PDA

View Full Version : Cloth Cleaner

larriaga
02-23-2004, 07:42 PM
Has anyone used Quick Clean? If so is it good and ok for your table? If not, what's the best why to maintain your cloth clean?

Tom_In_Cincy
02-24-2004, 12:30 AM
I've been using it for the last two weeks.

Hard Times Billiards has a tournament room with 8 Brunswick Gold Crowns with brand new Somonis 860.

I clean the tables prior to each Sunday 9 ball tournament and the players have really noticed how GREEN the cloth is only a month after they were all recovered.

I also clean the Finals Table just prior to the last match. The players are still amazed at how quickly the chalk and power are removed and that the table is immediately ready for play.

I know I sound like a commercial, but I am sold on this product.

houstondan
02-24-2004, 01:01 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Tom_In_Cincy:</font><hr> I've been using it for the last two weeks.

Hard Times Billiards has a tournament room with 8 Brunswick Gold Crowns with brand new Somonis 860.

I clean the tables prior to each Sunday 9 ball tournament and the players have really noticed how GREEN the cloth is only a month after they were all recovered.

I also clean the Finals Table just prior to the last match. The players are still amazed at how quickly the chalk and power are removed and that the table is immediately ready for play.

I know I sound like a commercial, but I am sold on this product. <hr /></blockquote>

well, coming from you, now i'm interested. what's the stuff about and how do they avoid a build-up issue? how do you use it??

dan...always use clear water and not a lot of that...damp towel.

Frank_Glenn
02-24-2004, 03:38 AM
There is no build up because it evaporates. See www.quick-clean.com (http://www.quick-clean.com) for more info. It is basically a dry cleaner for the table cloth.

Paul_Mon
02-24-2004, 09:46 AM
Tom,

Can you answer this? My table has always been regularly vacuumed and I never use my dust cover unless there's a woodworking project going on nearby. I chalk over the table, set my chalk on the rails without regard to which end is up, use my stick to get the chalk over to my side of the table. In general I don't do anything to reduce the amount of chalk or dust that my cloth has seen. I'm a slob. My bridge hand is filthy when I'm done playing. Will Quick Clean work on my table? After one use will my hand be clean after a session? TIA

Paul Mon

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Tom_In_Cincy:</font><hr> I've been using it for the last two weeks.

I know I sound like a commercial, but I am sold on this product. <hr /></blockquote>

Perk
02-24-2004, 09:58 AM
So, I am interested in hearing how you use this product. Do you have to buy the wiper for it to work? Or does the cleaner itself work with any towel? Seems a bit pricey. How many uses does one can provide? Thanks for any input.

houstondan
02-24-2004, 10:22 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Paul_Mon:</font><hr> Tom,

Can you answer this? My table has always been regularly vacuumed and I never use my dust cover unless there's a woodworking project going on nearby. I chalk over the table, set my chalk on the rails without regard to which end is up, use my stick to get the chalk over to my side of the table. In general I don't do anything to reduce the amount of chalk or dust that my cloth has seen. I'm a slob. My bridge hand is filthy when I'm done playing. Will Quick Clean work on my table? After one use will my hand be clean after a session? TIA

Paul Mon

paul, you've described my slobbishness almost exactly except that i do put the chalk face up on the rails. the add says something about "emulsifying" as though it reaches down and pulls the dust up to the surface where it can be wiped off. no way. the table will still have to be vacuumed pretty well or the chalk is going to accumulate under the cloth.

having said that, it still looks like it might be a useful product.

dan

Frank_Glenn
02-24-2004, 10:44 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Perk:</font><hr> So, I am interested in hearing how you use this product. Do you have to buy the wiper for it to work? Or does the cleaner itself work with any towel? Seems a bit pricey. How many uses does one can provide? Thanks for any input. <hr /></blockquote>

The wiper makes it easy and fast to clean a lot of tables. Homeowners seem to like them, so they are for sale. The product will work with any towel or cloth. Lint free for best results (unless you like lint on the table). Old T-shirts work well. Originally we were using T-shirt rags from Lowe's and then we found the Micro-Fiber towels. They worked so much better, we started to sell them, then we started to use the Wiper (we sometimes clean 30 or 40 tables at some of the shows, and the Wiper IS the way to go for this). Quick-Clean will have a booth at the Valley Forge show, come by and see how it works.

