PDA

View Full Version : Surviving surgery

wolfdancer
02-27-2004, 08:27 PM
My li'l ole broken leg surgery went well..but i noticed that the hospitals are now overly cautious...after occasionally removing the wrong organ, etc
The nurse drew a big arrow pointing downward on my left foot, to indicate that this was the one....I thought the cast, and the bruising was a clue, but..
And if you have a choice, don't take the first scheduled operation for your MD, that day....let him warm up; get in stroke, so to speak....let him practice on someone else
They gave me some pre-op pain blockers, that lasted for 2 days...couldn't wiggle my toes...no sense, no feeling...but what a great alternative to pain
I was home watching tv, a few minutes of controversy about "The Passion....." No way, I'd go to see this picture; believer or not...i don't want to see someone tortured to death...that's entertainment?
I went to sleep peacefully, and sometime during the night, the pain-blocker quit working....I felt the pain; someone was trying to nail my foot to a cross...but then I woke up, grabbed me some Percadon "supersize that order, I told the druggist" Them little pills work wonders
so now it's just another 6/8 weeks while the bones heal...thank god that there's all that educational TV on during the day...Jerry Springer, Ricky Lake, Oprah, and Howard

pooljunkie73
02-28-2004, 12:04 AM
I go in in about a month to have my lung operated on. Damn thing keeps collapsing. Those percodans aren't bad, they gave them to me when they put my chest tubes in. For the operation i'm about to have they are going to give my the morphine pump, should be a whole lot better. /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Kent Mc.

Barbara
02-28-2004, 09:08 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote wolfdancer:</font><hr>thank god that there's all that educational TV on during the day...Jerry Springer, Ricky Lake, Oprah, and Howard
<hr /></blockquote>

And "us". You've got "us". Where's the "us" in that sentence, jd???? We're just one big, happy, dysfunctional family. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Barbara

Barbara
02-28-2004, 09:12 AM
hey Kent!

You and Jack should swap phone numbers and keep each other company!!

But seriously, I wish you the best and hope everthing works out! /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Barbara

wolfdancer
02-28-2004, 10:53 AM
Kent, my surgery was pretty minor compared to yours..Hope everything turns out well...and you don't have to stay too long in the hospital. Let us know how you are doing, jjd

moblsv
02-28-2004, 01:16 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote wolfdancer:</font><hr>i noticed that the hospitals are now overly cautious...after occasionally removing the wrong organ, etc
The nurse drew a big arrow pointing downward on my left foot, to indicate that this was the one
<hr /></blockquote>

I recently had surgery for a detached bicep tendon. The nurse was not allowed to write the warning on my shoulder. They gave me the marker and had me do it.

pooljunkie73
02-28-2004, 04:32 PM
Thank you for the wishes of a speedy recovery. I'll be in the hospital for about a week, then home for another two...yippee. It gave me a real good excuse to quit smoking. Sort of kick my ass for ever starting now. Oh well, hind sight is 20-20.

Kent Mc.

Barbara
02-29-2004, 10:10 AM
Hey, we all live and learn. I smoked for over 20 years and kicked the habit over 4 years ago. At least you're going to quit now. Some people never get around to quitting.

Good luck!!

Barbara

Chris Cass
03-01-2004, 12:41 AM
Hi Kent,

My prayers are with you. Hope everything goes good. I know what it means to breath and I feel your going to get through this. We all seem to be there for one another. That's what makes this place so special.

Regards,

C.C.

Chris Cass
03-01-2004, 12:43 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Barbara:</font><hr> Hey, we all live and learn. I smoked for over 20 years and kicked the habit over 4 years ago. At least you're going to quit now. Some people never get around to quitting.Good luck!!
Barbara <hr /></blockquote>

That's what shows how strong you really are.

Regards,

C.C.~~proud of his friend Barbara.. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Wally_in_Cincy
03-01-2004, 06:57 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote pooljunkie73:</font><hr> I go in in about a month to have my lung operated on. Damn thing keeps collapsing. ...<hr /></blockquote>

that sux pretty bad.

Remind us before you go in and we'll say an extra prayer for you. Good luck.

BTW don't forget to take a Sharpie with you so you can mark the correct lung /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

and if you want we can have Fast Larry come visit ya' /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

pooljunkie73
03-01-2004, 01:53 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Wally_in_Cincy:</font><hr> and if you want we can have Fast Larry come visit ya' /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif <hr /></blockquote>

That would be good for a laugh. I wonder who would end up dead first? /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Kent Mc.

pooljunkie73
03-01-2004, 01:54 PM
Thanks Chris, means alot to me.

Kent Mc.

SPetty
03-01-2004, 08:17 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote wolfdancer:</font><hr> My li'l ole broken leg surgery went well..but i noticed that the hospitals are now overly cautious...after occasionally removing the wrong organ, etc
The nurse drew a big arrow pointing downward on my left foot, to indicate that this was the one....<hr /></blockquote>Howdy wolfdancer,

I'm really happy for you that it seems to be working out as expected.

I had outpatient achilles tendon surgery in December. Every single person that I saw in the clinic asked what I was in for and if I was allergic to anything. Every single one. I had to answer that question to a different person about eight times! I ended up suggesting to them that they write it down this time! One of them ended up writing on the correct heel when I lamented not doing it myself. (I had the same surgery on the other leg a few years ago (which was why I was in the cast my first year in Vegas in '02) and before I went in, I wrote a big "NO" on the other heel in magic marker.)

Anyway, my recommendation to you is to watch as many pool videos as you can while you're laid up. You'll never have a better chance than now to catch up on them. I wish I had done that, but I ended up with a little too much of that "educational" television you talked about... I couldn't make it out to where I had the videos stored!

I'm sorry I laughed when you first described your accident here, but I think that was the intent of how you wrote it. Hope it doesn't hurt too much. Mine still hurts a lot, and I'm barely out of the cast and totally out of pain pills... /ccboard/images/graemlins/frown.gif

wolfdancer
03-02-2004, 03:03 PM
I went through the Q &amp; A, several times myself...finally to break the monotony, I told one person who asked what procedure I was in for, I said they were going to cut off my leg....then realised...not really a good joke.
Great hospital though.. the staff, the care, etc., all 5-star...St.Joseph's..Vancouver,Wa
AND thanks for the pool video tip..I've got a ton of them, and haven't watched any for awhile...and there's no way I watch that daytime tv garbage