PDA

View Full Version : Instroke Cowboy

Kato
02-29-2004, 05:51 PM
I'm probably going to ordering one of these in the next couple of months. Any problems I should know about from this particular case? If it's any difference I'll be purchasing a 3X5, weight is not an issue.

Kato

JohnBarton
02-29-2004, 06:03 PM
Make sure the one you get has the new diamond latch. This latch is virtually indestructable. It is available on all models produced after September 2003. Call the exclusive distributer, Sterling Gaming at 877-283-7444 for a list of dealers where the new cases are accessible.

John

Mr Ingrate
02-29-2004, 07:30 PM
Kato,

You might want to look at Tony's new Talisman cases. I'm very, very happy with mine.

Dave

PQQLK9
02-29-2004, 08:42 PM
Kato I've had a 3x5 Cowboy for over two years and really like it.(the latch has not fallen off yet like it did on my seven mo.old 2x4 cowboy)

eg8r
02-29-2004, 09:18 PM
No problems with mine. I love it. I have the 3X7. It is heavy, but not a big deal when going from the car to the ph. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

eg8r

JohnBarton
02-29-2004, 09:28 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Mr Ingrate:</font><hr> Kato,

You might want to look at Tony's new Talisman cases. I'm very, very happy with mine.

Dave <hr /></blockquote>

He said he was getting a 3x5. Talisman only make 2x4's. The Talisman 2x4 is larger than an Instroke 3x5 or 3x7 in circumference and weighs a pound more than the Instroke 2x4.

John

TalismanTony
02-29-2004, 10:05 PM
John,

I think you're thinking of the first batch of cases which were quite large, we changed this over a year ago.

Our 2x4 is no longer larger than the Instroke 3x7. It is though bigger than your 2x4, the only way we could get ours any smaller would be to cut down on the thickness of memory foam used for protection inside.

I am also told by many customers that our cases are lighter than Instroke. I can't say myself as I don't have an Instroke to compare to, how much does a 2x4 weigh when empty?

You're right on one thing, we currently only produce 2x4 cases. Hoping to have a 3x6 ready soon.

Kind regards,
Tony

Tom_In_Cincy
02-29-2004, 10:39 PM
Tony,
I am very happy with the 2x4 you sent me last fall. I liked the one, so much, that you gave away at the CCB II in 2003 (US Open tournament) that I purchased one.

I had been a very happy customer of an Instroke Buffalo 2x4 for many years, but found it USELESS when I got a custom cue made and it wouldn't fit into the Instroke case. I thought I had made a mistake and then found that even the longer pin production cues wouldn't fit in the Instroks either.

I understand Instroke has now fixed this problem and has produced a line of cases that will fit all cues, regular pin or long. Thanks for catching up with the industry.

Happy customer of both Instroke and Talisman cases.

SUPERSTAR
03-01-2004, 12:25 AM
First off let me say that, i abuse my cowboy 2x4. I drag it all over, being to lazy to actually lift it half the time. It is more like a cane when i walk through the pool hall.

SO...it figures that the ONLY problem i've ever had is that the little plastic nubs that actually support the case when standing upright (there were 4 of them), have all come off. They are held in place by these tacks with barbed ends, so they don't come out easily. I've even had them replaced at no charge by instroke. BUT they still popped out again....they are all gone.

OTHER than the nubs being gone. This is the best case i've ever had. This case (aside from the nubs) is indestructible. I haven't had a single problem with it. I like it SO MUCH, that instead of getting a new case, i just slapped on some black electrical tape around the bottom so the bottom leather panel wouldn't fall out(it was held in by the tacks that held in the nubs and some glue), and so the case would be protected from me draggin it on the floor.

It's actually because of how this case has held up that i don't get rid of it. Call me cheap, but this case is tops. I actually like it better now without the nubs. AND...if the tape gets all nasty. I just peel it off, and wrap it with some fresh stuff. You can't even tell there's tape on it half the time!
anyway....that's the only problem i've had.

ALTHOUGH...someone told me recently that the instroke's of today AREN'T the instokes of the past. Something about the company changing hands and using lesser quality materials. So check THAT out before you buy ANYTHING.

Cause if they don't make them like the one i've got (and believe me i beat the crap out of it)
Get something else.

SUPERSTAR

Chris Cass
03-01-2004, 12:48 AM
Hey I know you. Your Derick McMasters right?

Regards,

C.C.~~busted huh???? lol

Chris Cass
03-01-2004, 12:57 AM
Hi Kato,

Bought Heide a Instroke Bufallo 2x4. It has the diamond clasp. It's only on the lid. It's strong but the only problems is in the twist part of the latch. I'm unable to locate any of the clasps used. The good thing is, the Instroke people do stand behind their product and will replace it for free. That's if the case is new enough.

In my experience they have replaced my old one with an old model but still went the extra mile. That was when John was working there. I'm sure they'll do the same now. They're constantly trying to better their product so, I can't say much.

Regards,

C.C.~~likes the bufallo better. something about the brown leather that looks natural. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

SUPERSTAR
03-01-2004, 06:23 AM
Who the heck is Derick McMasters.
Sorry, but you've got the wrong guy.

