PDA

View Full Version : 7' vs. 9' playing 14.1

mworkman
02-29-2004, 10:15 AM
Anyone play 14.1 on both table sizes? If so, what are your high runs on respective tables? I'll be getting a 9' sometime this year and was wondering how that will affect my scores. Thanks

Rod
02-29-2004, 10:51 AM
I've played 14-1 and one pocket on bar boxes to 10 footers. The bar box gets very crowded but making long shots is easier. The 9 footer is where the game should be played, a lot more area to work the c/b. My last 14-1 game (about 4 years ago) on a 7 footer,50 point game, the guy broke and I run 50 and out. My high run on a 9 footer is over three times that and it's not likely I could do the same on a small table.

Rod

Chris Cass
03-01-2004, 01:29 AM
Now how am I suppose to get you any action? Quit spilling the beans Rod.

/ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif,

C.C.~~a managers job is tough sometimes.. /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Wally_in_Cincy
03-01-2004, 07:46 AM
Never played that game on a 7'

I play on my 8' at home and it gets a little crowded. A lot of balls on the rails too it seems. I find 14.1 easier to play overall on a 9', except for the long up-table shots of course.

Perk
03-01-2004, 08:11 AM
I have a 7' in my house, so I practice 14.1 at times with an initial break ball. I normally run around 25 or so consistently. Occasionally I get into the 3 rack, but I get frustrated. Seems clusters are more frequent on the 7', and I miss the break ball (my pockets are shimmed) from trying to fire it in. I dont have many opportunities to play on 9' tables 14.1, most of the time its just 9ball, so I dont know if its easier/harder. I just play it to run balls and judge my results accordingly.

tito
03-01-2004, 10:35 AM
I have a 9' in my work, I practice 8-ball, 9-ball, 14.1, Target Pool and a lot exercises of pool books of George Fels, Robert Byrne, Steve Mizerak, Willie Mosconi etc...

When I play in 7' it was too easy because all the balls are very near, the 7 footer need more cue ball control because the area to play itīs shorter than 9 footer.

I prefer 9' and I think that if you play well in 9' footer, 7 footer itīs a children play.

Rod
03-01-2004, 10:37 AM
Er sorry boss.Ha ha ha Actually it isn't a problem, I'm blind in one eye and can't see out of the other. Not to mention my elbow squeaks. By the time I get to the pool room I'm half exhausted and I don't want to get out of my heated seat, so I take a nap! When I wake up I go in and everyone has left. Man I'll tell you I never get any respect. signed R.D. /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Pelican
03-01-2004, 11:48 AM
I read somewhere that you would have to put 25 balls on a 9' table to get the same density as 15 on a 7'.

I put it in the computer and it actually works out to 23.4 balls.

ajrack
03-02-2004, 01:04 AM
7' = 63...
8' = 95...
9' = 262...
10' = 102
lotsa clutter on the 7'...8' while I was learning to play...9' after I could play pretty good and I am the most proud of the 102 balls on the 10 footer using the old "clay" balls...

Chris Cass
03-02-2004, 10:15 AM
Now your talkin. LOL Boy I can't wait to meet you brother. You and I will take all there doe. LOL

Regards,

C.C.~~sends me a picture that shows only his hat. that still cracks me up. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Chris Cass
03-02-2004, 10:19 AM
Hi mworkman,

I was once asked to play some on a 7ft. but I turned it down. That the guy was crazy to even suggest it. I wouldn't play one pocket on a bar table either. The nubers sound right in previous posts. You would run higher on a 9ft. Sounds like your trying to handicap.

Regards,

C.C.

Wally_in_Cincy
03-02-2004, 10:23 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Chris Cass:</font><hr> Hi mworkman,

I was once asked to play some on a 7ft. but I turned it down. That the guy was crazy to even suggest it....<hr /></blockquote>

Playing straight pool on a 7' table would seem to be asking for an exercise in frustration. But then again I've never tried it.

Chris Cass
03-02-2004, 10:58 AM
Hi Wally,

To me it sounds like one has too much time on their hands or they're looking to fleece ya. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif It's like playing 8 ball on a 9ft. I like to call it runout 8 ball.

Regards,

C.C.

aajourney
03-02-2004, 12:55 PM
Hi guys, thanks for all the posts. My high run on my 7' is only 29, I also have lots of obstructions down in my basement (not enough room). I never get to play on a 9' because there aren't any in my area. The closest 9' is an hours drive. I'm looking forward to moving this year and a large rec-room will be a must. Most people here seem to think it's easier to shoot 14.1 on a 9'. I hope this is true because I aspire one day to hit that magic 100.

Chris Cass
03-03-2004, 07:32 AM
Hi aajourney,

That's a valid excuse. Yes, you'll begin to enjoy this game more on a 9ft. It gives you a chance to find your stroke. An hr away isn't too bad once a week. That's if the tables play straight. If you really want to learn this game? My advice to you is to pay close attention to #### Leonard' postings. I also think you should try to set your goals to bring a smooth stroke to the table before talking numbers into play. Good luck and shoot straight. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Regards,

C.C.~~found it once and can't remember where it went. /ccboard/images/graemlins/confused.gif

daviddjmp
03-03-2004, 10:55 AM
All 14.1 tournaments I have seen recently are played on 9 foot tables. 40-50 years ago they were played on 10 footers. I don't like playing on any table other than 9', as that is the tournament ond pool hall standard. I know they use 7' bar boxes in Vegas for 8-Ball tourneys, but 9X 4.5 has been the standard for a while now for 14.1 and 9-ball. I am just getting back into 14.1 after a 20-year hiatus, my high run (which is not very high) is 32, next goal is 50-

Fred Agnir
03-03-2004, 11:54 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote mworkman:</font><hr> Anyone play 14.1 on both table sizes? If so, what are your high runs on respective tables? I'll be getting a 9' sometime this year and was wondering how that will affect my scores. Thanks <hr /></blockquote>My high run on a 7' table is in the mid 50's. My high run on a 9' table is in the mid 60's. The 7' table runs are more like an exercise in coin flipping as it is too congested to properly play 14.1, IMO.

Fred &lt;~~~ doesn't play 14.1 much

Bob_Jewett
03-03-2004, 04:43 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote mworkman:</font><hr> Anyone play 14.1 on both table sizes? If so, what are your high runs on respective tables? I'll be getting a 9' sometime this year and was wondering how that will affect my scores. Thanks <hr /></blockquote>
I asked Jimmy Caras about the relative difficulty of table sizes for 14.1. He said that the old-time players, who minimized cue ball motion and could get very precise position, were unlikely to miss on an 8-foot table until they starved to death. My own experience is that high runs on 8-footers are much easier than on 9-footers. At 7 feet, the table does start to get crowded, and many 7-foot tables have shrunken pockets compared to full-sized tables, but with the same size of pocket, I think they would still be easier than 9-foot tables.

aajourney
03-04-2004, 10:20 AM
This message board is great. Thanks Bob Jewett. Also, advise from Jimmy Caras? It dosen't get any better then this. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Wally_in_Cincy
03-04-2004, 11:08 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Pelican:</font><hr> I read somewhere that you would have to put 25 balls on a 9' table to get the same density as 15 on a 7'.

I put it in the computer and it actually works out to 23.4 balls. <hr /></blockquote>

FWIW

If a 7' is 82 x 41 nose to nose = 3362 sq. in.

If a 9' is 106 x 53 = 5618 sq. in.

The 9' has 67% more surface area.

Wally~~waiting for Fred's correction /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif