PDA

View Full Version : Ball-In-Hand rule question

Lanny
03-01-2004, 09:45 AM
A friend and I got into a disagreement about the BIH rule while playing 9-ball.He hates it and thinks it should be played like 8-ball,where the incoming player gets the cue ball behind the head-string after a scratch.I say that BIH is comparable to free throws in basketball,a penalty for committing a foul,he says that the two can't be compared.Any thoughts on my analogy?

While we're on the subject,what do you think the objective/reason was for instating this rule?

Thanks,
Lanny

Frank_Glenn
03-01-2004, 09:52 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Lanny:</font><hr> A friend and I got into a disagreement about the BIH rule while playing 9-ball.He hates it and thinks it should be played like 8-ball,where the incoming player gets the cue ball behind the head-string after a scratch.I say that BIH is comparable to free throws in basketball,a penalty for committing a foul,he says that the two can't be compared.Any thoughts on my analogy?

While we're on the subject,what do you think the objective/reason was for instating this rule?

Thanks,
Lanny <hr /></blockquote>

8 ball is only behind the line on a scratch on the break. All other times it is BIH anywhere on the table in both APA, TAP, &amp; BCA.

Lanny
03-01-2004, 10:17 AM
Frank,
I'm aware of all that you said,but do you feel that I made a good comparison between free throws in basketball and BIH being a penalty for committing a foul?And what do you think was the reason for the rule coming into existance?

Lanny

Wally_in_Cincy
03-01-2004, 10:31 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Lanny:</font><hr> ...what do you think was the reason for the rule coming into existance? <hr /></blockquote>

Since nobody responded I'll take a stab at it.

Speaking strictly regarding 8-ball, BIH prevents your opponent from scratching intentionally when your ball/balls are all in the kitchen, forcing you to kick at them.

pooltchr
03-01-2004, 11:23 AM
Wally, I agree that is one reason for the rule. The penalty is fair in that it keeps players from just slamming into everything and hoping something drops. The other thing to consider is that BIH makes the game move faster...good for tv, good for tournaments...maybe not so good for the game.

=k=
03-01-2004, 11:37 AM
lanny i don't know about basket ball but chess, yes maybe prevents stalemates.. say you have two balls blocking your object ball if you just miss and give him a bih behind the head string you still haven't a shot.. this could go on and on.. good safety's are great, /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

tateuts
03-01-2004, 01:28 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Lanny:</font><hr> A friend and I got into a disagreement about the BIH rule while playing 9-ball.He hates it and thinks it should be played like 8-ball,where the incoming player gets the cue ball behind the head-string after a scratch.I say that BIH is comparable to free throws in basketball,a penalty for committing a foul,he says that the two can't be compared.Any thoughts on my analogy?

Thanks,

Lanny,

Agreed, ball in hand is a penalty for fouling. I like the free throw analogy.

I think ball in hand is superior to shoot outs and the old way we used to play. We actually used to play ball in hand behind the line like you said on scratches. I think we spotted up the object ball if it was in the kitchen. This was as bad as getting a good roll or a bad roll, because you were never guaranteed of a shot on the object ball depending on it's location. With ball in hand you almost always have a shot.

The benefit of all of this is that most of us have drastically improved our kicking, safety, and hooking skills.

Chris

sidepocketsam
03-01-2004, 03:51 PM
I agree that ball in hand is the correct penalty over ball in the kitchen. A foul should always be something that everyone trys to avoid on just about every shot. Also, I don't know about other leagues, but in VNEA, the rule use to be ball behind the kitchen on all fouls plus 3 consecutive fouls was loss of game. They did away with both and inserted the ball in hand rule which I like much better

Frank_Glenn
03-01-2004, 07:17 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Lanny:</font><hr> Frank,
I'm aware of all that you said,but do you feel that I made a good comparison between free throws in basketball and BIH being a penalty for committing a foul?And what do you think was the reason for the rule coming into existance?

I think it's a fair analgy. I think the rule is to get away from unsportsman like shots. An example of scratching with the 8 in th kitchen or just rolling the cueball behind something and not hitting a rail.

Barbara
03-01-2004, 07:50 PM
Lanny,

The BIH ruling came about so that the person committing a foul should not benefit from the foul.

Okay, so you could argue that you could find a way to commit a foul and benefit from the way you left the table positioned. Yeah, that will always happen and in 9-ball you have the three strikes you're out rule, in 14.1 the 15 balls subtraction from your score on three, and in 8-ball if the table is too stinky, you have the stalemate rule.

But the theory behind BIH was to not let the person committing the foul gain any advantage by doing so.

Barbara