. You'll know this happened if your cue is a little blurry but you can clearly see the threads in cloth background, etc. Move the background away a little to force the camera to select the cue for focus.

Good luck! Above all, try a lot of variations to discover what works best for your camera and facilities.

BTW, you can actually get good pictures just by pointing the camera and pushing the button, but a little care and preparation will make them much better.

SpiderMan

Chris Cass
02-25-2004, 11:19 AM
Hey Voodoo,

Yes, the ace of clubs. However, we could just hang. Either way, spending the day would be kinda nice.

Regards,

C.C.

Chris Cass
02-25-2004, 11:24 AM
Hi Marty,

Yep, you found one of my mistakes so far. I'll try to get this thing down and let you know when I get it togather. Thanks buddy.

Regards,

C.C.~~ /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Kato
02-25-2004, 11:58 AM
Aw man /ccboard/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Kato~~~~needs to learn how to read /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif