PDA

View Full Version : Hypodermic Dent Repair

Sid_Vicious
02-29-2004, 09:37 AM
I consider myself a little anal about pecks and dents on my shafts, and I use a hypodermic needle with water to correct even the slightest imperfection. It sometimes takes a few applications over a couple of days, but the results are precision and merely perfect. A magnifier hood or similar device is very usefull when applying the water droplet. Just thought I'd post a helpfull hint...sid

Steve - Detroit
02-29-2004, 07:32 PM
Sid,
Could you please expand on this method a little? Are you just letting a water droplet sit on the ding and if so, for how long? Is it hot water or does it even matter?

I'd sure appreciate any further info on this as I have some house cues that need attention.

Thanks

BeanDiesel
02-29-2004, 08:34 PM
i really really donno this. can u tell me from where i can learn to repair dents?

Wally_in_Cincy
03-01-2004, 07:28 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote BeanDiesel:</font><hr> i really really donno this. can u tell me from where i can learn to repair dents? <hr /></blockquote>

I place a damp/wet rag over the ding and hit it with an iron. The steam raises the dent. You may need to sand lightly after it dries.

JMO. Works for me.

Frank_Glenn
03-01-2004, 08:24 AM
Put a wet Q-Tip on the dent and fix it there with a rubber band. Wait a while (overnight, a few hours) depending on how deep the ding is. This will "swell" the ding. I try to burnish it out first, but if that doesn't work I use 400/600/1000 grit as previously described. Brown bag will work for burnish, as will a leather pad.

Sid_Vicious
03-01-2004, 08:36 AM
I take a syringe with water, put on my magnifier hood after feeling the area of the dent(s), and tediously squeeze a droplet onto the depression, more for larger ones and less for tiny ones. I never worry about leaving it on too long, but I'd say I probably leave it no less than 2 hours. Once it's dry, I hit it with some 9 micron glass polisher to smooth out the raised areas and re-inspect for perfection. Repeat if necessary. I get even the tinniest dents out with this method, but it can take multiple applications over a time...sid

KGeeED
03-01-2004, 09:13 AM
Sid

Thanks for the great tip. I always remove my dents with a small piece of wet tissue paper but you method seems to be more precise. I use a piece of leather to burnish the shaft after the water dries and then rub my hand over the dent to get some oil back into the wood. I need to get a needle now but I don't think I will carry it my case, I live in the Detroit area /ccboard/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

Troy
03-01-2004, 09:13 AM
I put a small drop of water on the ding and let it sit a while (duration depends on the severity of the ding). If this does NOT raise the ding, I put a wet bandaid on the spot. After the spot has raised, I use a glass rod to buff it out. If that fails to make the shaft smooth, I use 600 grit.

Troy
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote BeanDiesel:</font><hr> i really really donno this. can u tell me from where i can learn to repair dents? <hr /></blockquote>

Steve - Detroit
03-01-2004, 09:09 PM
Thanks Sid, I think I'll give it a try. It seems easier than the heat method which I was always hesitant to try, even though several posters swear by it. I have trouble ironing a shirt let alone trying to spot heat a cue shaft.

ras314
03-02-2004, 07:11 AM
Have you tried this method with 314 shafts?

Sid_Vicious
03-02-2004, 07:27 AM
ras...no not yet. I have only one 314 and it sits at home more than it gets out to play...sid

TomBrooklyn
03-02-2004, 10:16 AM
I apply drops of water with a cotton swab (aka Q-tip.) I control how much water I apply to the ding by how wet I make the swab and how much pressure I use to touch it to the shaft. I find I can place a very small drop by not wetting the swab to full saturation and then touching it very lightly to the shaft. I try to make the size of the drop the same size as the ding or very close to it. I often have to repeat the application several times.

Applying water over a large area around the ding with a piece of cloth or a bandaid seems to me like it would cause too large an area of the wood to swell up, although a lot of people claim success with that method.

A small hypodermic needle sounds like a good idea for controlling the size of the water drop. Can they be purchased over the counter? I was under the impression their sale was restricted and required a prescription or something.

Big Dave
03-02-2004, 11:16 AM
I've got millions of little dings and scratches all over the shaft of my cue... Would it be alright to put the shaft in the bath? For how long should I leave it there?

Just in case.... Yes... This IS a joke!!! LOL

stickman
03-02-2004, 12:11 PM
I'm glad you elaborated your method. In my mind I could envision someone showing up at the poolhall with a shaft that looked like a woodpecker attacked it. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif (Yeah, I have a warped sense of humor.)

stickman
03-02-2004, 03:03 PM
I had a couple of dings that were being a little difficult today. I got the syringe out and it worked great. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Jim

Sid_Vicious
03-02-2004, 04:41 PM
"Can they be purchased over the counter? I was under the impression their sale was restricted and required a prescription or something."

I actually bought mine through an agricultural supply house when I was treating a pet at home, but I could have just as easily bought them at the drug store. My ex used to be alergic to no end, and shots were necessary, Texas was no problem back then in getting them over the counter....sid

BeanDiesel
03-02-2004, 05:37 PM
do you guys think i can apply these methods on my cuetec thunderbolt shaft?

stickman
03-02-2004, 11:41 PM
I get them at my drug store. They told me that I didn't need a prescription. I could get one if I needed it. I give myself a shot every week to treat my anemia.

KGeeED
03-04-2004, 09:10 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Sid_Vicious:</font><hr> I take a syringe with water, put on my magnifier hood after feeling the area of the dent(s), and tediously squeeze a droplet onto the depression, more for larger ones and less for tiny ones. I never worry about leaving it on too long, but I'd say I probably leave it no less than 2 hours. Once it's dry, I hit it with some 9 micron glass polisher to smooth out the raised areas and re-inspect for perfection. Repeat if necessary. I get even the tinniest dents out with this method, but it can take multiple applications over a time...sid <hr /></blockquote>

I tried this and really messed up my shaft. First of all the needle bent while trying to stick it into the shaft and then the tip broke off. /ccboard/images/graemlins/mad.gif Not wanting to have a piece of the needle in the shaft I had to use a knife to dig it out. Now the gouge makes the shaft worst than the small dent that was in it. /ccboard/images/graemlins/crazy.gif