PDA

View Full Version : Sledgehammer cues patent (pending)...

Dagwood
02-23-2004, 12:02 AM
I was wondering if anyone here knows what in particular Mike Gulyassy is patenting on his Sledgehammer break cues. Is it the tip itself, or is it the manner in which it is installed? I talked to my cue guy earlier tonight, and he said it was the latter, but I had heard otherwise before. Just looking for some clarification. Thanks guys.

Dags

Cueless Joey
02-23-2004, 12:37 AM
It is the one-piece canvas phenolic ferrule, domed a little on top. It has NO tip. Phenolic tips are common and can be put on a hard LBM ferrule and it'd still break hard.
Eddie Prewitt years ago made a jump cue called Eddie's 747 with the same canvas phenolic ferrule and was illegalized by BCA ( supposedly).

Rich R.
02-23-2004, 04:46 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Cueless Joey:</font><hr>Eddie Prewitt years ago made a jump cue called Eddie's 747 with the same canvas phenolic ferrule and was illegalized by BCA ( supposedly). <hr /></blockquote>
It is only within the last year or two, that the BCA has determined that the Sledgehammer and other cues with phenolic tips are legal.

BTW, you are correct that the one piece ferrule/tip combination, on the Sledgehammer, is the item that is "patent pending."

Cueless Joey
02-23-2004, 10:26 AM
Supposedly, the phenolic ferrule dings cueballs.
It's just a matter of time before pool hall owners ban them. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Rich R.
02-23-2004, 10:57 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Cueless Joey:</font><hr> Supposedly, the phenolic ferrule dings cueballs.
It's just a matter of time before pool hall owners ban them. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif <hr /></blockquote>
I have never heard that before and I have never seen any evidence of that.

Jay
02-23-2004, 11:33 AM
I dont know if it was this site or maybe azbilliards.com where there was a thread with an actual link to the sledgehammer patent. It was pretty wordy and I couldnt make sense of it but it is pretty neat to see. Try to do a search on it at both sites.

jjinfla
02-24-2004, 08:04 AM
Dr. Cue, Tom Rossman, has a jump cue with what looks like a plastic ferrule/tip and it works very well for him in his shows but he says itis not allowed in competition.

I wonder if that is the same tip?

Jake

SpiderMan
02-24-2004, 10:24 AM
If the one-piece ferrule/tip has, as Joey notes, been previously used and in the public domain, it will be a weak patent if issued.

SpiderMan (been through all that several times)

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Rich R.:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote Cueless Joey:</font><hr>Eddie Prewitt years ago made a jump cue called Eddie's 747 with the same canvas phenolic ferrule and was illegalized by BCA ( supposedly). <hr /></blockquote>
It is only within the last year or two, that the BCA has determined that the Sledgehammer and other cues with phenolic tips are legal.

BTW, you are correct that the one piece ferrule/tip combination, on the Sledgehammer, is the item that is "patent pending." <hr /></blockquote>