PDA

View Full Version : Rules Question

Paul_Mon
03-01-2004, 01:12 PM
Can I place the bridge on the table and then make a hand bridge on the bridge head? This came up in the Jumping thread and I don't think it was answered.

Paul Mon

Ken
03-01-2004, 01:24 PM
Paul,
That's a good one. I think if Earl can use finger stilts that you could bring anything to the table and make a bridge on top of it. I have a feeling it's an area that has not been considered yet.
Ken

tateuts
03-01-2004, 01:42 PM
Since you can stack bridges, I don't see why not.

Chris

Wally_in_Cincy
03-01-2004, 01:47 PM
Never actually used this but... TomCincy (who knows his rules pretty well) showed me how to lay the bridge sideways (resting on the long rails) and set your bridge hand on the shaft of the mechanical bridge to make a bridge.

So if that's legal I assume Paul's situation would be legal as well.

Wally~~like James Brown, just looking for the bridge /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Fred Agnir
03-01-2004, 02:08 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Paul_Mon:</font><hr> Can I place the bridge on the table and then make a hand bridge on the bridge head? This came up in the Jumping thread and I don't think it was answered.

Paul Mon <hr /></blockquote>It's been discussed now again. Rule 1.3 in the BCA Rulebook makes this illegal.

"For example, powder containers, chalk cubes, etc., may not be used to prop up a mechanical bridge (or natural hand bridge); no more than two mechanical bridges may be used at one time; nor may they be used to support anything other than the cue shaft ..."

My current Rulebook doesn't have the words "... or another bridge..." but it should, IMO.

Fred

Tom_In_Cincy
03-01-2004, 02:10 PM
Very Good memory Wally.

I got this tip from one of the past BCA Rules committee reps. Bob Jewett. Good resource I would think.

Fred Agnir
03-01-2004, 02:24 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Tom_In_Cincy:</font><hr> Very Good memory Wally.

I got this tip from one of the past BCA Rules committee reps. Bob Jewett. Good resource I would think. <hr /></blockquote>Here's what Bob responded a few years ago to the same situation:

Hand Bridge on a Mechanical Bridge (http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=en&amp;lr=&amp;ie=UTF-8&amp;oe=UTF-8&amp;selm=7_nN5.83%24583.391278%40nntp.labs.agilent.c om)

Fred

Ralph S.
03-01-2004, 03:04 PM
I watched a televised match where Karen Corr stacked one bridge on top of another to play a shot. BTW she made the shot. So, I assume you can atleast use two bridges stacked on top of each other.

Barbara
03-01-2004, 03:23 PM
And two bridges is the limit, according to the rule that Fred stated - 1.3 Use of Equipment.

Barbara

Paul_Mon
03-01-2004, 03:41 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Ralph S.:</font><hr> I watched a televised match where Karen Corr stacked one bridge on top of another to play a shot. BTW she made the shot. So, I assume you can atleast use two bridges stacked on top of each other. <hr /></blockquote>

Ralph,
The bridges I have at home actually lock together. Horizontally, vertically or one of each. Kinda nice but seldom used. When I had my rotator cuff surgery I learned to shoot a little better opposite handed. I prefer that to using a bridge.

Paul Mon

Tom_In_Cincy
03-01-2004, 03:55 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Fred Agnir:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote Paul_Mon:</font><hr> Can I place the bridge on the table and then make a hand bridge on the bridge head? This came up in the Jumping thread and I don't think it was answered.

Paul Mon <hr /></blockquote>It's been discussed now again. Rule 1.3 in the BCA Rulebook makes this illegal.

"For example, powder containers, chalk cubes, etc., may not be used to prop up a mechanical bridge (or natural hand bridge); no more than two mechanical bridges may be used at one time; nor may they be used to support anything other than the cue shaft ..."

My current Rulebook doesn't have the words "... or another bridge..." but it should, IMO.

Fred <hr /></blockquote>

Interesting wording to say the least.

If you lay the bridge across the top of the two long rails, and steady the bridge with your hand, and then place the cue shaft on the wood of the bridge (not your fingers) and use the side of your hand as a 'guide rest' for the cue (the cue still touching the wood of the bridge) I would rule this acceptable in a tournament.

Vauge rule, needs rewording.. you'd think after 55+ years of publishing rules the BCA would get it correct at some point.

cheesemouse
03-01-2004, 04:50 PM
Tom &amp; Fred,

So if I take just the bridge head of that 'Bat or Moose' w/o the wood shaft and wrap my bridge hand in it in such a way(lenght wise) that it gives me a couple more inches of height for a jump or an over a ball shot...it is illegal?????

Chris Cass
03-01-2004, 04:53 PM
Hi Paul,

Corey does it and I also have. My opponents don't like it much but I've even been known to stack the bridges in the 80's. It's using the bridge and nothing more IMHO. Matter of fact there was an old hussle to where you would bet your opponent and just shoot with the bridge and your cue of course. The trick is to lay the bridge on your shoulder and hold the metal part with your hand replacing the normal hand bridge. Looks goofy but it's almost easier than your hand bridge. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

Regards,

C.C.~~also jumps one handed.

Chris Cass
03-01-2004, 05:00 PM
Oops,

I stand corrected. I swore I've seen Corey do this with the bridge. Thanks Fred for the ruling. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Regards,

C.C.

tateuts
03-01-2004, 05:00 PM
Well there are two solutions the way I see it:

1) Wear stilts similar to the ones drywallers use.

2) Patent a mechanical bridge specifically for jump shots. It will be cast from polymer in the shape of Earl's left hand bridge with the finger extenders, with a short handle and an optional very short fuse.

Chris

Tom_In_Cincy
03-01-2004, 05:30 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote cheesemouse:</font><hr> Tom &amp; Fred,

So if I take just the bridge head of that 'Bat or Moose' w/o the wood shaft and wrap my bridge hand in it in such a way(lenght wise) that it gives me a couple more inches of height for a jump or an over a ball shot...it is illegal????? <hr /></blockquote>

Oh...yeah.. Cheese is ready for GOLF.. aren't you?

To much time on your hands..

To answer your question, IMO I would have to rule your situation a "FOUL". The entire mechanical bridge device MUST be used.... but, I am sure this needs to be clarified.
Earl's finger bridges has not been ruled illegal that I know of.. or it hasn't been made public yet.

Thanks Cheese for making me think again today.. maybe I'll get into the habit /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

cheesemouse
03-01-2004, 06:37 PM
Tom,

/ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gifYou busted me...I am ready for golf it has been a long winter...I still have to keep it up for pool for another couple months though...that extra inch or two is really a god sent...I was hoping for a legal answer.....

SPetty
03-01-2004, 08:56 PM
A year or so ago, Mueller's sold a little plastic dealie that would help you make a bridge or help you bridge or something like that, that you would hold in your bridge hand. The words with it claimed it was BCA legal to use.