PDA

View Full Version : Marge Schott on her deathbed

Wally_in_Cincy
03-02-2004, 12:11 PM
Marge Schott has been removed from life support and has received last rites. She will soon pass on to that big baseball stadium in the sky.

My friends, in the next few days you will see the national media (ESPN in particular) trash this poor woman's legacy, recounting every unfounded rumor and accusation ever made about her.

When this happens remember this. This was a good woman. She was a bit nutty and foolish and she did not know when to shut her mouth. But she truly had a heart of gold. She loved children so much and she was terribly hurt that she never had any of her own. She was very generous with her time and money. She had her baseball team taken away from her while Ted Turner was able to keep his despite his numerous anti-religious remarks.

Please understand this. She was a good woman.

Rest in peace Marge.

UWPoolGod
03-02-2004, 12:24 PM
Sorry to hear that about Margie. She was a force to be reckoned with during the Chris Sabo years. I always remember her being portrayed as a bad person by the media.

Candyman
03-02-2004, 02:59 PM
I am sorry to hear of Marge's death. Thanks for your perspective Wally. You were right! She is already being slammed. You know how the media operates. Know matter how many good things you have done in your life, the mistakes make much better press in their view. /ccboard/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Barbara
03-02-2004, 08:23 PM
Wally,

I think we've all run into this kind of person and we have our own fond remembrances despite what the public would be told.

I remember a few of the stories and they were sad in the context that the writers were really trying to start something that wasn't all that great to write about.

I'm sorry for Cincy.

Barbara

PQQLK9
03-02-2004, 09:05 PM
Just read that Marge has indeed passed on. May she rest in peace.
I wonder if Shotzy (her dog) is still around? /ccboard/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

Wally_in_Cincy
03-03-2004, 07:35 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote PQQLK9:</font><hr> Just read that Marge has indeed passed on. May she rest in peace.
I wonder if Shotzy (her dog) is still around? /ccboard/images/graemlins/shocked.gif <hr /></blockquote>

I think the original Schottzie died around 1986. Then she got "Schottzie 02" who was an offspring of Beethoven (the St. Bernard in the movie). Schottzie 02 died about 3 years ago.

Folks around here loved Margie. Born Margaret Unnewehr here in Cincy she fit right in with all these thrifty Germans and Dutchmen around here /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

UWPoolGod
03-03-2004, 09:06 AM
How did she get all of her money? Was she married to someone rich who died..or the owner?

Cueless Joey
03-03-2004, 09:36 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote UWPoolGod:</font><hr> How did she get all of her money? Was she married to someone rich who died..or the owner? <hr /></blockquote>
She owned car lots.

Wally_in_Cincy
03-03-2004, 09:44 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote UWPoolGod:</font><hr> How did she get all of her money? Was she married to someone rich who died..or the owner? <hr /></blockquote>

She married money. Her husband Charlie had a brick factory, a cigar box factory, and a Buick dealership. He died young. Marge was about 40 when he died and she jumped and took over the businesses and did very well.

She was a big Reds fan and she bought a share (1/16) of the Reds in the 70's. She bought majority control in 1984 (9 shares total) for $16 million. When she was forced out she sold them for $60 million I think.

She also had 125 acres in exclusive Indian Hill. Worth about $250,000 per acre /ccboard/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

I think she lived on the same road as Carl Lindner ("Uncle Carl", current Reds owner), Peter Frampton (he married a Cincy gal), Richard Farmer (billionare owner of CINTAS), and Mike Brown (Bengals owner).

Wally_in_Cincy
03-03-2004, 09:49 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Cueless Joey:</font><hr>Players could not stand that dog going to the field with them either.

<font color="blue">Yeah you're right about that. But she had no malicious intent. Kids loved the dogs and that's all she cared about. </font color>

She was a chain smoker.
She did bring a title to Cincy after Rose was banned.

<font color="blue">Yep. She got her a ring. Not all owners can say that. That was Pete's team too. But Lou Pinella was a great manager that year. </font color>

It was probably the biggest upset in baseball ever. 40 to 1 shot to sweep the Mighty A's.

<font color="blue">And I was at both home games /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif Most fun I have ever had with my clothes on. </font color>
<hr /></blockquote>

Cueless Joey
03-03-2004, 11:43 AM
Wally, did you hear about that guy who won a million dollars on that series?
He bet 50 grand on the sweep.
He had a heart attack when one player bunter with two strikes on him with the tying run on base. He bunted for a hit and Sabo I believe hit a dinger after that. This was a game in Oakland.
I believe Billy Hatcher still holds the record for WS average. He hit everything he saw in that series.
Of course, Jose Blame It On Rijo was unhittable in that series.
I hope Margie has a great time in heaven.

Wally_in_Cincy
03-03-2004, 11:57 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Cueless Joey:</font><hr> Wally, did you hear about that guy who won a million dollars on that series?
He bet 50 grand on the sweep.

<font color="blue">Don't remember that. I knew the mighty A's were not going to walk over the Reds though. Not with Rijo and the Nasty Boys-Rob Dibble, Norm Charlton and Randy Myers. </font color>

I believe Billy Hatcher still holds the record for WS average. He hit everything he saw in that series.

<font color="blue">I think he got 7 hits in his first 7 AB's. On the eigth AB an A's pitcher hit him and broke his wrist /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif </font color>

Of course, Jose Blame It On Rijo was unhittable in that series.

<font color="blue">He sacrificed his arm for that team. He was sore from July on but he never mentioned it. He was never quite as good after that. </font color>

I hope Margie has a great time in heaven.

<font color="blue">Only if God says "Smoke 'em if ya got 'em" /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif </font color> <hr /></blockquote>

Tom_In_Cincy
03-03-2004, 02:35 PM
Wally,

A little known fact about Marge. Her husband and father were pool players and Marge was quick to add $100 to local tournaments in the early 90s. Of course she was also quick to add a Buick sales banner there also. She never played but did attend the tournaments.

I had a chance to speak with her the year she hired 'sweet Lou'. I asked if it was going to happen.. and she said.. Lou has to ask/get permission from his women first.. (mom and wife). They liked the NY life and were very reserved about moving to Cincinnati. I guess they changed their mind.

Marge gave both of my boys autographed baseballs (the balls even had a 'Shotzy' paw print on them) when they asked during a game once. Marge hardly ever sat in the Owners Box. She had seats just behind the dugout and was very approachable during the home games.

She will be missed.

Wally_in_Cincy
03-03-2004, 02:57 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Tom_In_Cincy:</font><hr> ...Marge hardly ever sat in the Owners Box. She had seats just behind the dugout and was very approachable during the home games.

<font color="blue">Me and my buddy got our picture taken with her next to her seats one time. The only other time I met her she was walking along the concourse from her office right before a game. This was when Pete was in limbo and the gambling rumors were flying.

I said "Hey Marge. Are you all right?"

<font color="red">Aw I'm hangin' in there Babe" </font color> </font color>

<font color="blue">I said "Well it'll get better" </font color>

<font color="red">"Well shweetie it couldn't get no worse" /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif </font color>

She will be missed.

<font color="blue">Tom, we'll not see another like her. They broke the mold LOL. </font color> <hr /></blockquote>

<font color="blue">Wally~~wishes he could play straights with Tony Annigoni like some people I know /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif </font color>