PDA

View Full Version : WD-40

Singlemalt
02-25-2004, 09:46 AM
Dunno how true this is, but came across it and thought it was neat:

One of my favorite products and now I know I can use it for even more stuff.

The product began from a search for a rust preventative solvent and de-greaser to protect missile parts. WD-40 was created in 1953 by three technicians at the San Diego Rocket Chemical Company. It's name comes from the project that was to find a "water displacement" compound. They were successful with the fortieth formulation, thus WD-40.

The Corvair Company bought it in bulk to protect their Atlas missile parts. The workers were so pleased with the product, they began smuggling (also known as "shrinkage" or "stealing") it out to use at home. The executives decided there might be a consumer market for it and put it in aerosol cans.

The rest, as they say, is history.

It is a carefully guarded recipe known only to four people. Only one of them is the "brew master." There are about 2.5 million gallons of the stuff manufactured each year. It gets it's distinctive smell from a fragrance that is added to the brew. Ken East says there is nothing in WD-40 that
would hurt you.

Here are some of the uses:

Protects silver from tarnishing
Cleans and lubricates guitar strings
Gets oil spots off concrete driveways
Gives floors that 'just-waxed' sheen without making it slippery
Keeps flies off cows
Restores and cleans chalkboards
Removes lipstick stains
Loosens stubborn zippers
Untangles jewelry chains
Removes stains from stainless steel sinks
Removes dirt and grime from the barbecue grill
Keeps ceramic/terra cotta garden pots from oxidizing
Removes tomato stains from clothing
Keeps glass shower doors free of water spots
Camouflages scratches in ceramic and marble floors
Keeps scissors working smoothly
Lubricates noisy door hinges on vehicles and doors in homes
Gives a children's play gym slide a shine for a super fast slide
Lubricates gear shift and mower deck lever for ease of handling on
riding
mowers
Rids rocking chairs and swings of squeaky noises
Lubricates tracks in sticking home windows and makes them easier to
open
Spraying an umbrella stem makes it easier to open and close
Restores and cleans padded leather dashboards in vehicles, as well as
vinyl
bumpers
Restores and cleans roof racks on vehicles
Lubricates and stops squeaks in electric fans
Lubricates wheel sprockets on tricycles, wagons and bicycles for easy
handling
Lubricates fan belts on washers and dryers and keeps them running
smoothly
Keeps rust from forming on saws and saw blades, and other tools

Paul_Mon
02-25-2004, 11:33 AM
Add one more use to the list. I was fishing for Salmon on Lake Ontario with my neighbor,his boat,pole,lures. We were running 6 poles at various depths and had no hook-ups. We reeled in two of the poles and sprayed the lures with DW-40, put them back out and threw a small handfull of change into the water. Within minutes we were catching fish. Was it the WD-40? Was it coincidence? Was it the small $$$ offering?

This guy had used it to clean his hands one day after servicing the motor on the boat. He then put his lures out knowing that they had WD-40 on them and started catching lots of fish.

bigshooter
02-25-2004, 12:08 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Paul_Mon:</font><hr> Add one more use to the list. I was fishing for Salmon on Lake Ontario with my neighbor,his boat,pole,lures. We were running 6 poles at various depths and had no hook-ups. We reeled in two of the poles and sprayed the lures with DW-40, put them back out and threw a small handfull of change into the water. Within minutes we were catching fish. Was it the WD-40? Was it coincidence? Was it the small $$$ offering?

This guy had used it to clean his hands one day after servicing the motor on the boat. He then put his lures out knowing that they had WD-40 on them and started catching lots of fish.

<hr /></blockquote>

Being an avid bass fisherman I have heard many times that the spray on oils that everyone uses on plastic baits these days were in fact inspired by people catching more fish by spraying WD40 on their baits.
It leaves a nice oily rainbow scent trail in the water and it will work.

Cueless Joey
02-25-2004, 03:39 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote bigshooter:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote Paul_Mon:</font><hr> Add one more use to the list. I was fishing for Salmon on Lake Ontario with my neighbor,his boat,pole,lures. We were running 6 poles at various depths and had no hook-ups. We reeled in two of the poles and sprayed the lures with DW-40, put them back out and threw a small handfull of change into the water. Within minutes we were catching fish. Was it the WD-40? Was it coincidence? Was it the small $$$ offering?

<hr /></blockquote>

Being an avid bass fisherman I have heard many times that the spray on oils that everyone uses on plastic baits these days were in fact inspired by people catching more fish by spraying WD40 on their baits.
It leaves a nice oily rainbow scent trail in the water and it will work. <hr /></blockquote>
I thought small fish can't smell?
Add one more use for WD40.
I kill ants with them. Either spraying them directly or holding a lighter near the nozzle. Burns the sukkers out.

dg-in-centralpa
02-25-2004, 04:00 PM
Here is another use for WD 40. My 84 year old grandmother sprays it on her joints. Especially her knees, in the morning when she wakes up. She swears that this helps her. Two years ago for Christmas, a bunch of my cousins and uncles got her several large cans as a gift.

DG - don't know if she's lost her marbles

pooltchr
02-26-2004, 06:20 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Cueless Joey:</font><hr> I thought small fish can't smell?
<hr /></blockquote>

Leave one out on the counter for a couple of days.
They can SMELL!!!!!!!!! /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Wally_in_Cincy
02-26-2004, 07:28 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote dg-in-centralpa:</font><hr> Here is another use for WD 40. My 84 year old grandmother sprays it on her joints. ...<hr /></blockquote>

placebo effect.

but if it works what the heck /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif