PDA

View Full Version : Different perceptions

stickman
02-24-2004, 11:58 PM
I lost my APA 9ball match tonight. My opponent and I are the same skill level, and it was a match I would have normally been expected to win. I lost the lag, and the other player broke with nothing on the break. My luck, I was hopelessly hooked, and ended up giving a ball in hand. The other fellow proceeded to run the rack. /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif I was 10 points down now. It must have been his night, because he shot exceptionally well. At the end of the match, I lost to him by 10 points. Later, a teammate remarked to me that he didn't know what I was doing wrong, I played lousy. /ccboard/images/graemlins/frown.gif

I thought that we both played great. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif At least our team won.

Wally_in_Cincy
02-25-2004, 07:38 AM
I know what you mean. Last Thursday I scratched on the 8 in my first game. My gf says "You lost your focus after that". Actually I didn't. I played fine. I just got run over by a steamroller. The guy broke and ran 2 racks and beat me 5-0 in 6 innings LOL

Wally~~shouda only lost 5-1 /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

ChrisW
02-25-2004, 08:35 AM
You did play lousy...

if you were both SK1s. That would be 14-4.
If not then you probably did play well but loosing the match makes it look worse than it was.
I usually see it the other way (When I was playing APA 9B).
I would think I did real bad and people tell me I did well.
Maybe a video camera on all matches will show who shot well and who didn't.

Chris

stickman
02-25-2004, 09:20 AM
My teammate was quick to say that the other guy played great. My point was that, I started started out with a 10 point deficit, and played him a dead even match after that. How could he play great and me play lousy? Anyway, I was happy for him. He shouldn't look forward to it often though. /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif

02-25-2004, 10:58 AM

RailbirdJAM
02-25-2004, 11:14 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote whitewolf:</font><hr> That is one advantage in having short matches, pro or otherwise. The lesser opponent has a chance to win. Sometimes it seems unfair, but it is just part of the game, as it should be IMO. Upsets make for exciting matches, especially in the playoffs. <hr /></blockquote>

What "seems unfair" is when luck is the sole reason for the "lesser opponent" to win rather than skill and straight-shooting in a competitive match (IMHO).

RailbirdJAM