SUPERSTAR

JohnBarton
03-01-2004, 09:06 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote TalismanTony:</font><hr> John,

I think you're thinking of the first batch of cases which were quite large, we changed this over a year ago.

Our 2x4 is no longer larger than the Instroke 3x7. It is though bigger than your 2x4, the only way we could get ours any smaller would be to cut down on the thickness of memory foam used for protection inside.

I am also told by many customers that our cases are lighter than Instroke. I can't say myself as I don't have an Instroke to compare to, how much does a 2x4 weigh when empty?

You're right on one thing, we currently only produce 2x4 cases. Hoping to have a 3x6 ready soon.

Kind regards,
Tony

<hr /></blockquote>

Tony, I need to preface this by saying that I do not own Instroke anymore and my comments are solely from the standpoint of one who WAS involved and knows the intimate details of Instroke construction.

I recently, through a trade, acquired one of your Talisman cases that was only a month old according to the former owner. I inspected that case thoroughly, being as critical as I am with all cases that pass through my hands. The case is larger in curcumference than the Instroke 3x7. The Instroke 2x4 in leather weighs 5lbs and yours weighed in at 6lbs. The Instroke 3x5 weighs 7lbs.

Your brochure took some potshots at Instroke, some well deserved becuase of the latch problems we did have and others not so well deserved. As the former owner and designer of the Instroke case I think it is my duty to tell the consumer how both cases stack up if the opportunity presents itself. No one here asked for a comparison and so I will not give one except for the size and weight factors.

You make a good case. It is not as good as Instroke in my opinion but it is a good case. I am, of course very biased and critical. An independent body may find differently. Keep up the good work. The world needs good cases and yours are better than most out there.

Sincerely,

John Barton

JohnBarton
03-01-2004, 09:14 AM
REPRINT FROM SEYBERTS FORUM:

The lowdown:

Instroke started life through me in 1991 in Koblenz Germany. Through many partnerships and mergers it became Instroke Sports GMBH based in Ilshofen Germany. I retained the United States rights of trademark and copyright.

In 1998 I sold out my partnership to the remaining partners at Instroke GMBH in order to set up shop in the USA. I opened Instroke Sports LLC in 1999 in Colorado.

Instroke Sports USA (as we were known) purchased all of their Instroke cases from the German company under the stipulation that my production guidelines were strictly adhered to. This agreement was quickly broken and along with other issues it led to a situation where I decided to find another factory capable of producing cases to my standards.

Thus began a two year period of development of a new production of Instroke cases and a prolonged legal battle with Germany. In late 2003 we settled with Germany over the trademark issues and they must abdicate the Instroke trademark in the United States. They will also have to stop using Stroke Sports as well since it is confusingly similar, but that is another issue.

The new factory has spent over a quarter million dollars to upgrade their capability in order to produce cases which exceed my production values. A short bio is available at www.instroke.com (http://www.instroke.com)

This brings me to the original question and the subsequent answers on this board.

The Instroke Buffalo model was originally made from vegetable tanned, oiled leather. Because the particualr type of leather is often unavailable in exactly the same tannage, color and consistency this model has often used varying types of leather. Now, the Buffalo model from the REAL Instroke in Taiwan uses the original vegetable tanned, oiled leather. It is perhaps the best that has ever been used for this model.

As to the quality of the cases overall. The Instroke case from Taiwan is the better case by far. The reason I can say this confidently is because the cases from Germany are stuck in 1998. The original factory where I developed the mass production line and taught the designers and shop workers how to build according to my guidelines no longer exists. The cases are made in the Czech Republic in a new facility with the barest remnants of knowledge from my original vision. In other words there has been NO improvement on the basic design that I left them with in 1998. There has in fact been a degradation of quality internally. You as a consumer, would not see this immediately but I did and do. Still though, the cases from the German company are better than just about all of the competition out there.

The cases from Taiwan though are the bomb. The Taiwanese have outdone themselves by producing cases that have major improvements over the ones from the Czech Republic. To start with the tubes are lighter and stronger. The lining does not hang up anymore, this problem has been eliminated. The latches are practically indestructable with the new diamond latch. The tubes are padded to protect against impact and to provide a tighter fit between the exterior and the interior of the case. The nails used on the end caps are fully barbed so that they cannot work loose. The zipper pulls on the self-healing zippers are heavy duty so that they won't break. And there are several minor things that are being done to insure a top quality case. The point is that despite the rumors and misconceptions, the Taiwanese Instroke is the better case point for point and is the very best Instroke case that has ever been produced during my 13 years with Instroke.

Sincerely,

John Barton
founder, designer and former owner of Instroke Cue Cases.

JohnBarton
03-01-2004, 09:52 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Chris Cass:</font><hr> Hi Kato,

Bought Heide a Instroke Bufallo 2x4. It has the diamond clasp. It's only on the lid. It's strong but the only problems is in the twist part of the latch. I'm unable to locate any of the clasps used. The good thing is, the Instroke people do stand behind their product and will replace it for free. That's if the case is new enough.

