PDA

View Full Version : Being Protective For A New Cue

Sid_Vicious
02-22-2004, 02:10 PM
I helped a friend buy a new cue yesterday, not a ton of cash but a fine cue none the less, bought as a gift for a pool table warming party. Well there were many kids there, and the new cue ended up quickly in hands of those not so careful, and yes, there was bruises put on the pristine cue. It was all I could do to resist being pushy about restricting the use of the cue, also tough watching the cue leaned precariously where anyone there could run into it, but I did good, I didn't poke my nose into family goings-ons. Still it kept me unsettled all the while wondering how much damage the cue was going to take over time with that attitude.

You think I could have done differently and been tactful at the same time? My gut feeling is that this nice cue is in danger, but not my personal business even though I was instrumental in buying the cue. You ever have these squeamish emotions over someone else's' new cue???sid

Dagwood
02-22-2004, 02:47 PM
I have those emotions anytime I see anyone abusing ANY pool equipment. (especially on the rare occasion that I am the abuser...then it is REAL bad). As far as cues go, and being protective of them, I'm usually of the mind that if it's that person's cue, whether I had a hand or some say in the purchase, then whatever happens to the cue up to them, and out of my hands. If they don't know proper cue care, but seem to be wanting to know, then I'll inform them. But I had to learn the hard way what NOT to do with a cue. Unfortunately, that's usually the best way to learn, by one's mistakes. (One of my first lessons though was a demonstration by my friend that in the Pool Cue vs. Corner of Concrete Building match-up, the building always wins, no matter how expensice the cue. In this case a $700 Orchid. A waste.) If you feel that you have some obligation to the welfare of the cue, then I would maybe suggest something to him. Make it seem like it's his idea, and there won't be any hard feelings. just in case he feels you are getting condescending. Hope this helps some.

Dags

Popcorn
02-22-2004, 03:11 PM
I would have taken it away from them. Small damage to a cue is often there there for good. No apology can undo a big ding in the butt. I never lone a cue I care about and in the same respect would never ask to borrow a cue. I was playing at a tournament and Mike Massey Came over and picked up my cue that was laying on the table to show some power draw shots. I saw it from across the room and came running over and got it away from him, I could not believe it. Later someone standing there told me the cue had a huge bow in it when he hit the shot. I don't like anyone touching my cue.

tgscordv6
02-22-2004, 03:42 PM
There is absolutely nothing wrong with being a little protective of a cue. I do not let anyone use mine except a couple of my close friends.

Sid_Vicious
02-22-2004, 03:48 PM
One thing that gets me is when I let a player hit with my cue, say after a new Moori install or something, whom I've known for quite a while and trusted, and then the guy uses the shaft to gather the ball when he misses. I never, except for ferulle contact only, gather a ball with my shaft. That act is not the end of the world, and yet it makes me cringe...sid

Candyman
02-22-2004, 04:56 PM
I saw a cue being abused just last night. A buddy's girl friend popped the shaft on the end rail a couple of time after bad shots. She was in contention for a tournament win. She ended up 2nd. I know the cue was a Christmas gift from my buddy. I looked at him and he just shook his head. He never said a word. Human emotions are strange sometimes and that is the reason I don't share my cue.

Dagwood
02-22-2004, 05:41 PM
I still stand by what I said above, but in regards to other people using my cue, I have a zero tolerance for abuse. The first instance of lack of caring, or awareness that they aren't shooting with their own personal cue, I take it from them. Obviously, the don't have the wherewithall to shoot with someone else's property. Lack of respect. Otherwise, it's just hurts the senses a little when I see a nice cue, or any cue for that matter, (aside from a cuetech...I find it funny when people whack those around all over the place!), being abused.

Dags

tateuts
02-22-2004, 10:08 PM
I know exactly what you mean. The last party we had, one of my $400 table lamp's alabaster shades was shattered by a wild cue stick and I couldn't find a replacement, so I ended up buying a new lamp.

The only people who I let use anything but house cues are decent pool players. They intuitively know how to avoid objects (most of the time) with cues and are not too likely to ruin a stick.

The problem we deal with is lack of knowledge. So I think it's up to us to educate people. Except for pool players, who would guess that a spilled drink on my table might rack me up a $500 charge to replace my Simonis? That the lamp was $400? Or that tripping over that $2000 cue on the chair might just be the end of it?

