PDA

View Full Version : Grey Ghost v. Arnot Break Cues

boalt06
02-25-2004, 11:07 PM
Does anyone know which is Better: Omen's Grey Ghost or Arnot's Break Jump/Break Cues.
Also, what about the Gulyassy sledgehammer.
Thank You For the Input
EG

Rip
02-25-2004, 11:26 PM
I've hit with Omen's Grey Ghost as well as his newest break/jump cues. Neither version tripped my trigger.

I have a couple of his playing cues and like em' alot.
Regards,
Rip

boalt06
02-25-2004, 11:51 PM
could you reccomend one then?
Thanks for the reply

Rip
02-26-2004, 12:03 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote boalt06:</font><hr> could you reccomend one then?
Thanks for the reply <hr /></blockquote>

Not really. My break sucks regardless of the cue, LOL!
Regards,
Rip

dooziexx
02-26-2004, 09:39 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote boalt06:</font><hr> could you reccomend one then?
Thanks for the reply <hr /></blockquote>

Ive got an Arnot break cue.. Used it for over a year and it breaks real well and jumps good too. Its just a break cue, no jump portion at all and best of all, its for sale /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

SpiderMan
02-26-2004, 10:29 AM
I'd be pretty leery of Arnot, if it's the company in Florida by that name.

One of my weekly sparring partners recently got a cue from Arnot. It came in at a little over 16 ounces, 3 ounces lighter than supposedly agreed. Also, my friend said he paid extra to have Moori tips installed. I looked at the tips and they were definitely not Moori. They appeared to be Talisman. Needless to say, he was disappointed.

If you are considering spending any serious money with Arnot, you might want to talk to my friend about how well they responded to his issues, as I'm not in the loop there. You can PM me and I'll hook you up.

SpiderMan

Sid_Vicious
02-26-2004, 12:59 PM
I too looked at the supposed Moori tips, using an eye loupe...they were Talismans IMO, definitely NOT Moori tips. I wouldn't do business with someone who shafts customers with that gimmick, no way...sid

JohnBarton
02-26-2004, 08:44 PM
I had an Omen jump/break cue - though not a "grey ghost" model. The cue was very well made and hit the balls good. There wasn't any special breaking performance in my opinion but the cue felt good.

As for Arnot - I would seriously reccommend staying away from him. A former customer of mine was pretty much ripped off because Arnot sent cues which had lots of blemishes and then gave them the run-a-round when asked to make good on the cues. I don't know if it ever got resolved. I have had serious run ins with him on RSB - feel free to look them up in the archives.

For cues that really are engineered for the break I would recommend the Bunjee Jump/Breaker and the Sledgehammer.

John

Kato
02-26-2004, 10:35 PM
So someone other than me has had a run-in with Arnot huh? Nice to hear I'm not the only one.

I had my words with Arnot during the pre-registration days of the CCB so they aren't in the archives. I won't publicly post anything but I can be reached via PM. What I will say on the board is that I don't know anyone that plays with an Arnot, doesn't mean they aren't out there, I know they are, just not in my circles in South Florida.

As for Omen's ghost, I'll own an ebony one to match my play cue, hopefully by CCB III.

Kato

Jimmy B
02-27-2004, 03:24 AM
The sledgehammer is by far the best, Rich R has one and I'm sure he'll give you a great report if you PM him, Next I'd go with the predator BK cue, but that is a bit behind the Sledge hammer. If your break is the problem I'd say give it a try. As for Arnot I have nothing good to say so I'll keep my mouth shut and I've never tried the Omen grey thingy, but I do own one of his normal cues. JB

Rich R.
02-27-2004, 04:58 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Jimmy B:</font><hr> The sledgehammer is by far the best, Rich R has one and I'm sure he'll give you a great report if you PM him <hr /></blockquote>
No PM needed. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

The Sledgehammer B/J cue breaks great, but you have to stay somewhere near certer ball, with your cue tip, or you will miscue. That is because of the phenolic tip, IMHO. Although the Sledgehammer breaks very well, I believe it's real strong point is how easy it is go jump balls with one. Trust me, if I can jump balls, it must be the cue. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I also have a Grey Ghost, but I have an early model, before Pete started using the phenolic tips. Although Pete offered to replace the hard leather tip, with a phenolic tip, I declined, because I wanted the added control of the leather tip. I use this cue for breaking, in APA league play, where I can't break down the cue for jumping. In situations, where I am allowed to jump balls, I switch to the Sledgehammer.
I believe the current versions of the Grey Ghost come with a phenolic tip, so I would assume they would be very similar to the Sledgehammer in performance.
Both are great cues. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Paul_Mon
02-27-2004, 08:31 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Rich R.:</font><hr>
The Sledgehammer B/J cue breaks great, but you have to stay somewhere near certer ball, with your cue tip, or you will miscue. <hr /></blockquote>

Rich,
Have you got a link to the Sledgehammer? Also, what do they cost?

TIA

Paul Mon

Rich R.
02-27-2004, 08:41 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Paul_Mon:</font><hr> Have you got a link to the Sledgehammer? Also, what do they cost?

TIA

Paul Mon <hr /></blockquote>
The web site is for "Baby" Mike Gulyassy.
http://www.babysproshop.com/

The site shows two prices for two different models. I bought mine at VF a couple of years ago and he had more variations in price, depending on variables in the cue, like wraps, stains and woods used in the butt. The working end, shaft and tip, were all the same.