ladybilliards
02-24-2004, 12:47 PM
I bought this product last year, a few months after getting my Olhausen with blue simonis. I love Quick Clean, before I was using the brush. The brush just "brushes" the dirt in but Quick Clean takes it off. I spray it on and wipe it off with a lint free white cloth. That's it! I bought two bottles, still on the first one. I don't use it after every game, maybe once a week. I also keep the plastic cover on all the time.

lb

Tom_In_Cincy
02-24-2004, 02:07 PM
HDJ

No build up issue to avoid.

I use it by following the instructions on each can.

A damp towel is how the house cleans the tables (twice a day) the problem with that was that the people that were doing the cleaning were not changing the towel often enough. Thus spreading the dirt and chalk around from table to table. This has been corrected.

Vaccuuming and brushing is still the most common method.

But, when you want to extend the 'freshly installed' cloth charactoristics, QuickClean does the job.

I got the brush and micro-fiber cloth attachment and I can do 8 tables in about 10 minutes.

sandgnat
02-24-2004, 05:07 PM
I had read the posts regarding using Quick Clean at this forum in earlier threads, but still wanted to hear what Simonis had to say about it. Here is my question and their response:

[ QUOTE ]
My email to them:
Regarding cleaning Simonis 860: Is "QuickClean" approporiate to use? Just brushing? What does Simonis recommend for longest life of fabric? Thanks!

Their response:
Cleaning Simonis cloth is very easy. First of all you need to use a soft billiard brush for getting rid of chalk and debris from the table. You can brush it towards either end of the table or toward the pockets. Use a very hsp hand held vac similar to a dustbuster but without any brush attachments.

If you have a liquid spill, dab it up right away. Because of the tight weave of the cloth, it shouldn’t penatrate into the cloth or stain. Use a damp soft cloth in this process with water only.

If you do get a stain that won’t come out, you can call a local dry cleaner to see what they might recommend.

Please let me know if you have any other questions concerning this matter.

Thank you,
Felice Enright
Iwan Simonis, Inc.
<hr /></blockquote>

They kind of dodged the first part of my question. I am having the new Simonis 860 installed on Saturday and have only a little more time to decide. If I decide to try the Quick Clean, is it better to start right away as oppposed to using the brush and vacuum method for a while first?

Frank_Glenn
02-24-2004, 05:36 PM
[ QUOTE ]
They kind of dodged the first part of my question. I am having the new Simonis 860 installed on Saturday and have only a little more time to decide. If I decide to try the Quick Clean, is it better to start right away as oppposed to using the brush and vacuum method for a while first? <hr /></blockquote>

Well, Quick-Clean will make the cloth last longer, so I don't know if they will ever endorse that /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif. Start with the Quick-Clean and you will keep the cloth new looking and shooting right from the start. If you want an endorsment ask the guys at Diamond, they seem to like it.

houstondan
02-24-2004, 05:57 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Frank_Glenn:</font><hr> &lt;/font&gt;&lt;blockquote&gt;&lt;font class="small"&gt;Quote:&lt;/font&gt;&lt;hr /&gt;
They kind of dodged the first part of my question. I am having the new Simonis 860 installed on Saturday and have only a little more time to decide. If I decide to try the Quick Clean, is it better to start right away as oppposed to using the brush and vacuum method for a while first? <hr /></blockquote>

Well, Quick-Clean will make the cloth last longer, so I don't know if they will ever endorse that /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif. Start with the Quick-Clean and you will keep the cloth new looking and shooting right from the start. If you want an endorsment ask the guys at Diamond, they seem to like it.
<hr /></blockquote>

yea, well, commercial interests notwithstanding, it's still a surface polish/cleaner and the cloth still needs a good going over with a vacuum on a regular basis. i'm not a fan of brushing in any case since all it does is push the dust under the rails or up in the air.

as to extending the life, clean cloth will last longer since the grit is not eating at the fibers.

sorry, no offense, but i'm not ready to believe simonis is afraid of this product hurting their sales.

is quick clean a hydrocarbon? a distillate? what's the long-term effect on the nylon portion of the simonis fibers?

dan

woody_968
02-24-2004, 06:06 PM
Sand - if you are having new cloth installed might I suggest you keep a scrap piece of the cloth to break off of? I started doing this on mine and it has kept the break areas in much better condition /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Paul_Mon
02-25-2004, 08:24 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Frank_Glenn:</font><hr> [Quick-Clean will have a booth at the Valley Forge show, come by and see how it works. <hr /></blockquote>

I'll stop by Frank. Maybe I need a bottle of Quick Clean, new cloth and cleanliness training.