In my experience they have replaced my old one with an old model but still went the extra mile. That was when John was working there. I'm sure they'll do the same now. They're constantly trying to better their product so, I can't say much.

Regards,

C.C.~~likes the bufallo better. something about the brown leather that looks natural. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif <hr /></blockquote>

If you need a clasp, email info@sterlinggaming.com and request one. They will instruct me to send it to you.

John

daviddjmp
03-01-2004, 11:16 AM
I have a Cowboy 2x3 and I just got the Talisman Tribal 2x4. The leather on the Talisman is much nicer in my opinion, and it is also a more understated design. It definitely seemed lighter to me, even though it holds an extra shaft.

Troy
03-01-2004, 12:04 PM
Anxiously waiting for Talisman's 3x6 case so I can redeem a "Christmas Gift Certificate" for a Black &amp; Tan case..... /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Troy
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote TalismanTony:</font><hr>.....we currently only produce 2x4 cases. Hoping to have a 3x6 ready soon.

Kind regards,
Tony

<hr /></blockquote>

JohnBarton
03-01-2004, 04:59 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote daviddjmp:</font><hr> I have a Cowboy 2x3 and I just got the Talisman Tribal 2x4. The leather on the Talisman is much nicer in my opinion, and it is also a more understated design. It definitely seemed lighter to me, even though it holds an extra shaft. <hr /></blockquote>

The Tribal model might be lighter but the other one isn't.

John

daviddjmp
03-01-2004, 05:25 PM
You are correct, the Tribal weighs 5.2 lbs and the Instroke weighs 5.4. The new Tribal must have different materials than the original-

JohnBarton
03-01-2004, 05:28 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote daviddjmp:</font><hr> I have a Cowboy 2x3 and I just got the Talisman Tribal 2x4. The leather on the Talisman is much nicer in my opinion, and it is also a more understated design. It definitely seemed lighter to me, even though it holds an extra shaft. <hr /></blockquote>

Instroke uses all different kinds of leathers across four lines of cases. How any particular type of leather "feels" is utterly subjective and varies greatly from person to person. What is appealing is also something that varies from person to person. I like the look of the Talisman cases a lot. The Tribals are funky and somewhat different. If I were just a consumer who bought on looks alone then I would probably go for one. Of course I would own an Instroke a well because I like the way they look as well. And there are older Instrokes, no longer made, whch were the pre-cursors to the Predator Cases that I liked even better than the scalloped design. As they say, "beauty is in the eye of the beholder."

John

daviddjmp
03-01-2004, 05:31 PM
Granted, as long as the cue is protected, the rest is completely subjective-

Chris Cass
03-02-2004, 10:49 AM
Hi John,

Screw the clasps, I want your friendship back.

C.C.

Chris Cass
03-02-2004, 10:55 AM
Sorry Dude,

Derick is a very good player from Mn. He has a case descibed by you as we speak. LOL Jamie Bowman is trying to catch up to him with his current Instroke look alike. hahahaha My humble apology.

Regards,

C.C.

superB
02-15-2005, 01:11 PM
I was thinking about buying an Instroke case, but I wanted to make sure I got the newest model. Other than the diamond latch, have there been any other revisions in the design recently such that there is a new model I should ask for? Is there a "2005" model?

DickLeonard
02-16-2005, 07:02 AM
Kato 3790 posts then nothing I was worried about you. I had put you in with Richard Cranium as among the missing, Richard came back and is now among the missing again.

I have always felt a beautiful case attracts a thief while a garbage case repells the thief.####

DickLeonard
02-16-2005, 08:46 AM
Sorry I guess I am a real dummy, how this post reappeared I don't know, only that it was a leap year post. I saw Kato name and never checked anything . All these posts are from 04.

They are coming to take me Away.####

landshark77
02-16-2005, 12:50 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote DickLeonard:</font><hr> Kato 3790 posts then nothing I was worried about you.
<hr /></blockquote>

Yeah...I was wondering where you went too, Kato!

Rich R.
02-17-2005, 07:49 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote landshark77:</font><hr> Yeah...I was wondering where you went too, Kato! <hr /></blockquote>
Dick and Landshark, you have to check the date on Kato's original post. This thread was started by Kato back in February. /ccboard/images/graemlins/blush.gif

Kato is alive and well, but not reading the CCB as much as he should. /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Voodoo Daddy
02-17-2005, 10:45 AM
Case? Shouldnt you actually "PLAY" some pool to warrant buying a $562,220.00 case? What is the world coming too?

landshark77
02-18-2005, 09:10 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Rich R.:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote landshark77:</font><hr> Yeah...I was wondering where you went too, Kato! <hr /></blockquote>
Dick and Landshark, you have to check the date on Kato's original post. This thread was started by Kato back in February. /ccboard/images/graemlins/blush.gif

Kato is alive and well, but not reading the CCB as much as he should. /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif
<hr /></blockquote>

Thanx Rich. Come back soon Kato. /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif