PDA

View Full Version : 9ball Rules question

Fleece3
02-24-2004, 04:57 AM
Ok try this one,

Tonight I was playing a friend. I dropped the one on the brake. Having no shot on the two, I chose a safety. IT WAS GREAT!!! Not only would he have had to go 4 rails to get to it, but I also left a DEAD ON 2, 9 combo. Hand in hand would have ended the game. Instead of trying the hit, he simply stroked the two, breaking up the combo and said "ball in hand to you" Let me make sure I am clear. his tip hit the 2, NOT THE CUE BALL. He shoot the 2 like it was the CB. Is this simply ball in hand or something greater?

jjinfla
02-24-2004, 05:55 AM
He didn't take a shot. If you can't replace the balls to where they were then it would be a concession on his part. The same as if he just raked the balls with his cue stick.

At least that is my impression. I didn't bother to look up any specific rules.

Jake

MarkUrsel
02-24-2004, 06:20 AM
I've actually seen this in a tournament. The TD ruled it as if it was a concession, giving the other player that game and the next game. I agree that it's about the same as raking the balls with your cue and that it's a way of conceding the game.

The TD did find a rule in the BCA rulebook that applied to the situation, but he had to pull out the full rulebook, not the pocket one, because the pocket rulebook didn't have the appropriate section. Fred? Help? /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Might be covered under Rule 2.19: Illegally Causing Ball to Move, which is a loss of game or match. Alternatively, it might also be covered under 3.21 - Fouls By Touching Balls, which would mean ball in hand and the balls restored to their positions as closely as possible.

I still think it's at least a game concession.

Fred Agnir
02-24-2004, 07:55 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote MarkUrsel:</font><hr>
The TD did find a rule in the BCA rulebook that applied to the situation, but he had to pull out the full rulebook, not the pocket one, because the pocket rulebook didn't have the appropriate section. Fred? Help? /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Might be covered under Rule 2.19: Illegally Causing Ball to Move, which is a loss of game or match<hr /></blockquote>I'd go with this one as well. Loss of game by Rule 2.19.

Fred

Troy
02-24-2004, 09:09 AM
IMO the shooter could have called a push-out and accomplished the same break-up of the 1-9 combo legally.

Troy

houstondan
02-24-2004, 09:11 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Fred Agnir:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote MarkUrsel:</font><hr>

Might be covered under Rule 2.19: Illegally Causing Ball to Move, which is a loss of game or match<hr /></blockquote>I'd go with this one as well. Loss of game by Rule 2.19.

Fred <hr /></blockquote>

that's probably a good ruling. i was going to use unsportsmanlike which they also refer to in the rule. i'd probably take the game and put him on warning for the match.

dan

Ralph S.
02-24-2004, 05:46 PM
Plain and simple, this concession. Loss of game.