PDA

View Full Version : Advise on buying a cue... What's needed?

armandito
02-23-2004, 12:03 AM
I'm ready to buy a cue, I have never owned one, and am tired of playing with any cue. From previous posts I have decided that I'll stop by the Pechauer factory/store and take advantage of their (up to 50%) discount.
From reading through the archives I've found that most own two shafts per cue. Can anyone explain why? Also, do I also need to buy a break cue, or a jump cue? What should I look for?
I plan on spending $200-$400, maybe more, and was wondering if I need to purchase a case right away...

thanks

tgscordv6
02-23-2004, 12:32 AM
You may want to look into custom cues if your budget is around $200-400. I heard a lot of great things about Jacoby (www.jacobycue.com) and Arnot (www.arnotq.com) cues. The purpose of having 2 shafts is a backup plan in case a tip flies off or what not. Others prefer to have different brand of shafts. Jump and break cues are good investments if you are serious about the game. I would strongly recommend getting a bigger case (2x3, 2x4).

Rich R.
02-23-2004, 05:02 AM
Pechauer makes an excellent cue and, considering your 50% discount, I'm sure you can find one you like.

Having a break cue is nice, but you can always use a house cue to break, so it is not a "must have".

At some point in the future, you may want to consider a jump cue, but that can wait until you get better at keeping the balls on the table. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

A case is a must.
Either get a small, inexpensive, case now, to protect your single cue, or plan for the future and buy a larger, better quality, case.

Wally_in_Cincy
02-23-2004, 07:51 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote armandito:</font><hr> ...I have decided that I'll stop by the Pechauer factory/store and take advantage of their (up to 50%) discount.

<font color="blue">I think that is a good idea. </font color>

From reading through the archives I've found that most own two shafts per cue. Can anyone explain why?

<font color="blue">Get 2 shafts. You won't be sorry. If you have to send one shaft off for re-tipping you will have a spare. </font color>

...was wondering if I need to purchase a case right away...

<font color="blue">Definitely. Like Rich R. said you don't need the most expensive case but you need something to protect the cue. </font color>

<hr /></blockquote>

Kato
02-23-2004, 08:07 AM
Good call on Pechauer. Have fun with it. Don't settle.

Kato

dooziexx
02-23-2004, 10:23 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote armandito:</font><hr> I'm ready to buy a cue, I have never owned one, and am tired of playing with any cue. From previous posts I have decided that I'll stop by the Pechauer factory/store and take advantage of their (up to 50%) discount.
From reading through the archives I've found that most own two shafts per cue. Can anyone explain why? Also, do I also need to buy a break cue, or a jump cue? What should I look for?
I plan on spending $200-$400, maybe more, and was wondering if I need to purchase a case right away...

thanks <hr /></blockquote>

2 Shafts if you can afford is a must. Use the other while one is being retipped. I do my own retipping and I rotate the usage of my shafts. I do that so that I can have equal playing time on both shafts.

A break cue is a must too, imo, unless you want to use your playing cue to break. Breaking with your playing cue tends to flatten the tip out faster, hence you have to reshape the tip more often. Also I like to keep the tip on my break cue flatter than the usual nickel or dime radius to reduce the amount of spin I put on the break.

Alex_Delodge
02-28-2004, 01:10 PM
Go here:

http://www.epinions.com/content_122551570052

Everything you ever wanted to know about what to look for in a cue (skip past the opening book review).

Sid_Vicious
02-29-2004, 08:47 AM
I've altered my thinking on some of these things, so here are my today's thoughts. Two shafts aren't necessary, but it does add value to a custom cue to have two. The re-tipping issue is not a bad phylosophy for having a spare shaft, and yet the layered tips today keep their shape plus last a long time, so having a second shaft is still a moot point with me. I do my own tips also, so take my opinion with a little reservation. The break cue is also not necessary at this time, house cues break just fine. Jump cues are my newest fetish with the game though, and you can get a good jumper from $50-$100. The jumper isn't necessary though for a first time buyer, but you can never learn jumping too early(well maybe you can.) Remember this, just because it's a jump cue doesn't mean it will jump well. Avoid the Frog cue with a passion, look at getting either the Bungee of maybe a Lucasi, both bargains and hop great.

Have you hit with a Pechauer to know you like the hit? Also, does this factory discount reflect a discount equal to the price you can get the same cue for on the internet? A 50% discount on a RETAIL cue is like a discount on diamond jewlery, the markup is sometimes 100% to start with, so you should at least cross reference the web before getting too excited about the factory bargain.

I personally don't like the soft hit I've found in Pechauer cues. Finding someone with a bargain in a used custom would be my avenue, and hitting with it to know it makes balls for me would be the clincher. You can easily buy a new, untried cue and never get a good feeling for it. I have found that the Lucasi play cues all play great, and I'm talking about every one of the ones I've hit with, no exceptions. Buying one untried is a no-brainer IMO.

Whatever you get, do case it up, don't saw and pick and twiddle with the tip all the time. Tip installers love those who eat away at their tips like that, good for their business. Seriously, chalk and a proper stroke is the key, not having to maintain a coarse grip, void of all shinyness on the tip, "been there, done that." I get lots of arguement with that statement, they're all wrong of course ;-) Good luck...sid~~~did I say, do not buy a tip pick...I should have

KGeeED
02-29-2004, 10:13 PM
Here is an Omega cue, jump cue and an Instroke case for $500 or buy it now at $575 http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&amp;item=3663753535&amp;ssPageName= ADME:B:SS:US:1

tito
03-01-2004, 11:08 AM
Hi Armandito, you´ve got a Spanish name: Armando-Armandito.

I know that J. Pechauer it´s a really good cue, in Spain are too expensive about 900-1500 $ a good pechauer. I don´t know how much it´s in Greem bay but if you buy this cue to play I recommend to buy a jump-break cue too, there are a lot goods cues of jump-break, I saw Jim Davis or Cuetec in a spanish web:

http://www.billarnet.com/comercio/secciones/subfamilia.asp?ft=1&amp;fa=12&amp;sfa=14&amp;n=Break%20Jump

Like tgscordv6 I recommend to get a bigger case, I´ve got ( 4x4) and in that web you can see some models, you can have an idea about what you really need.

Actually I´ve got two cues, a Cuetec to break and a Joss to play like Ralf Souquet. In april I´m going to buy a jump cue like you can see in that web.

I hope that my information can help you, and please sorry for my English.

See U

armandito
03-01-2004, 02:37 PM
Tito:
Claro que es en Español, Armando Martinez es mi nombre. Soy Mexicano de nacimiento, vivo en Estados Unidos actualmente. Gracias por los comentarios y voy a investigar. En que parte de España vives? He visitado la mayoria de España debido al trabajo (soy operador de tours).

Saludos...

armandito
03-01-2004, 02:54 PM
Thanks for all the replies. I haven't had a chance to visit the Pechauer factory, but will do so hopefully next week.
From reading all the information I came up with a couple more questions:
-Does anybody know how much (30%, 40%, more or less) would an extra shaft be, if purchased with the cue?
-About how much does it cost to have a shaft re-tipped?
-Would you recommend carrying one of my own cues for breaking, or using a house cue?

To Sid: I have not played with a Pechauer cue, but I did hold one a couple of months ago, and I liked the balance and feel. Regarding the pricing, yes, I have looked at their MSRP's, since they have them posted on their website, and have also looked around online, not only on Ebay, but online retailers. Bargaining power....

thanks.

Wally_in_Cincy
03-02-2004, 07:42 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote armandito:</font><hr> -Does anybody know how much (30%, 40%, more or less) would an extra shaft be, if purchased with the cue?

<font color="blue">$70-$80 </font color>

-About how much does it cost to have a shaft re-tipped?

<font color="blue">$10 for a regular tip. More for laminated tips. </font color>

-Would you recommend carrying one of my own cues for breaking, or using a house cue?

<font color="blue"> either one. doesn't matter that much. I break with a $44 J&amp;J sneaky pete. works for me. </font color>

To Sid: I have not played with a Pechauer cue, but I did hold one a couple of months ago, and I liked the balance and feel.

<font color="blue">Hit some balls with it before you decide. </font color> <hr /></blockquote>

tito
03-02-2004, 08:31 AM
Hola Armando, joder, que alivio tener que hablar en español o castellano, como prefieras, el caso es poder hablar asi, es que el inglés como que es más coñazo, sobre todo con palabras técnicas entorno al pool etc...

vivo en las islas canarias, en las palmas exactamente. tengo un colega que tiene una novia mexicana, se conocieron por internet. que edad tienes y cuanto tiempo llevas con ésto del pool?, yo tengo 27 y hace años que juego pero en serio llevo unos 2 años por ahi. bueno, espero poder hablar mas contigo. te dejo par de paginas españolas de pool para que les eches un vistazo:

www.confederacionpool.com (http://www.confederacionpool.com)

www.madpool.com (http://www.madpool.com)

www.billarnet.com (http://www.billarnet.com)

En fin tio, ya nos vemos, un saludo.

Chris Cass
03-02-2004, 10:10 AM
tito,

Me no savey nada. I've been to Spain but only for 5 nites and 6 days. Lorret DeMar, beautiful place. Population, like 25,000. High season 100,000 people partying. Still unable to read Spanish.

Regards,

C.C.~~the brits are crazy. LOL

tito
03-02-2004, 11:03 AM
Hi Chris, you go to Barcelona, good place, yes. I live in Canary Island, goods beachs, good sun and of course goods girls, jejejeje, well.