Chris

stickman
02-22-2004, 10:55 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Sid_Vicious:</font><hr> You ever have these squeamish emotions over someone else's' new cue???sid <hr /></blockquote>

Of course!!! I sold a young man my old Viking about a week ago. It was in pristine condition. I had just replaced the ferrule with a IvorX ferrule and put on a red fiber pad and Talisman Pro Med. tip. I gave him a good lecture about caring about the stick. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif I even gave him a new micro-fiber towel to keep it clean. I'll tell him, if I see him misusing or abusing it. I wouldn't have sold it to him, if I thought he wouldn't take care of it.

Jim

Ralph S.
02-22-2004, 11:04 PM
I think that the biggest reason for abuse tends to be because inexperienced players are not taught how to care fir a cue. Many simply see a cue as "stick". Many also dont realize how soft some of the woods used in making a cue are.

hadenball
02-23-2004, 12:52 AM
I have had 2 friends abuse cues I made for them. One guy kept banging the cue on the table after he chalked up, the shaft had at least 50 dings in it.

Another friend would drill the chalk so the dust would get all over the shaft. I showed him how to chalk it right and cleaned it for him, easy since I seal the shaft and the chalk came right off. The last time I saw him it was all nice and clean.
One guy I made a sneaky pete for let his girl friend use it and she dropped it on the floor. He went over and picked it up then when it was her shot he pointed to the wall rack and said there's one over there you can use.LMAO!!!!!
My wife didn't use my schon once in 17 years that I owned it and never complained about it. Some people don't get the idea of wanting to keep your stuff in one piece, I learned a long time ago not to loan my cue out!!!!! haden

Popcorn
02-23-2004, 01:42 AM
What do you think of those ferrules?

dmgwalsh
02-23-2004, 04:45 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Candyman:</font><hr> I saw a cue being abused just last night. A buddy's girl friend popped the shaft on the end rail a couple of time after bad shots. <hr /></blockquote>

I had some friends over to break in my new pool table last year. We had a few beers and were just playing 8 ball partners. I let a couple of the guys use my new viking vm-13. Damned if one of them didn't do the same thing whe he missed a shot. Then his brother smacked my vm-26 down on the table later. These guys use house cues now.

Chris Cass
02-23-2004, 06:24 AM
Hi Ralph,

Seems to me they treat everything in their life the same way. With no regard for the value of a buck. Me personally am like Popcorn. I don't let anyone hit with my cue nor do I use theirs. Ask Tom, He wanted to let me try his cue out. His new Omen. I told him I thought it was sharp but he insisted I took a shot with it. I did because I didn't want to insult him and it hit great. I felt awkward the whole time. With my cues I think about the down time of getting it back to 100% if something should happen to it. I also, don't want to lay that responsibility on someone to bare the cost of one ding in mine. You know I would need a wrap and refinish because I'm such an perfectionist when it comes to my stuff. I've suffered mentally for weeks over what some would concider just a battle scar. I need professional help. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

Regards,

C.C.~~likes the way Tom treats his friends. Happy to be one of them. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

stickman
02-23-2004, 07:02 AM
I like them! They polish nicely, resist scratches, and chalk is easily wiped off. They are resistant to scratches, but not impervious to scratches. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif I intentionally tried to scratch mine by scraping the chalk against the ferrule. I was successful, but it took some work. The hit is also good to me.

cheesemouse
02-23-2004, 08:55 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Chris Cass:</font><hr> Hi Ralph,

Seems to me they treat everything in their life the same way. With no regard for the value of a buck. Me personally am like Popcorn. I don't let anyone hit with my cue nor do I use theirs. Ask Tom, He wanted to let me try his cue out. His new Omen. I told him I thought it was sharp but he insisted I took a shot with it. I did because I didn't want to insult him and it hit great. I felt awkward the whole time. With my cues I think about the down time of getting it back to 100% if something should happen to it. I also, don't want to lay that responsibility on someone to bare the cost of one ding in mine. You know I would need a wrap and refinish because I'm such an perfectionist when it comes to my stuff. I've suffered mentally for weeks over what some would concider just a battle scar. I need professional help. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

Regards,

C.C.~~likes the way Tom treats his friends. Happy to be one of them. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif <hr /></blockquote>

I'm now like you guys, very protective of my shafts. I say "now" because I didn't use to be that way. I used to have one cue whose maker I didn't even know. I didn't even have a case for it, I used a wide rubber band. I didn't have one gaget or even know they existed. I can't remember ever doing a thing to it except changing a tip every two or three years. I used it to break and play with it never having a concern in the world about it except where did I leave it this time....ahhhhh the good old days.

Then I got a home table 18 years ago and befriended a guy who's nickname is "Mr Gaget". The first thing he did was condition my shaft. I got use to a nice smooth shaft, now I can't stand any imperfection....I'm not so sure that is a good thing as it is such a hassle and a mental land mind...

I hold you guys responsible for giving me too much information and making me crazy....LOL /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

c.holtz009
02-23-2004, 09:02 AM
Here's a good one. A good friend of mine was up playing on Saturday, late in the afternoon. At the same time he was there, a team of 10 year old hockey kids were there. It seems the GM of the place has cut a deal with one of the coaches (who just happens to be the Molson rep) to let these kids come in and play pool some Saturday afternoons for free.
Well, my friend leaves his cue on the table to answer nature's call, and when he gets back, it's gone.
Now, his cue isn't greatly expensive, (about $400) but he takes very good care of it.
He scanned the room quickly, and sure enough, one of the little buggers had come over and taken his chalk holder and cue, and was banging balls with it.
After he got it back, there were a couple of dings in the shaft, and the butt has two dings, and the finish is chipped where they are.
Needless to say, he is PISSED.
I am going to have a talk with the GM today to ask him if it is policy for young children to play in there unsupervised, and tell him what happened.
You'd look kinda stupid taking your cue to the washroom with you, and in a place like this, you shouldn't have to.

Any good advice on how to safely remove these dings in the shaft without hurting the Predator shaft?

Popcorn
02-23-2004, 09:08 AM
What would you compare them to? Are they a linen type phenolic? Where did you order them from? Thanks.

moblsv
02-23-2004, 09:23 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Sid_Vicious:</font><hr> and then the guy uses the shaft to gather the ball when he misses. I never, except for ferulle contact only, gather a ball with my shaft. That act is not the end of the world, and yet it makes me cringe...sid <hr /></blockquote>

I literally hide all but the house cues from one friend. He has the bad habit of chalking the cue and the smacking the shaft across the edge of the table before every shot. I assume he thinks he's knocking off excessive dust. I'm cringing just thinking about it.

dooziexx
02-23-2004, 09:44 AM
Im protective over my cues only and I only have certain people that I trust handle them. What others do to their cues, well if they were cheapies being thrown around, I wouldnt care but if it were higher end cues, I would pity the cue....

Ralph S.
02-23-2004, 10:09 AM
I too am very particular about my cues. I let one of my friends borrow one of mine, since he had forgotten his at home. This was the last time I ever loaned one again. We were just casually playing and drinking some beer one night. He missed a very simple duck shot a blind man couldve made. Well, he lost his temper due to the beer, and threw my $500.00 McDermott onto the floor rather angrily. The cue just happened to bounce off a chair leg, causing unrepairable damage to the shaft. He reimbursed me the cost of a replacement shaft, but I had about two months of down time. Hard way to learn a lesson, but I learned it.

Wally_in_Cincy
02-23-2004, 10:24 AM
All my friends are pool players so when they come to my house they bring their own /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

The last time I loaned a cue was 3 years ago, to a girl on an APA ladies team. And as luck would have it she smacked it on the rail a couple of times in frustration, leaving dings. Fortunately it was only a race to 2 so I got it back pretty quick.

Since then I have never loaned a cue. I have had folks get their feelings hurt but that's just too bad. They get over it.

Sid, sorry I didn't answer your question /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

stickman
02-23-2004, 11:23 AM
I'm pretty sure it is a thermoset material. The standard soft fiber ferrules are junk. (scratch easily, holds chalk, and in general are hard to care for.) The Aegis ferrules are much better, (a thermoset ferrule with the same characteristics of the Ivor-X) but in my opinion are just a little bit better yet. The Aegis is pure white in color, with the Ivor-X having a very, very slight ivory tint.

http://www.fivestarbilliards.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&amp;Product_Code=ivor-x&amp;Category_Code=parts&amp;Product_Count=0

Kato
02-23-2004, 11:37 AM
No one uses my Omen unless I have complete confidence in them. Certainly not in a match, maybe for a shot or 2. My Blackheart is a different story. I promised Jerry that any good player I ran across I'd let hit with it. I'm still particular about who I let hit with it but I do keep my promises and keep an eye out.

Kato

Frank_Glenn
02-23-2004, 12:00 PM
[ QUOTE ]
You'd look kinda stupid taking your cue to the washroom with you, and in a place like this, you shouldn't have to.
<hr /></blockquote>

I tke mine, they grow legs and leave if you are not careful. YMMV

Popcorn
02-23-2004, 12:24 PM
It looks in the picture like it could be melamine (sp). I don't think anyone has developed it, it is probably just a stock item they have given their own name to. I buy Linen Melamine Rod from a supplier for around $4.00 a foot. I know a guy that sells it on his web site, (from the same supplier), for $3.50 a ferrule using a name he invented and they are just slugs, not even drilled. That is $42.00 a foot, with a cost of $4.00 a foot, not a bad mark up by just knowing where to buy the stuff. I am going to order some IvorX though to see what they are, I am curious, maybe they are something new. thanks

SpiderMan
02-23-2004, 03:04 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote c.holtz009:</font><hr> Well, my friend leaves his cue on the table to answer nature's call, and when he gets back, it's gone.
He scanned the room quickly, and sure enough, one of the little buggers had come over and taken his chalk holder and cue, and was banging balls with it.
After he got it back, there were a couple of dings in the shaft, and the butt has two dings, and the finish is You'd look kinda stupid taking your cue to the washroom with you, and in a place like this, you shouldn't have to.
<hr /></blockquote>

I always take my cue to the john, and feel pretty smart for doing it! I even took it to the john at PettyPoint a couple of weekends ago. It's just a good habit, like locking your car when you go into a convenience store.

SpiderMan

SpiderMan
02-23-2004, 03:09 PM
Popcorn,

Where do you buy the rod, and do they have tube? I've had problems in the past drilling some materials without getting hairline cracks.

SpiderMan

SpiderMan
02-23-2004, 03:11 PM
Letting someone else use your cue is like letting them wear your underwear. Even if they don't get it dirty, it will never feel quite the same.

SpiderMan

Barbara
02-23-2004, 03:21 PM
When I played regularly in my bar league, I would put my custom away after each game I played. I would never leave it out or lean it against the wall.

I still did the same when I got my S/P.

Barbara~~~has seen some bar room horrors...

bigshooter
02-23-2004, 03:26 PM
I went to a state amateur tournament 17 years ago and Jimmy Rempe was there to do a few trick shots and then the players got to challenge him and he told my friend and I that he left his cue on a table at an exhibition and turned around to visit and a lady grabbed it up and was twirling it like a baton when he turned around, he got it back without damage but the lady about fainted when he told her it was his custom made Meucci with real diamonds in it and was valued at about $10'000.
Would have been fun to have seen the expression on her face.
And another time I was in a dive bar that I used to frequent and I leaned my Joss up against the wall and while I wasn't looking some drunk put his high back chair up against my cue pinning it against the wall at a goofy angle and was sitting in the chair with his full weight against it bending it severely right about at the joint.
I almost got in a fight because without thinking I jerked the guy out of the chair out of sheer panic to get my cue from behind him.
I don't drink anymore but your going to get sloshed don't take your good cues! /ccboard/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

Sid_Vicious
02-23-2004, 03:27 PM
Show you how habitual I am, I take the wall stick I am playing with to the john upon those times that I am "personally cueless" and using house equipment....sid

Sid_Vicious
02-23-2004, 03:28 PM
Are you sure this is not simply Ivorine material, labeled with a nifty name for resale???sid

rocky
02-23-2004, 03:32 PM
People who are not obsessed with the game of pool like I am, lol. Dont understand that a cue is a personal thing, plus they dont realize that you dont want your $1,000 cues smacked on the table or anywhere for that matter!

stickman
02-23-2004, 04:26 PM
If you find out what it is, please share the information. /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif

I drill the threads out for the non threaded tenons. I drill them one drill size at a time up to 5/16s. I don't know if it is necessary, but suspect that it might be best. I would be curious to know how difficult it would be to drill and thread solid rod.

Popcorn
02-23-2004, 05:13 PM
I remember reading someone saying they had trouble drilling ferrules sometime back. One trick you can do is to make a tiny boring tool. This is easy to do by grinding the tip off a drill bit and grinding a small relief behind the tip. The heat comes from the build up of the drilled material and no where for it to go. also the rest of of the bit is rubbing on the inside of the hole. A regular twist bit forces it's self in, that is why it is splitting on you. I just tried to take a picture showing a way to grind the bit so you can just drill with no problem, but the batteries are dead. I will post it later. Another thing when you grind down the drill bit is you drill a flat bottom hole which is good when making a capped ferrule. Check later and I will take those pictures. Trust me, it only takes a couple of minutes to make a ferrule and it won't split.

Fleece3
02-23-2004, 05:36 PM
I am also VERY protective of my cue. However, I did have one lapse. My good friend (and all around POOL GOD!!) Hit with my Lucasi/Predator shaft. He really liked it and asked if he could use the shaft the next day for league play. Although nervous I agreed. He had to pick it up on the way to the Pool Hall, and I picked it up at the pool hall from him after I got off work.

I was well, but I will never do it again!!

P.S. a week later he bought a predator shaft of his own

SpiderMan
02-23-2004, 05:59 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Sid_Vicious:</font><hr> Are you sure this is not simply Ivorine material, labeled with a nifty name for resale???sid <hr /></blockquote>

If it is, at $4 a foot I'm fine with it.

SpiderMan

bigalerickson
02-29-2004, 10:31 PM
Picture this - New cue arrives on Monday morning via Fed-Ex.

Wednesday night I come home, and my roomates girlfriend is playing with MY cue. She couldn't hold the thing strait much less shoot strait. I walk in on this, and all but grab the cue from her.

End Result - The shaft has two dings on it, that really effect the shafts feel, especially if they end up on the lower side when I am going through my stroke.

Any recomendations on repairing this what seems to be a minor problem? I've never used more than a dollar bill and the occasional scotch pad for maintenance. A new shaft will run my roomate more than he can afford, so im hoping there is an alternative solution out there.

Any comments are welcome.

Its now kept under lock and key, along with my personal chalk supply.

Peace,

Alex

tateuts
03-01-2004, 12:23 AM
Sounds like they're in the uncoated part of the shaft. These guys all have different ways that avoid sandpaper altogether. I don't worry about it that much. I would just use little hot water droplets in the dings and let them soak in until hopefully the grain raises as much as it will. Then I would sand with 400 dry (circled around the whole shaft) just a few brisk strokes at a time until you can't feel the ding at all. Then when you know it's flat, switch to 600 then finish it off with 1000. Burnish it with a supermarket brown paper bag (which seals it up).

Chris

Rod
03-01-2004, 10:56 AM
Hi AL,

I'll tell you what I do now. Get a Qtip and dunk it in some water. remove excess water so it is just damp. Place the Qtip on the ding and hold a hot Iron on it for for a few seconds. Repeat as necessary, you may have to re-wet the tip. The hot water in the heated tip expands the ding out. You should go to ACE or an Auto body paint store and buy some 1000, 1500 and 2000 grit paper to smooth the shaft. I only use 2000 on my shaft but sometimes 1000 or even 800 when I work on friends or a customers shaft. Remember the more coarse the paper the more wood it takes off. I burnish with the back side of the paper.

I use to hit it with a steam Iron only but it swells a larger area. Sometimes I still do if a shaft has a ton of dings. Then I tell the person stop being a club-ass and take care of your equipment. /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Rod

tateuts
03-01-2004, 11:25 AM
Rod,

I like your cue tip and steam iron idea.

The other thing I've been doing to help keep the shafts smooth longer, is to raise the grain with a damp cloth, let it dry then sand lightly with 1000, then raise it again and sand with 1000 and burnish. What this does is keeps the shafts smoother longer because surface moisture from humidity and your hands will not raise the grain again. This is an old woodworking trick when you want to use a water based stain without raising the grain. Sanding with 1000 also helps seal the pores.

Chris

Rod
03-01-2004, 12:01 PM
Chris,

I guess my shaft wood use to be expanded quite a bit. I'd just pump it with some shots of stem from an Iron up and down the shaft. Then I tried just an iron with the steam trickling out. That works pretty good. Ironing my shaft. LOL

One thing I forgot to mention is I always wipe it off with some denatured alchol first. It really does take out a lot of chalk color( not a big deal to me) but it also takes off any hand oils which help seal the shaft. It's much easier to expand wood when it is clean.

That sort of goes along with your idea of a damp cloth. I've never done that but next time I clean my shafts maybe I'll give it a try. The only thing I don't like is sand paper on a shaft but sometimes it is necessary. My shafts (all four of them) are near the same size as when new over 8 years ago. I have so many shafts so that none see a lot of wear. There was a thread about why should I have more than one shaft a few times. Well that is one reason, the dings, a tip blows off, a ferrule splits, different size or shaft taper, say if you play snooker or billiards and last but not the least IMO, the wear.

Rod