PDA

View Full Version : The Late Show with David Letterman

04-23-2002, 11:33 PM
A blow by blow report for those who missed tonight's episode featuring 7 year old pool sensation, billed by Letterman as "Pound for Pound the best pool entertainer in the world", Landon Shuffet.

Letterman tells a few jokes and the play some game called psychic sandwich. To be honest I was hardly watching at this point, too busy sorting through my Village People albums.

After commercial Letterman introduces his first guest, Landon Shuffet. Landon and Dave chit chat back and forth for about 5 minutes. Pretty good stuff, with Landon getting some good laughs telling Dave that he doesn't gamble. Landon informs Dave that he has been playing for 3 years this July, that his dad teaches him and that he practices everyday. Dave tells Landon to go over to the table and do his first trick shot.

Landon does a shot he calls the "Machine Gun". This shot involves lining 10 or so balls up aginst the rail and then firing them one after another into the corner pocket. Landon completes the shot, crowd goes wild, fade to commercial.

After commercial, Landon perfoms his next shot called the "Evil Knievel" This involves jumping the cue ball, which is sitting in a cube of chalk on the rail, over about 5 balls and making a ball in the corner. Dave asks if this is a legal shot should it ever come up in a match, Landon says he doesn't know but he'll ask his dad. Landon makes the shot, crowd goes wild, fade to Dave.

Dave's next guest was Seth Green, Seth proceeded to tell a story about playing pool in a basement pool hall in Hollywood. It was pretty much your standard crap about pool players being degenerate gamblers who, according to Seth would "Murder you for a dollar." He plugged some movie that no one will ever see, crowd sits on hands, fade to Landon.

Landon performs a shot called the "Crossfire." This shot involves 10 or so balls lined up the same way as in the first shot. This time Landon banks all the balls 3 rails into the pocket. This shot was pretty cool because every ball he shot would cross the path of where another ball was coming. They had a cue on the end rail to make the pocket bigger, but who really cares. Landon made all the balls but one, but like a true performer he knocked it in with his cue after. Crowd goes...... yea yea you get the point.

This was the end Landon's perfomance. Elvis Costello came and played a song. It was decent but it was no "YMCA" or "In The Navy".

All in all it was a decent show. Landon showed great composure in front of the cameras for a kid his age. Rupert G. got to plug his new sandwich and Seth Green gets on every pool enthusiasts bad side.

Stauber

bigalerickson
04-23-2002, 11:50 PM
Now I have a good reason to not like seth green. I knew I didn't like him before, but without reason. Now, it all makes sense.

Thanks for the update for those who missed it.

al

04-24-2002, 01:27 AM
whine all you want. THAT is a very popular public perception of pool.

and how did the subject of the kid betting come about?

04-24-2002, 01:59 AM
I saw it. Landon was adorable. He should be proud of how well he did.

There's no doubt in my mind that guy Seth Green was grandstanding...making it up as he went along. The place in the basement he was referring to was probably Cue Time, a seedy place but nobody plays you for a dollar there like he said.

This guy is a total idiot. Here you have this adorable 7 year old kid shooting trick shots after commercials and all he could think of saying is what a degenerate game pool is.

Real nice.

Fran

clarence
04-24-2002, 04:01 AM
yeah saw the kid he was adorable and did not seem nervous at all being interviewed by David. What really pissed me off is the ugly Ahole who david interviewed and talked about his pool experience betting $ 1 with some thugs and how his big ass friend boom boom who had a gun kept him feeling safe against the guy who just lost money to him and wanted another match. Also how he negatively describes people who go to pool halls. Boy do I want to lay my hands on that piece of %^$*!!!

rackmup
04-24-2002, 05:38 AM
...give Seth Green a break. After all, his acting career has been reduced to just one step below "Sesame Street."

Regards,

Ken (thought Landon was wonderful and Seth needed to go back to his hole)

rackmup
04-24-2002, 05:59 AM
...and let's see...The NFL, MLB, NBA and the NHL don't suffer from drug abuse and domestic violence. There are NO Pro Athletes in jail for murder, drug dealing, etc. Dennis Rodman and Charles Barkley were always GREAT role models. Pro Tennis doesn't have it's share of drug users and DUI arrests...blah, blah, blah.

Pool, compared to other sports at the PRO LEVEL, is as squeeky clean as it can get. Part of this is "gray" as pool doesn't receive the media coverage the other sports do but nonetheless, pool is one of the great American pastimes for thousands and thousands of people.

We need to separate our thoughts and opinions about the "Pro" pool player vs. the avid, amateur pool player, the latter being, for the most part, no more guilty of the "sins" of the few than "little Billy" who plays "POP WARNER" football and wears a shirt bearing the name of some has-been NFL player that is facing prison time for smuggling marijuana...TWICE (Dallas fans KNOW who I am referring to.)

Sorry, just my $.02 worth.

Regards,

Ken (counting the hours until I win the Texas Lotto and head off to Cabo)

Doctor_D
04-24-2002, 06:00 AM
Good morning:

Landon was phenominal !!!

However, as seems to almost always be the case with some of these shows and their producers, why is it that they can never keep a program on a more upscale and professional basis. With all of the quality players available through the WPBA and the men's tour, why deal with such a low life?

Dr. D.

04-24-2002, 07:20 AM
Seth,Seth Seth... Anything for ratings. I agree with Fran. Seth has a very vivid imagination. Unfortunately, the picture he painted is partially true. The thing that rubs my fur wrong is that after watching Landon show something positive about the game, you have Mr. Green telling us some made up tale for his own self promoting purposes. First of all, he strikes me as someone that doesn't go anywhere without a signed permission slip. Second, who the hell gambles for $1? And third, if "Boom-Boom" was such a local badass, why would he care to hang with a "Seth Green" type? My opinion, I couldn't see Seth hanging out in Cue Time-for that matter, I couldn't see him walking through that neighborhood!

Eric >would love to give my opinion on Actors

Brady_Behrman
04-24-2002, 07:51 AM
Its hard to believe that the image of pool still is Dark smokey rooms with drugs and violence involved. Those who have been playing for decades can remember when pool was just a mans sport with the type of atmosphere they discussed on the show. Action is much tougher to get these days, The image of pool has done a 360. When my dad started Q-Masters in 1971, it was called the Paddle and cue. He then moved locations in 1975 and named it Q-Master Billiards. His original sign that was on the street said, Upscale Billiard room with a Family Atmosphere, and in big bold letters, LADIES WELCOME. Pool has come a long way. It sucks that large exposue shows have shmucks still portray the OLD bad image. This is pools downside and hopefully in the decades to come we will be able to change the views of many people. If pool had more television coverage, I believe that people that have the old train of thought would change their views. Think about all the people that are 40- 70 yrs old that did not go to pool rooms because of the image. Sometimes when I say to people I run a Billiard Room, they get this smirk on their face that describes their thought of pool rooms(smokey, dirty, etc.) I have to get into detail with them about our atmospher and our volume of tables(54) to try to deter their thinking and let them know that pool is a clean sport.

Some Commercials involving pool still portray the "Image". Has anyone seen the Dentine commercial. Dark room playing pool they put the gum in their mouth and poof--clean, cool and clear..Refreshing

Landon did a great job and i commend him for that. I am looking forward to seeing his exhibitions at our U.S.Open this year.

thats my .02 cents
Thanks,
Brady

Doctor_D
04-24-2002, 07:54 AM
Good morning Brady:

On a side note, consistent with the content of your post, you should see the reaction I get from individuals with whom I work professionally when they learn that I play pool and compete on regional tours. It is as if an individual, with an advanced education, does not belong in a pool room.

I love seeing the reaction when I tell people that this Ph.D. plays pool!

/ccboard/images/icons/wink.gif

Dr. D.

Brady_Behrman
04-24-2002, 08:03 AM
Doc D,

I can definately Relate! You probally remembe how thins were back then,

cuechick
04-24-2002, 08:16 AM
Thanks for the play by play, I fell asleep!!!! I should never have added that Baily's to my hot coco! It's all Barouty's fault /ccboard/images/icons/wink.gif!! As for Seth, hey I think it's great that the subject stayed on pool! Who cares what negative sterotypes he brought up, there are still rooms out there like that. I think he's a funny guy and I'd play him for the ca$h any day of the week....
It reminds me once when I was in Hollywood playing at the once great room, Hollywood Athletic Club and Anthony Michael HAll came in with a couple of friends. I played with one of them while Mr. Hall beat up on his friend (he was very cocky and full of bravado). When they suggested he play me, it was time to go! I knew he didn't want to loose to a girl,esp in front of his friends.... he, he....actors!

04-24-2002, 08:32 AM
Brady,

Personally, I think the image of pool has alot to do with the rooms and their operators. Like anything else, there's good and there's, well, no so good. Here's an example: Hollywood Billiards in L.A.- nice room,quaint resteurant, good food. Nice. Hollywood Billiards in San Fran(same owner), nice room but look at the neighborhood! I get nervous walking down the street there(believe you me,I'm not a pansy). Anyway, the point is, if you cater to a certain crowd, you promote that image. I think Pool can grow regardless of which type of person gets involved. Look at how basketball is doing. Would you play hoops in Harlem, though?

Eric >Asian men can't jump either

stickman
04-24-2002, 08:34 AM
In my small group of friends that I regularly play pool with, one is a Doctor. He is a podiatrist, and owns his own building and business. Another is the sales manager for the largest new car dealership in the area. One is a computer technician. Myself, I used to have a very good job as a production manager in a printing plant, before I became disabled. I owned my own portrait studio for six years. I was also on the school board for 6 years, the recreation commission for 3 years, and the tri-county special education cooperative for 3 years. Our little one-horse town pool hall may lack a certain amount of class, but the people I play with don't. /ccboard/images/icons/smile.gif

I can think of any number of others, that I don't regularly play with.

04-24-2002, 08:35 AM
you can view the shots here but not sure how long they will keep the clips on the site.

<a target="_blank" href=http://www.cbs.com/latenight/lateshow/dave_tv/>http://www.cbs.com/latenight/lateshow/dave_tv/</a>

Brady_Behrman
04-24-2002, 08:42 AM
Good philosophy....LOL

Cueless Joey
04-24-2002, 09:40 AM
Kid has future in pool. He has better follow-through than I do.
Seth Green should stick to playing teenage dumb kid in movies. Right, I had friend named Boom Boom. He was Samoan too.
Thanks for the tip Staug. I caught it on western time.

04-24-2002, 09:48 AM
Was anyone else disappointed with the shots they had Landon make?

I realize that to a large majority of the public, these shots may have been impressive, but to pool players they were kind of ridiculous.

After watching him practice the day before, I was quite dismayed when I saw the show. As I said in another post, this kid can play. I was hoping he'd break the balls open and run all 15 balls in, say, under two minutes. He could have done that for sure, and people would have been more impressed. Why? Because they KNOW they can't do that.

Maybe I'm over-reacting, but after watching what this kid can really do, I was disappointed. Brady, if you're listening, I hope you have the kid show his true skills at his US Open exhibition. It's quite amazing to see.

- Steve

cuechick
04-24-2002, 10:36 AM
I know what you mean Steve, but the majority of those watching are not pool players, with any type of TV type thing, there are time restraints and a director involved who probaly picked what was impressive to him. It sounds like he was a big hit and every bit of good exposure pool can get is a boost for pool. IMO, as players, that is all we need to be concerned with.
The trick IS to make it as accessiable to the common man/woman as possible. I actually think pool is far more viewer friendly sport than a lot of other sports that get a lot more air play...

I saw these very funny pictures of Jean Balukas as a 9 year 'phenom' on the Steve Allen show ...and have seen clips of Tiger Woods at 3 on Mike Douglass...it is all good /ccboard/images/icons/wink.gif

04-24-2002, 11:36 AM
Cuechick, we may have to agree to disagree. I don't think dopey trick shots are necessarily any better for pool than those ridiculous sitcom episodes where the main character is secretly a great player. (I suppose the other main characters never noticed he was gone for 30 hours a week honing his skills?)

In both these examples, the "image" of pool is portrayed as something it definitely is not. In the former, it's depicted as basically a circus sideshow, and in the latter, it's shown as something anyone can be great at without any practice at all.

What pool needs, IMO, is to be represented as it really is. And, again, this kid is so talented he could've gotten away with more.

- Steve

JimS
04-24-2002, 11:40 AM
Hi Steve,

I agree with you 100%. I was disappointed with what they let him do and have to wonder if anyone who has ever picked up a stick could have been truly impressed with those shots they picked. Running 15 would have been my choice also, or running a rack of 9 Ball, even if on tape.

04-24-2002, 11:44 AM
At first, I wondered why he did those particular shots myself, but then I realized that it gave him more time at the table and more audience time to watch him. You know how it is with most trick shots, one hit and it's over. But Landon got a good 30 seconds of air time for each shot. That's pretty good TV time.

Fran

04-24-2002, 11:58 AM
You know, this society is so screwed up. I've seen more degenerates in a corporate office on any given day than in a pool room. People in our society are trained to equate how much money you have with the kind of person you are. They get scared when they see two guys dressed in old clothes huddled in a corner of a pool room, yet no one was questioning those guys running Enron. What's wrong with this picture?

Fran

04-24-2002, 01:13 PM
I thought the kid did pretty well for himself, but I also thought Letterman could have treated him better. He used him to get a few laughs, at the boy's expense. With a seven year old kid, you shouldn't make him say 'I don't know' so many times. Letterman should have been prepared to ask more things that the boy knew and could answer. Real likeable little guy. Brandon, I mean - not David.

04-24-2002, 01:18 PM
Sorry - I meant to say Landon, not Brandon.

cheesemouse
04-24-2002, 02:56 PM
This maybe more information than is needed for this thread but I don't know who the hell this Seth Green is and I feel very lucky that I don't know anything about him. From what you guy/gals have said he is just another pretty celebrity face out there in TV land suck'n some butt. I'm glad I miss it. Just another reason to not watch celebrity suck off programing(that would be any Late night talk show). Sorry, but I have a problem with any celebrity telling anyone what the 'real world' is like; they don't have a clue. To bad this fish bait had the TV time to 'dis' our game. One thing in life is true and that is one will forever have to suffer fools.
P.S. I'm glad the kid did well...

04-24-2002, 03:19 PM
Have you never watched Letterman before?? Getting laughs at someone's expense is his MO.

04-24-2002, 04:46 PM
We all know that there are no thugs in pool. There are only complete gentlemen who never do drugs and never shark you in order to win. Get with it people. The public perception of pool is exactly how it was described on Letterman, like it or not!

clarence
04-24-2002, 04:59 PM
hey Letterman had this thing for awhile where he almost mentioned daily in his show that he has never been invited in Oprah and REALLY wants to be in the show. Do you think he will ever get invited by Oprah ? I think not coz he'll sure make a monkey out of her as he does with almost all his guest

04-24-2002, 05:30 PM
Yes, I'd play hoops in Harlem! Harlem has changed quite a bit over the years (it's safe enough for Bill!). Have you ever been to Harlem? I think it's all has to do with "judging others" by their appearance and not on their merit. As Fran said... "They get scared when they see two guys dressed in old clothes huddled in a corner of a pool room"...we all hate to admit it but there is still a lot of prejudice in our society.
QS

Stan Shuffett
04-24-2002, 09:59 PM
Steve, I agree with your perspective 100%. I wish I had met you.

A few comments:

I tried at least a dozen times to steer the focus toward Landon's stroke and his ability to pocket balls and control the cueball. During rehearsal, the first thing I had Landon to do was run a pattern of balls using stroke and cueball control. It didn't even raise an eyebrow. They wanted time control and high probability situations that were spectacular. I knew we were in trouble at that point. Landon faced a new cloth and a 55 degrees studio. Landon had to use handwarmers all afternoon. The conditons were tough with a live audience and one atttempt. A producer just couldn't understand that it would be okay to just let Landon demonstrate a great stroke with some ball pocketing and then do something risky.

I must say that Landon's practice session at the Amsterdam Club East was super. I had many positive comments concerning Landon's ability and just the overall feeling from everyone an appreciation for what he could do. (wonderful folks at that place, what a dream room)

In spite of it all, Landon had a great time and an experience he will carry with him for a lifetime.

I fought hard to make it "pool". Show biz won out. It's so frustrating. I am glad that Landon doesn't have to sort all of this out now. He truly went out there just to have fun. He was willing to do whatever was ask of him. I am so proud of him!

I could not believe Seth Green. What were the chances of that? I just shook my head.

Also, they did not mention the U.S.Open or lead Landon in that direction as I urged them to. That would have made very appropriate conversation. They wouldn't go there. They had their agenda and they followed it well.

My whole family loved New York. Great place, great people.

I hope many of you can meet Landon at this year's U.S. Open in September.

Stan Shuffett

04-24-2002, 10:35 PM
I know how those TV gigs work, Stan. You're at the mercy of the producers and directors. A director once told me he wanted me to rack the balls in 8 ball, break, and make them all go in on the break shot. I asked him if he honestly thought I'd be working for him if I could do that. Sheesh.

Landon did just great. He's a credit to our sport. They ran some clips of his performance on Letterman tonight on Entertainment Tonight.

Keep up the great work.

Fran

04-24-2002, 11:52 PM
stan,

wow!

welcome to the ccb. i would hope you and landon keep comin to visit with us here and keep us up with what's goin on w'y'all.

i remember, long time ago, there used to be this little asian black kid and he played golf.

personally, i think it's not a bad idea to have him able to set-up and sell some "entertainment" shots. helps him get control of the event. lets him (and you) talk to people which is always good.

anyway, near as i can tell you guys are the best thing to hit pool in a while.

dan

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: Stan Shuffett:</font><hr> Steve, I agree with your perspective 100%. I wish I had met you.

A few comments:

I tried at least a dozen times to steer the focus toward Landon's stroke and his ability to pocket balls and control the cueball. During rehearsal, the first thing I had Landon to do was run a pattern of balls using stroke and cueball control. It didn't even raise an eyebrow. They wanted time control and high probability situations that were spectacular. I knew we were in trouble at that point. Landon faced a new cloth and a 55 degrees studio. Landon had to use handwarmers all afternoon. The conditons were tough with a live audience and one atttempt. A producer just couldn't understand that it would be okay to just let Landon demonstrate a great stroke with some ball pocketing and then do something risky.

I must say that Landon's practice session at the Amsterdam Club East was super. I had many positive comments concerning Landon's ability and just the overall feeling from everyone an appreciation for what he could do. (wonderful folks at that place, what a dream room)

In spite of it all, Landon had a great time and an experience he will carry with him for a lifetime.

I fought hard to make it "pool". Show biz won out. It's so frustrating. I am glad that Landon doesn't have to sort all of this out now. He truly went out there just to have fun. He was willing to do whatever was ask of him. I am so proud of him!

I could not believe Seth Green. What were the chances of that? I just shook my head.

Also, they did not mention the U.S.Open or lead Landon in that direction as I urged them to. That would have made very appropriate conversation. They wouldn't go there. They had their agenda and they followed it well.

My whole family loved New York. Great place, great people.

I hope many of you can meet Landon at this year's U.S. Open in September.

Stan Shuffett
<hr></blockquote>

Stan Shuffett
04-25-2002, 03:38 AM
Hi Fran,
Thanks for the thoughts. You're right, the producers drive a hard bargain. Just "pool" would have been the best way to do it. That new Gold Crown was just begging to have some balls stroked here and there. The Amsterdam practice turned out to his real exhibition. I am so thankful that Steve saw it first hand.

My wife thanks you for the "adorable" comment in another post. Thanks for your support. I'll always intend to keep Landon on the credit side of our sport.

And, Houston Dan, thanks for your nice words.

Stan Shuffett

JimS
04-25-2002, 07:19 AM
Hi Stan...and another welcome back to the ccb. I to thought Landon was cute as hell, handled the stick admireably and I was especially impressed with the way he handled the always difficult Letterman. He came across as a bright and talanted boy with impressive skills and high self esteem. He picked up on the gist of Letterman's remark about whether he gambled very quickly and there was another remark where he was working hard to be "politically correct" and fade Dave's question. Neat kid!!

04-25-2002, 07:51 AM
Actually, I have been to Harlem. For that matter, I live here, where are you from? Anyway, I'm not looking for a pissing match, just making an analogy to how a sport can have a, let's say, not so glamourous side and also succeed as a very mainstream venue. BTW if you go to say 127th and St Nic Ave and play hoops for money, if you win, try to leave with the money. For that matter, try just hanging out in that area. Fact is fact: it's a rough neighborhood.

Eric &gt;welcomes all opinions

cheesemouse
04-25-2002, 08:56 AM
Just because I could and I had the time I went to the 'offical' Seth Green web site and 'dis' him by e-mail, as if it will ever see human eyes being lost in the bubble gum wrappers.

04-25-2002, 09:52 AM
I would like to see Seth Green try to get away with his fake phony comments on Leno along with someone like David Brenner on the Panel!
Green would never had ran that B.S.
No self respecting 'Bad Ass' bets a dollar- or even thinks about wasting good knuckle skin on the jaw of a nerd like Green!
Green has a typical child mentality who was jealous of the kid stealing the show.
Letterman is a ratings whore who only wanted to show the kid to appear dumb (like Letterman) so that this kid's prefomance would seem more remarkable. The only reason his dumb audience laughs at his dumb-not-funny quips is because of the Alfred E. Newman look-a-like face Letterman makes to signal them they're supposed to laugh now.
Green told a lie to counter being intimidated by a child. Letterman does not know DICK about pool and Green doesn't know his A.H. from a pool pocket. Then there was only a seven year old that could not defend or question him against the comments.
How lame!!
Bobby

04-25-2002, 10:56 AM
I'm from the bay area...anyway, my point is, not all of Harlem is bad. Is your neighborhood bad? I agree with you that 127th and St Nic Ave is a rough neighborhood.
QS