PDA

View Full Version : 'East/West' grip for power on break, and/or...?

phil in sofla
02-24-2004, 05:28 PM
I had a guy break a ton against me, and I made a comment on the power of his break.

He said something interesting. He said he had found out something that made 'all the difference' in the power he was generating on the break.

It was using what I'm calling, for lack of a better term, the east/west grip.

Imagine looking at the butt of the cue as the breaker is about to break. The thumb and the fingertips (as many as are used, maybe not all of them) are gripping the cue at the 9 o'clock and 3 o'clock positions on the cue itself, not under the cue at all. If the cue cross-section being looked at were a globe, these positions would be at the west and east most points, which is why I've called it the east/west grip. (Is there a standard name for this grip, and if so, what is it?)

Anyway, using this grip just one evening so far, it does seem I'm generating significantly greater power in the break without a loss of control.

Has anyone tried this, or currently use it?

I've seen a few people use this grip all the time for all shots, and generally, they were all good players, and typically, older players. Was this more prevalent at one time than now?

And what would be the advantages and disadvantages of using it, on the break, or otherwise? (Maybe that grip would be more likely to be subject to changes in grip pressure on the fingertips, and less predictable?)

TIA for your comments.

phil in sofla
02-27-2004, 10:41 PM
I guess maybe this grip could be called a fingertip grip, although the tips of the fingers aren't applying the pressure, it's a little closer to the hand than the tips would be.

While I've seen this used by a number of players for their normal shots, I've never seen it described or recommended.

Is it just a horrible technique that I should forget I ever saw, and be done with it?

Sid_Vicious
02-28-2004, 08:48 AM
Funny thing is, I use this grip when I shoot leftie, and I do good with it. My right handed game is definetely NOT using any kind of grip other than a full sensation encircling the circumferance of the butt of the cue. I tried all of them,,,teacup, finger-tips and all in-between. I'd personally steer away from these styles, but that's just me. I too see proficient players using these methods, but I also see side winder stance'd player who run circles around my game, but I'm not about to adopt their styles either. Later...sid~~~puts full table draw using my left side and the semi fingertip grip

phil in sofla
03-02-2004, 05:37 PM
Sid, maybe I'm describing a tea cup grip. Or does that requre an extended pinky off the cue with the grip hand?

cheesemouse
03-02-2004, 06:18 PM
Phil,

Since reading your post I have given this grip a decent test on my home table...due to the fragile feeling of this type of grip it slowed down my take away, made me very concious of accuracy, and allowed for a very complete follow thru...all of which produce a very effective break with the 9ball rack and the full rack...thanks for the suggestion.

JDB
03-02-2004, 10:31 PM
I have seen people play with all types of grips. And it just seems that certain grips work for certain players.

I have been experimenting with the grip that you speak about too, and yes I have found that I get much more power and also am able to control the cue ball better. I have also been using it with every shot and feel much more accurate with it.

I almost feel like I am stabilizing my hand and wrist by applying slight pressure to the top of the cue and "locking my hand in place." It seems to be working so far, but I can't always find the exact position once I quit practicing and start again at a new time. But once I do find it, I find that I play much better.