I hope I would read U again, bye.

Bob_Jewett
03-03-2004, 04:29 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Alex_Delodge:</font><hr>
Everything you ever wanted to know about what to look for in a cue (skip past the opening book review). <hr /></blockquote>
The problem with that review is to filter out the parts that are either false or bad advice. I think it might be good exercise for each reader here to look at that URL for at least two things that are wrong.

bigalerickson
03-03-2004, 05:52 PM
Is this a regular deal to someone who just walks in or calls ahead? Or do you have a good connection?

thanks,

alex

Alex_Delodge
03-03-2004, 11:04 PM
[ QUOTE ]
The problem with that review is to filter out the parts that are either false or bad advice. I think it might be good exercise for each reader here to look at that URL for at least two things that are wrong. (Bob Jewett<hr /></blockquote>

Hey Bob. Since your an expert, I'm sure your right about what is wrong with that review but I just read it and I didn't see it. So what is wrong?

Frank_Glenn
03-03-2004, 11:35 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Bob_Jewett:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote Alex_Delodge:</font><hr>
Everything you ever wanted to know about what to look for in a cue (skip past the opening book review). <hr /></blockquote>
The problem with that review is to filter out the parts that are either false or bad advice. I think it might be good exercise for each reader here to look at that URL for at least two things that are wrong. <hr /></blockquote>

Yes, I see several problems with the _review_. I suspect the section on deflection made you cringe. I'm not sure I agree with the "balance" part either. I have both the 1st &amp; 2nd editions, and will most likely get the 3rd edition of the Blue Book. I find them useful, and fun to look at, but not the end all buying guide we had hoped for. They are a good source of contact and background on cuemakers, and helpful to know what a particular "production" cue sold for new.

armandito
03-04-2004, 01:45 AM
Yes, it's a deal for everybody. Their website is pechauer.com, but the website where you'll find the 50% off info is ccqbilliards.com. It used to just be called "Custom Cues", but it was renamed within the last year to "Custom Cues and Quality Billiards" (hence the web address).

Tito,
Desafortunadamente no he podido ir a las islas, pero si conozco varias ciudades, incluyendo por supuesto Madrid y Barcelona, he realizado viajes que me han llevado tanto al sur hasta Torremolinos como al norte hasta San Sebastian. Creo que deberias poner un "post" en la seccion de comentarios generales preguntando quien habla espanol. Hay un usuario que es de Puerto Rico, asi que asumo que cuando menos somos tres. Mi principal problema fue cambiar de carambola al pool cuando me mude a los EEUU, pero afortunadamente he podido practicar mucho ya que trabaje en un bar por varios anios.
Saludos y espero estes bien.

Bob_Jewett
03-04-2004, 11:30 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Alex_Delodge:</font><hr> Hey Bob. Since your an expert, I'm sure your right about what is wrong with that review but I just read it and I didn't see it. So what is wrong? <hr /></blockquote>

If you start believing experts just because people say they are, you're ready to be led down the primrose path to depravity, destruction and degradation. And not just at pool.

Length: "stay with 57" -- better to experiment with what is right for you, including 55 to 61.

In the discussion of squirt, there are several muddy passages, but I was startled to see:

"But when you hit a ball hard with english, the cue ball may arrive a foot from where you aimed."

No normal shaft I've ever seen has this much squirt.

The test for squirt given is an old one that is subject to polution by swerve. I think it is much better to measure the cue's "pivot point" which gives a relatively reliable numerical measure of how much the stick squirts. Also, so far as I can tell, the pivot point is unrelated to the speed of the shot.

It fails to state the most important point about squirt: You must play with a stick that has the amount of squirt you are used to, or you must not use side spin with an unfamiliar stick.

I think that perfect appearance of shaft wood is unimportant. I don't know of any test that has shown that perfectly clear rock maple is better than wood with visible markings. Consider this: the players who make by far the most money at cue sports and who shoot the straightest seek out cues with shafts with very, very visible dark grain. Those are snooker players, and they use ash shafts. When was the last time you say any cue maker offering ash shafts?

There are "Walmart cue"s that are perfectly playable with a little work, but it's hard to find them. If you can find such a $30 cue -- perhaps with the help of someone who knows what they're doing -- it will be fine, and perhaps best, for a first personal cue. The problem is that most $30 cues are, as stated in the review, junk.

"You can easily spend $10,000 on a cue if you like and have the funds. There is nothing wrong with buying a cue for over $2,000, but the law of diminishing returns applies. You won't get much more playability for your dollar."

I would go much further than this. I've shot with $5000 and $100,000 cues that I would consider unusable compared to a $20 stick I found (and fixed up) from Sportsmart. It is possible to spend either $30 or $5000 on a piece of junk.

And a minor nit: I don't much like anonymous messages.