Paul Mon

stickman
02-25-2004, 10:19 AM
I clean the tables every Saturday prior to opening. We have eight Valley Cougars and play tournaments every Sat. I spend about two to two and a half hours cleaning the tables and polishing the balls. I don't get in a hurry and drink lots of coffee in the process. /ccboard/images/graemlins/cool.gif After thouroughly vacuuming, I mist the tables with window cleaner, and wipe with a large automotive type car wash spounge. I previously used rags, but had problems occassionally with lint from the rags. We pickup a lot of dirt with the cleaner, and the cleaner evaporates quickly. I have used this method for about a year, and haven't experienced any problems with it. I don't doubt that Quick Clean is a good product, but I have to question the economical use. I buy window cleaner at the discount store for $1 a bottle, and use about 1/2 bottle to do the tables. It only costs about 50 cents a week. I have checked out the ads and only noticed the small aerosol cans available. I wonder if in the future, they will make an ecomony size pump spray bottle available. I would try it out, if the owner will buy it. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Tom_In_Cincy
02-25-2004, 10:46 AM
Stickman,

I've also heard that Woolite works pretty good. Dries quickly and is economical.

Quick Clean is also very handy for those accidental stains from spilled drinks.

hadenball
02-25-2004, 01:24 PM
Yeah Tom I didn't think about woolite for the table cloth, I've been using it for 10 years to clean Irish linen wraps on mine &amp; others cues. haden

sandgnat
02-25-2004, 02:06 PM
Wouldn't Woolite leave a buildup eventually? It just seems to me that it might leave a bit of a sticky residue if not rinsed off in some manner. I assume you haven'y experienced this though, since you say you have no problems with it. I like the Windex idea, as I doubt that it would leave any significant residue.

houstondan
02-25-2004, 03:32 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote sandgnat:</font><hr> I like the Windex idea, as I doubt that it would leave any significant residue. <hr /></blockquote>

windex works real well but the problem is that, for the first couple of days, it is as fast as brand new, and i mean first-day, cloth. real slippery. balls go in very easily and the banks are very long since the balls slide off the rails with absolutely no grab.

dan

sandgnat
02-25-2004, 08:02 PM
Arghhhhhhh! Maybe I won't clean the table at all! /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

kyhogan
02-26-2004, 09:09 PM
Keep it covered except when in use! There is no such thing as no chemical residue. Even water will leave a residue. I would use a product like that only in the case of a liquid spill.

#### leonard
02-27-2004, 07:18 AM
My break cloth of choice is a dollar bill, much stronger and it keeps the cueball from launching off the pad.####

Frank_Glenn
02-27-2004, 07:52 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote #### leonard:</font><hr> My break cloth of choice is a dollar bill, much stronger and it keeps the cueball from launching off the pad.#### <hr /></blockquote>

What a good idea! I have some paper money from my Navy days from odd places. Not worth much, but now I have a unique use for it. Thanks.

RUNaRAK
03-01-2004, 11:01 AM
Last weekend I was shopping at Walmart and came across "Dri Clean" upholstery cleaner made by blue coral. It says that it lifts up the dirt from the carpet or upholstery and wipes clean.
I am always looking for a good product at a good price and bought a can to try out on my pool table. I sprayed it on lightly and wiped it off with a micro fibre cloth and the table looked great. It pulled nearly all of the chalk from the bed of the table and revived the color as well.
I have a very nice Olhausen and Simonis cloth and it in no way marked up the table.
Much cheaper than other products on the market and I have tried them too. They are 5 times the price. The can only cost me $2.88 at Walmart.
Just thought I would share my find with others that struggle with keeping their table clean too. Works great for me! /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif